1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Canadian Liberal Party

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Lojack, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

In the spirits of both equality and diversity, I present the Canadian Liberal Party Sucks Thread, to accompany both the Conservative and NDP versions previously established.

To start, I'll choose an esoteric topic: the Vehicle Advisory Committee.

The Committee has recently been re-formed with a total of 10 members. These members advise the Federal Government on all manner of vehicle issues. It is considered an "expert" panel.

3 of the 10 members are known to be current or former users and/or owners of vehicles. One member utilized theirs for work, one utilized theirs for recreation, the last is award winning in several related sporting disciplines.

1 is a former and respected member of the judiciary.

2 represent the medical profession as heads of their respective medical associations.

2 represent women, one as part of a national organization, one on behalf of aboriginal women.

1 is a former head of a police association

1 is part of a lobby group, who witnessed people killed by someone using a vehicle many years ago.

5 of the above are vocal supporters of a vehicle regulation lobby group which the Liberal government has funded directly and indirectly over the years when in power. This group lobbied for restrictions in power and capacity, as well as banning a wide range of vehicles deemed dangerous. Based on analysis by a number of folks over the years, the basis for establishing whether a vehicle was dangerous was whether or not the vehicle was used in certain types of action films.

It is expected that the committee will provide political cover for the Liberals to implement bans of additional vehicles deemed dangerous by the above "experts". The bans will not require additional legislation but will likely be implemented by Order in Council (OIC). Millions of owners of the affected vehicles will likely not be compensated financially for the impact and will face criminal charges if they do not provide proof of destruction or turn the vehicle into authorities within 30 days of the ban taking effect. Further, owners of vehicles will face further limitations and restrictions, including travel.

Does that seem wrong to you?

(I've written vehicles but I'm referring to something else entirely, because they are counting on ignorance)

2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Wow. That's the first thing you're bringing out against the Liberals ?

3. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

They were the kings of setting shit expectations for budgets and dropping surprise surpluses

Sandbaggers Extraordinaire

5. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

"As Finance Minister Bill Morneau prepares to table his March 22 budget, the Liberal brain-trust is persuaded that Canadians don’t care enough about deficits to punish any government that runs them. Not even one whose fiscal projections have Ottawa seeing red through mid-century. ... There are more than a few problems with this attitude, starting with the idea that the government’s finances have no bearing on the financial well-being of individual Canadians. If you pay taxes or receive government benefits, Ottawa’s balance sheet has a direct impact on your own. Chronic deficits inevitably lead to higher taxes and fewer benefits. Ask Greece.” – Konrad Yakabuski

6. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

<rolls eyes at Greece reference and boilerplate 90s deficit hawkishness>

7. Blysspluss

Blysspluss TRIBE Member

<Rolls eyes at blazé attitude 'round our tax dollars. Deficits aren't bad when the money is well-managed. I have no confidence that is the case. Given the 200mil "earmarked" publicly for FN youth is actually on the books as money to attract mining investment... These cats need to stop effing lying about everything. I know it won't happen and it's a part of politics...but damn. The lies after this short period are getting to be extensive.

8. Where are all the pictures?

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

We're gonna be Greece!

Except for the different natural resources, base economic drivers, different demographics, different domestic policy history and political cultures.

You know apart from all that, our deficits make us like Greece, or something.

Except for the fact Greece is Greece and Canada is Canada and our history of deficits is in no way similar nor is it about to be.

Greece serves as a convenient punching bag to drive column inches in fiscal hawk columns, but it's not really a serious comparison.

10. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I'm not blasé so much as I'm not alarmist about the deficit and don't automatically think they are bad nor do I think they deserve as much primacy in the policy mix, especially after enduring decades of over emphasis on it.

11. Blysspluss

Blysspluss TRIBE Member

I'm not alarmist either, just alarmed. How the moneyspending is being sold to the public and what it's actually being spent on seem to be 2 different things. I totally understand why folks have emphasized deficits are bad(something I disagree with mostly). These deficits we're running...is it because the money is being well-spent and will help us in the future? Or help us "bounce back" economically? Sure doesn't look that way. Just pork n beans, far as the eye can see.

12. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

Blysspluss likes this.
  13. Blysspluss

Blysspluss TRIBE Member

Sunny ways as long as they're Dear Leader's. Those other "open" ways ways aren't as sunny, I guess. *shakes head*

14. basketballjones

dear leader is gerald butts. trudeau is just his sock puppet

15. Blysspluss

Blysspluss TRIBE Member

If true, a very stylish and attractive puppet. We have all the best puppets. World-renowned, even.

16. basketballjones

if you are a fan of what is going on in ontario, just wait a tick cause its already on its way to the rest of the country!

17. Blysspluss

Blysspluss TRIBE Member

Doubtful. My province is run by ideological Conservatives, who have spent a decade running its finances into the ground, but have a MUCH better spin crew and less oversight than Wynne. Plus corporate donations are a big deal here(we're the last province whose Premier gets a pay bump from his party beyond the taxpayer funded salary).

18. basketballjones

i was gonna say you live in bc, cause christy clark gets the same. you must be in sask

Blysspluss likes this.
  19. Blysspluss

Blysspluss TRIBE Member

Christy announced she was giving that up this year. Making us the last holdout on this strange arrangement.

20. 18 fucking posts and no pictures! This thread fucking sucks.

wickedken likes this.
  21. basketballjones

22. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Conway is the greatest

23. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

ndrwrld: I try the paths less traveled. Though it seems only you figured it out, so good on you.

24. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

Hey, if I got together with my politically acute friend(s) from university, there's no limit to the the nonsense we could get up to. Hehe.

25. Blysspluss

Blysspluss TRIBE Member

Whatcha mean? It is unclear. You could form a party?