• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Canadian NDP party Sucks and or Rules

praktik

TRIBE Member
I'm a Canadian, I'm used to Sikhs and Muslims. Grew up with both of them as close friends growing up.

One of em worked on Halo game series for many years in California. Has a life size Master Chief in his house..

The Sikh I know cut all his hair in his 20s,which was his prerogative. Family was super nice. Dad helped in scouts.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I'm a Canadian, I'm used to Sikhs and Muslims. Grew up with both of them as close friends growing up.
So same here. go bark up another tree.

I find as we get older though, we don't speak as much. probably think i'm a stupid guy!

praktik

TRIBE Member
So same here. go bark up another tree.

I find as we get older though, we don't speak as much. probably think i'm a stupid guy!
I thought you asserted "we aren't used to" these religions. Looks like both of us have been used to them our whole lives.

So are you making shit up? Which post is the lie?

Mondieu

TRIBE Member

One of em worked on Halo game series for many years in California. Has a life size Master Chief in his house..

The Sikh I know cut all his hair in his 20s,which was his prerogative. Family was super nice. Dad helped in scouts.
100%

I count human beings of many cultures and persuasions among those I love. There's something to be said there because I don't LOVE that many human beings.

Having said that - and while we're on the subject... The vast majority of assholes I've had dealings with since 1976* have been white, Anglo, Christian-raised, closeted-rubes.

*Nursary school. Gordy came at me with the spring blade on THIS. Fucking terrifying. Why Mr. and Mrs. Heacock let him play with it and how he got past pre-school security, I'll never know. ...but I'll NEVER forget.

praktik

TRIBE Member
That french tradition is a little weird, its like if we suppress all visible signs of religiousity, except the wearing of a crucifix of course, we will achieve secular nirvana.

Its like fixating on the symbolism instead of the root, and it leads to all kinds of irrational suppression and ridiculous outcomes like the banning of the burkini in France.

Whats more illiberal than telling people how to clothe themselves?

In this perversion we end up using illiberal means to seek an ostensibly liberal (in the classical sense) outcome.

Jaspreet wears a funny hat, so to some people he is just crazy religious.

Mostly its an "othering"

JamesM

TRIBE Member
well he'll be the first PM that actively wears a dagger.

Kirpan.

Why is this seemingly looking like a protest. Religion isn't the problem it's the presentation which looks like protest. come on.

Harper threw Ignatieff under the bus for being an american journalist. By actively aligning yourself with a small base, you're not being wide.

And if the NDP want to go for this guy. I don't know how he's going to perform.

There are many relevancies as you said, in Quebec. it's real problem and can't make the next election based on religion.

I haven't seen any planks.

A Chat with Jagmeet Singh, the Incredibly Well-Dressed Rising Star in Canadian Politics

But if we have an environment where we discourage and denounce hate, and repeat the message of inclusivity, being welcoming, and ensuring people feel like they belong, then we can help end these horrific acts. On a personal level, I have experienced Islamophobia. As a very visible Sikh, I have received the brunt of a lot of anti-Muslim hate while carrying an image of what people stereotypically associate with Muslim men. My response as a Sikh is not to say “I am not a Muslim,” but to say “hate is wrong.”
yes this is all pretty horrible, but I'm not seeing policy.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Ok. I think Turbans and Hijab's are a bit much. It's really intimidating.

I never grew up with that stuff. And it seems like it's overbearing. Scares a complete white british guy.

This guy looks like some kind of hipster. And he'll bury the NDP no one will vote for him at this point.

Just doesn't really understand what Jack Layton even said.

does this make me a racist for seeing this?
wow.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Being racist. But I'm not exactly saying she's wrong because this guy is preaching. Didn't you grow up in a small town?

He won't run for Canadian politics and have the decency to at least take his hat off. It's a giant FU.
James...you need to stop drinking.
This was a quote from you, page 1 of this thread.
You really need to stop.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
yeah so it's different for me. It is for many. It is a protest. And believe me I'm being just playing the other end of the spectrum sometimes. Which the NDP will have to take into consideration when they elect.

It's just what's going to inevitably happen if he goes up against it.

Legal Pot. Vs. Indian culture.

Boil it down to that. I haven't seen much more than Trump trying his best at ww3.

I'm sure Elizabeth May will get her seat.. and whatever the cons can come up with.