1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Canada's paper money to become plastic

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by The Truth, Mar 5, 2010.

1. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

OTTAWA, March 5 (UPI) -- Canada's paper and cotton $10 and $20 bills will be replaced late next year with longer-lasting plasticized versions, the government announced in Ottawa.

As part of the federal budget released by Finance Minister Jim Flaherty in parliament Thursday, the move to more durable currency was revealed as a means to extend the life of bills by as much as three times, the Globe and Mail reported Friday.

Australia was the first country to go the plastic money route, and Bank of Canada spokeswoman Julie Girard said there are several factors that make it a good investment.

Apart from lasting longer, the synthetic polymer bills will be more difficult to counterfeit, she said. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police reported there were more than 141,000 counterfeit bills detected worth more than $3.3 million in 2007, the Globe said.

Hygiene and epidemiology also played a role in the decision, the report said. The money's plastic surface doesn't absorb oil and sweat from human hands. In 2007, Swiss researchers said they discovered flu viruses could survive in traditional paper bills for as long as 17 days, the newspaper said.

Canadian paper money to become plastic - UPI.com

2. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

nice Austrailia has some cool cash and they don't rip under normal use

3. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

^ except the first batch they printed, the ink wore off...if you had happened to put the bills through the wash, they came out blank. Followed by a whole counterfeiting scandal about how the $10 bills were washed and reprinted to be 100s

I applaud the move though, it's about time we stopped scotch taping our bills together

4. Re: Shoe

Re: Shoe TRIBE Member

Only the $10 and $20 bills? I suppose this means that a $5 coin will be on its way soon.

5. BAd Luck

BAd Luck TRIBE Member

Will they still roll up into proper nose straws?

6. Liability

Liability TRIBE Member

Yes, they are just more durable and it will be easier to scrape of any remanants.

In all seriousness, this has been around in Australia forever. It is very cool and the bills are virtually indestructable.

7. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

could you imagine if we had to carry actual pieces of plastic money (which is what I thought this thread meant). how annoying would that be. you'd need a big wallet cause they wouldnt fold or anything.

8. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

another way to keep the oil fields relevant i guess. this is one method to keep their petrolum byproduct useful.

9. JCrack

JCrack TRIBE Member

A girl I met while down there was drunk and trying to explain this to me and she grabbed the twenty out of my hands to prove it and promptly tore it right in half and gave it back to me. Thanks...thanks a lot

10. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

since they're so tightly knit anyway...seems befitting

11. Liability

Liability TRIBE Member

It is an interesting debate concerning which is more wasteful. Paper money is recycled frequently while the plastic money is more durable and lasts longer.

12. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Makes sense.

13. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

I have done quite a bit of travelling and a lot of countries already use plastic money. I've wondered for years why Canada doesn't use this style of bill. You can put it in your pocket, go surfing/swimming etc and the bills are still totally fine.

14. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

15. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

Will it be safe to stand near a fire or will your money melt?

16. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

You can do that with regular paper money too.

17. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

From the Globe:

"Mr. Flaherty also announced yesterday in the budget that Ottawa will proceed to make cheaper Canadian coins, replacing the predominately nickel-based $2 and $1 coins with steel."

NooooOOooooOOOoooOOooooOOOooooOOOo!!!!!.

18. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

Ok you are right but the point I am trying to get across is that the plastic money stands up to abuse better than paper money. It is also more enjoyable for people to receive as payment after a surf/swim session than paper money as it doesn't become as soggy.

19. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

I had an Aussie friend of mine come and visit me and she told me that if you accidentally leave the stuff in your pocket and put it in the dryer, it shrinks.