• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

canadian grammy winners?

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
I've checked on the internet but couldn't find one. Maybe one of you can dredge up a list of Canadians that have won grammy awards or been nominated?

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
found one!

York ethnomusicologist wins Grammy Award
ROB BOWMAN A PIONEER OF POPULAR MUSIC STUDIES.

Music professor Rob Bowman displays the CD box set that won him a Grammy.

York University ethnomusicologist Rob Bowman hit a high note in his career on Feb. 28 by winning one of the music industry's most coveted prizes: a Grammy Award.

Bowman won the Best Album Notes prize for his 47,000 monograph accompanying the 10-CD boxed set of The Complete Stax/Volt Soul Singles, Vol. 3: 1972-1975.

Bowman co-produced and wrote the liner notes for all three volumes in the Stax Singles reissue series. Comprising a total of 28 CDs, the set contains the releases of the famed Memphis-based recording label which launched artists such as Otis Redding, Isaac Hayes and Booker T and the MGs. "Stax Records represents a milestone in the history of American music," Bowman says. "It defined what we now know as Southern Soul music."

The first volume, the Complete Stax Singles 1959-1968, brought Bowman a Grammy nomination for Best Album Notes in 1992. His other previous nomination, in 1988, was in the Best Historical Reissue category for The Otis Redding Story.

Rob Bowman pioneered popular music studies at York University. He has taught in York's Music Department since 1987, joining the full-time professoriate in 1993. He is an alumnus of York's music program, recognized as a leading centre for the study of contemporary and popular music, and the musics of many different cultures and traditions.

Bowman has written liner notes for dozens of recordings, and has lectured and published extensively in many areas of popular music, from country and R & B to reggae, rap and funk. His broadcasts include a five-part series on the history of Canadian popular music and a program on Christmas music in a multicultural setting for the CBC.

Parallel to his career as a teacher, writer and broadcaster, Bowman continues to perform professionally. His instruments - voice, euphonium, viola da gamba - reflect his eclectic interests as a musician: he is equally at home playing rock, jazz, or baroque music.

Rob Bowman is currently working on a book about Stax Records. Also in the works is a book on King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band.

source: York Gazette VOLUME 26, NUMBER 25 WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13, 1996 ISSN 1199-5246 http://www.yorku.ca/ycom/gazette/past/archive/031396.htm

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
From ETalk Daily site re: this past Grammy Awards:

"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was produced by Daniel Lanois, the only Canadian to receive a nod at the ceremony. Crooner Michael Buble, polka king Walter Ostanek, rock legend Neil Young and indie-rock darlings Arcade Fire all left empty-handed. Songstress Sarah McLachlan, rapper Fresh I.E. and comedian Rick Moranis also failed to beat the competition in their respective categories."

more here: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...ammy_awards_060208/20060209?hub=Entertainment

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
mitsuko souma said:
how the f*#k was rick moranis nominated for a Grammy?! this is the 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids' guy, right?

yeah, i read an article about him recently. his wife died and he stopped doing movies and such to take care of his kids, though he has done some voice over work over the past number of years.

anyway, i guess he's a bit of a folkie and decided to do a comedy album / folk album ... he recorded it and released it and people liked it and it was up for a grammy.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Shania also a winner: When her younger siblings grew up and went their own ways a few years later Shania started her try for the big time. She created a demo of all original songs, and luckily got it to the head of the Mercury Nashville label.

Since that lucky break she has released three albums, and received many awards including American Music Awards, Canadian Country Music Awards, a couple of Junos and a Grammy.

http://www.canadiancelebs.com/music.html

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
mitsuko souma said:
thats hilarious. well, i guess if they'll let william hung cut an album, anybody can.
ps. thank god HE'S not canadian.
it's an album full of humourous songs...he even performed one on conan...why the hate on Moranis?:)

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Joni Mitchell has won a number of grammy awards, and her Blue (1971) has been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

ok i'm sure there are more but i'm done now. gotsta go home for dinner. ciao.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
terrawrist III said:
it's an album full of humourous songs...he even performed one on conan...why the hate on Moranis?:)
seriously. and from what i read about it (now i haven't heard it so i can't confirm) ... his voice ain't half bad.

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
terrawrist III said:
I'm not hating. I'm just surprised. i mean , there a re SO MANY talented canadian MUSICAL artists out there, and they're doling out Grammys to comedians.
but if he managed to win one, good on him.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
mitsuko souma said:
I'm not hating. I'm just surprised. i mean , there a re SO MANY talented canadian MUSICAL artists out there, and they're doling out Grammys to comedians.
but if he managed to win one, good on him.
it's a different catagory:p
he's not going up against coldplay

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
i think he was up for a grammy called somethign like comedy album of the year or something, so it's not like he's competing with ...oh ... terrawrist already has this covered.

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
I NEVER said that Coldplay were Grammy-worthy. ech.
Besides, have any of you guys (ie. sunshyne jones, terrarist) even HEARD moranis' album?
Yeah, thats what I thought.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
i said i hadn't heard it but only read about it. but i read that it was good, does that count??? :p

and terrawrist, they already gave out the awards and rick moranis did not win.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
mitsuko souma said:
I NEVER said that Coldplay were Grammy-worthy. ech.
Besides, have any of you guys (ie. sunshyne jones, terrarist) even HEARD moranis' album?
Yeah, thats what I thought.
no...but like I said i can totally get the idea just hearing his song on conan...was about a relationship issue or something...it's like a comedy album for the middle aged set

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders