• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Canadian Identity

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Canadian Identity?

What is it? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but an Englishman at the pub tonight got me thinking tonight.

He was all bent out of shape because he's lived here for 15 years and still can't define it.

After a few beers and some good discussion I came to the realization that the Canadian Identity is "we don't need one because we are Canadian"

Thoughts?

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
It is widely recognized that the search for identity in itself is a huge part of our identity.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
agentRC4 said:
Canadian Identity?

What is it? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but an Englishman at the pub tonight got me thinking tonight.

He was all bent out of shape because he's lived here for 15 years and still can't define it.

After a few beers and some good discussion I came to the realization that the Canadian Identity is "we don't need one because we are Canadian"

Thoughts?

we're everything.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

freshest1

TRIBE Member
maple surp, back bacon, driving 10 blocks instead of walking, smoking weed, smoking meth, having sex with a 14 y/o hooker.

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
every race, creed, colour, religion, and orientation living peacefully together and freezing their asses off together.

~*...normaste...*~

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I think I can finally explain it.

It definitely exists, that's for sure!

But right now I just finished work and am starting the weekend with a beer and a smoke and have to malke some plans for the weekend. Also I'm watching the cutest of cute boys do my laundry. Aw....

-jM
A&D

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
S
Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God went missing for six days.
Eventually, Michael the archangel found him, resting on the seventh day.
He inquired of God, "Where have you been?"
God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds,
"Look Michael, look what I've made."
Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "What is it?"
"It's a planet," replied God, "and I've put LIFE on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance."
"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused.
God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth, "For example, Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while Southern Europe is going to be poor; the Middle East over there will be a hot spot. Over there I've placed a continent of white people and over there is a continent of black people," God continued, pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot and arid while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."
The Archangel, impressed by Gods work, then pointed to a large land mass the top corner and asked, "What's that one?"
"Ah," said God. "That's Canada, the most glorious place on Earth. There's beautiful mountains, lakes, rivers, streams and an exquisite coast-line. The people from Canada are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous and they're going to be found traveling the world. They'll be extremely sociable, hard-working and high achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace. I'm also going to give them super-human, undefeatable ice hockey players who will be admired and feared by all who come across them."
Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed. "What about balance, God? You said there will be BALANCE!"
God replied wisely. "Wait until you see the loud-mouth bastards I'm putting next to them."

CO2

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:
It is widely recognized that the search for identity in itself is a huge part of our identity.
Its funny, it seems the Americans and ourselves think that we lack any sort of identity, or even feel that its needed. Most of the rest of the world dosent agree.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
SIGNS THAT YOU ARE OF THE CANADIAN PERSUASION
  1. You stand in "line-ups" at the movie, not lines.
  2. You're not offended by the term, "Homo Milk"
  3. You understand the phrase, "Could you please pass me a serviette, I just spilled my poutine"
  4. You eat chocolate bars instead of candy bars.
  5. You drink pop, not soda.
  6. You know what it means to be on pogey.
  7. You know that a mickey and 2-4's mean "Party at the camp, eh!!"
  8. You don't hold your hand on your breast when you sing the national anthem.
  9. You can drink legally while still a 'teen.
  10. You know that francophones, Anglophones and allophones are not electronic devices.
  11. You talk about the weather with strangers and friends alike.
  12. You don't know or care about the fuss with Cuba, it's just a cheap place to travel to and has good cigars.
  13. When there is a social problem, you turn to your government to fix it instead of telling them to stay out of it.
  14. You're not sure if the leader of our nation has EVER had sex and don't want to know if he has!
  15. You get milk in bags as well as cartons and plastic jugs.
  16. Pike is a type of fish, not some part of a highway.
  17. You drive on a highway, not a freeway.
  18. You sit on a couch not a chesterfield - that is some small town in Quebec!
  19. You know what a Robertson screwdriver is.
  20. You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.
  21. You know that Thrills are something to chew and "taste like soap".
  22. You know that Mounties "don't always look like that"
  23. You read rather than scanned this list.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
Well from my opinion I think Canadians are alot more tolerant than alot of other nationalities. Yeah sure its hard to define "canadian" but its the mix of different cultures etc living together that make it Canada.
I've had Aussies tell me "toronto was a real "canadian" city while Vancouver felt like asia"

Hypnotic

TRIBE Member
When you inadvertently bump into someone or step on their shoe or wack them with your purse or fail to hold the door open, as soon as you realize it, you turn around, smile and politely say either "excuse me" or "Sorry". Politeness is the hallmark of our identity!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

billy

TRIBE Member
i had a thread going a few months ago asking people to describe their hometown in canada or a city they spent some time in. there are some good entries and definitely would add some insight to the question posed here. the problem is, the search feature isn't funtioning (why is that?).

why not

TRIBE Member
CO2 said:
Its funny, it seems the Americans and ourselves think that we lack any sort of identity, or even feel that its needed. Most of the rest of the world dosent agree.
i think americans generally have a strong sense of identity, and could describe what it is to be american.
most canadians would find that a much harder question to answer.

we may not be that different from the US in most cultural areas, but the absense of a strong sense of national identity is by default our identity.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
You sick bastards who are stuck in the old loop, who try to define Canada by what is NOT america. Man, it's terribly pitiful. I advise you to travel more.

Canadian culture is just as distinct and unique and beautiful as every other culture that showed up at sunrise. It's really terrible that all of you are capable of waking up, going to work, and not properly explaining to a curious mind what your culture is. Where is your heritage? Our heritage? A Canadian 'our' is the most inclusive variety of that genitive article.

Don't you realize how admired we are worldwide? Or why?

Un Canadien Errant
Farewell to Nova Scotia
V'la le bon Vent
Log Driver's Waltz
Author
Land of the silver birch
Background

-jM
A&D