• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Canada's largest grow operation busted

funkywanderer

TRIBE Promoter
Did anybody else see this? I searched for related threads and came up empty...

I wish that I had thought of this first...

Full article here

CANADA'S LARGEST GROW OPERATION, BY THE NUMBERS

Estimated number of plants

$30 million
Estimated street value of the plants found

$100 million
Estimated worth of the annual crop, based on four crops a year

Number of growing lamps

Number of beer vats converted to incubation chambers for the seedlings

Size of the growing facility, in square metres, about half of the entire building

Number of people who could be housed in the on-site dormitory

Number of people arrested in the raid

The "big box" marijuana growing operation found in the former Molson brewery in Barrie, Ont., was the largest and most sophisticated in Canadian history, police said.

The "factory" was certainly not typical of the estimated 15,000 marijuana operations in Ontario, most of which are in a rural setting, said CBC Radio contributing editor Rosie Rowbotham on Here and Now, the afternoon program on CBC Radio in Toronto.

In many ways, the former brewery was an ideal environment for growing pot, said Rowbotham. Some of the beer vats were converted into incubators for the seedlings, where the temperature and humidity could be control with great precision. The facility had excellent drainage and its tile floors and walls wouldn't be affected by all the water the operation needed.

As well, the facility's ventilation system sucked up the air from the operation and filtered out the telltale smell of the plants and the chemicals used in their cultivation. There were also reports that another company in the building complex would continually roast coffee beans to mask the odour. Police said some businesses that were renting space in the complex were not involved.

Given that Molson only sold the property late in 2001, Rowbotham said the operation had probably been running for less than a year. Although only nine people were arrested in the raid on the Barrie operation, Rowbotham said it was clear that more people were needed to run it. He said an acquaintance of his who has an exemption to grow medical marijuana for personal use has about 60 plants and he is busy tending to the plants all day.

Although B.C.'s marijuana industry is often touted as the province's largest cash crop, Ontario's market is much bigger, estimated at $1 billion a year.

And although police often blame organized crime for running drug production, Rowbotham said only 10 per cent of marijuana growers are affiliated with gangs. He said the Barrie operation was not run by bikers or Vietnamese gangsters.

The stereotypical marijuana grow op is in the basement of a suburban bungalow, where the operation can be contained, away from the prying eyes (and noses) of children, neighbours and mail carriers. But the heat generated in such an operation does lead to one distinguishing characteristic of a cultivator's house: no snow on the roof.

That's why, Rowbotham said, many growers are moving to the country, not to grow their pot outside, but to be less conspicuous to police and to live "off the grid," generating electricity for their operations with gas-powered generators.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Why doesn't the government just take over the facility and use it for it's Medical Use Cron?

Seems like these guys were pretty cutting edge.

Probably makes enough weed to despense to the whole country of sick people in need.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
While this has been posted before the number data was not and that is pretty interesting. Beer vats turned to seed incubators?

Dude!

"My pot is like WOAH!"

JMan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
Why doesn't the government just take over the facility and use it for it's Medical Use Cron?

Seems like these guys were pretty cutting edge.

Probably makes enough weed to despense to the whole country of sick people in need.

Because that makes sense.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by funkywanderer
Although B.C.'s marijuana industry is often touted as the province's largest cash crop, Ontario's market is much bigger, estimated at $1 billion a year.

And although police often blame organized crime for running drug production, Rowbotham said only 10 per cent of marijuana growers are affiliated with gangs.[/B]

Those are some surprising statements. If it's secret from cops I'd guess it's also a well kept secret from canada's weed 'underworld' but how do you keep awareness of that kind of supply hidden from growers/dealers here?

Rob

funkywanderer

TRIBE Promoter
apologies...didn't realize that there was another thread about this. i used the search functionality, but it turned up nothing. sorry astroboy.

shouts from the south,

james e

funkywanderer

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Dirty Girl
^^ trade ya some weed for some coke!!!

what do you mean? is it hard to get coke in the great white north? i've never had any problems. weed down here, on the other hand, is another story completely. i sometimes have to wait 4-6 weeks from the time i put an order in until i get it....and that's when it actually shows up. if you want coke, or crack on the other hand, that can be found in about five minutes. what a fuckin joke eh?

shouts from the south,

james e

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JMan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by funkywanderer
what do you mean? is it hard to get coke in the great white north? i've never had any problems. weed down here, on the other hand, is another story completely. i sometimes have to wait 4-6 weeks from the time i put an order in until i get it....and that's when it actually shows up. if you want coke, or crack on the other hand, that can be found in about five minutes. what a fuckin joke eh?

shouts from the south,

james e

Wow that sucks... unless you like snortin' lines every day I guess, hehe.

Here, it's usually a quick phone call with same-hour home delivery service... and it's good and sometimes cheap.

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
How are they gonna get rid of all that weed? Burn it? lol

Hey everyone! Let's go visit Barrie for some fresh air.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Chiclet
How are they gonna get rid of all that weed? Burn it? lol

Hey everyone! Let's go visit Barrie for some fresh air.

that is what I said... someone should go steal the left overs they don't burn....

ha ha

pun intended.