• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Canadian International Air Show 2013 Edition

mudbunny

TRIBE Member
Is it worth attending this year?

Some friends and I watched the show from Toronto Island (near Hanlan's) a few years ago. 2008 or 2009 It was great! It was the year when the Americans had their jets out on full display. The weather forecast is going to be nice over the long weekend so...

Just asking?

acheron

TRIBE Member
The lineup this year isn't that bad, all things considered. All US military teams are out for the season due to the budget sequestration earlier this year. So that means no F-16, no F-22, no Blue Angels or Thunderbirds, etc.

But the CIAS has managed to cobble together a rather intriguing bunch of private operators for this year's show:

Along with the Snowbirds and CF-18 Hornet, we have:

AV-8B Sea Harrier Demo - this one really interests me as I haven't ever seen a VTOL demo before... the Harrier hasn't been here in a long while and this one's privately owned which is kinda cool.

Red Star & The Dragon - Viper 29 and BAC-167 Strikemaster heritage jet team.

CT-155 Hawk flybys (the Hawk is the Canadian Forces' current trainer. There is a bit of buzz that these are the planes that will eventually replace the jets the Snowbirds currently fly. They're much more fun to watch.

L-39 Albatross - Soviet high performance jet trainer - really nice smooth motion and very fast.

and then an assortment of prop planes/stunts:

Corsair Demo
Great War Flying Museum - Triplane, Biplane demo
Matt Younkin - Twin Beech demo
Kent Pietsch - crazy deadstick motherfucker does half his show with no power.
Mike Wiskus - perennial favourite biplane crazyperson
Lucas Oil Jumpers - parachute demo
Trojan Horsemen - six-plane WW2 era formation flying
Air Cadet Glider demo

so yeah, given what they have to work with, this should be the CIAS's best show in a while. There's certainly a lot more speed in the schedule than in previous years.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
I miss the F22 Raptor, and others that used to come. The airshow this year and last seems kinda weak. We shall see....We usually make it over to the Island with our sun tent, and dog in tow. This year with Parker, maybe a weee too loud. Might have to get ear defenders if we are going to make a go of it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

acheron

TRIBE Member
I have to shoot the thing on Saturday but Sunday or Monday could work! I'm in for pic-a-nicking

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Very busy this weekend with my sister's wedding outside of Toronto, but still want to see it this year. Will only be able to catch one day, so I have chosen September 1st. to be at the CNE that day since I will going to Depeche Mode at the Molson Amphitheatre that night.

mudbunny

TRIBE Member
The AV-8B Sea Harrier Demo looks interesting. We're going to the Sunday show. We're taking our bikes and find a spot to watch near Hanlans.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
I'll post some pics later but this one had to be posted NOW lol...

This guy was hanging around the VIP/press area... I sat with his wife Helène and him while they had a bite to eat, very nice people altogether. She took the photo!

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
roll call for planespotting tomorrow..

meeting acheron at the ferry terminal for 1145, look for his iconic blue angels hat! then heading to hanlans to watch the show, enjoy some food and beverages.

should be a good day and the weather looks good

mudbunny

TRIBE Member
We are heading to Hanlan's today with a group of 6 on bikes.

Mr Chris is bringing along his IPA and Mennonite pepperoni sticks.

We will keep an eye out for Tribers :)

Love that pic Acheron!

acheron

TRIBE Member
lol he's fucking crazy - Kent Peitsch - he does this routine without an aileron on one of his wings, too - it's all rudder.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
bush pilots be like: "no runway, DON'T CARE LOL!!1!"

[YOUTUBE]23P7TZVUhPc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GyFq4Bm9eEY[/YOUTUBE]

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
thats crazy how littel room they need to take off and land !

is it hard to get a license to fly a plane that small?

, that looks scary and awesome at the same time !!!

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
private license takes about 50hrs of flight time training typically split up over 2 hrs/week. i did it full time and it took 7 weeks.

so- not too hard to get the qualifications and not too hard to get yourself into trouble thereafter

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
hehe i can only imagine !

how many years(hours) have those bush pilots flown that give them enough experience to make landings and take offs look so easy/crazy?