• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Canada's Great Red Firewall: Bill C11 and the end of Canada's open Internet

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you have heard me railing against the Canadian government's new Internet laws for the last year on twitter and facebook.

I've tried my hardest to bring attention to these authoritarian laws which the Trudeau government is ramming through into law, in spite of loud complaints by Canada's tech and Internet communities, artists and content creators. As one of Canada's Internet pioneers I am troubled and dismayed by the direction this is going.

The government says that these laws will make Canada a better place, but in reality they have designed these laws to seize full political control of Canada's Internet. The goal, I believe, is snuffing out social movements before they grow big enough to challenge the Liberal government or its policies. That's what these laws are really about.

Bill C11 is now about to clear the Senate to become law, any opposition and needed amendments have been shut down by Liberal appointed Senators.
Bill C11 in particular is problematic because it gives total control of what Canadians can post or discover online to the head of the CRTC, Liberal political appointee, Ian Scott.

It is a scary amount of power and even Google has now started running its own anti Bill C11 across the YouTube platform, although they may already be too late:

“In its current form, Bill C-11 would require YouTube to manipulate these systems, and surface content according to the CRTC’s priorities, rather than the interests of Canadian users,” wrote Google.
“Put into practice, this means that when viewers come to the YouTube homepage, they’re served content that a Canadian Government regulator has prioritized, rather than content they are interested in.”

This pretty much sums up how Canada's new Internet will be across other platforms as well and the Internet itself.. Granted, some Canadians will use VPNs to try and circumvent it or punch through but most won't bother, because it is an additional expense and Canadians already pay 2X to 3X the connectivity costs compared to other countries. Platforms and telecom companies having to shape all this data to satisfy government control requests will result in more expense for Canadians and Canadian businesses. The fact is, Canadians already pay the highest connectivity rates on the planet.

Once C11 becomes law (it's nearly there), the government will have full control of what Canadians see online. It will completely change what Canadians see online.

Call or email your MP about this and tell them you don't want C11 passed because it is bad for Canada. Please.

Thank you,

alexd
Publisher
TRIBE

Last edited:
Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room