• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Canada Post to stop home mail delivery

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Canada Post to stop urban home mail delivery
Cost of stamps 'substantially' rising, new business plan coming
CBC News

Canada Post is changing the way it delivers mail in Canada's cities, stopping door-to-door delivery to urban residents.

The Crown corporation announced Wednesday residential delivery will be phased out, with no timeline immediately available.

The cost of a stamp will also increase, with no specific details available either.

Canada Post is expected to announce a new business plan at 10 a.m. ET.

Transport Minister Lisa Raitt said in September the idea of cutting door-to-door delivery in urban areas was worth considering in the face of $104 million in losses in the second quarter.

"That's a huge cost savings and it's those kinds of things that we want to see come to fruition," she told CBC News.

The latest Canada Post financial data show it lost $73 million in this fiscal year's third quarter compared to the same quarter in 2012.

Revenue dropped $20 million in the first three quarters of 2013 compared to the same timeframe last year.

Friday's announcement was made two weeks before Christmas, during one of the busiest delivery periods of the year.

Canada Post to phase out urban home mail delivery - Ottawa - CBC News

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I will miss mail delivery, even though I didn't get much except bills and the occasional post card. I understand why it is being eliminated, but I am still kind of sad about it. Progress I guess.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
Canada Post better step up its game at the post office now that people are going to have to go there to retrieve anything larger than a birthday card.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Less vehicles on the road = fine by me! Our post office is on the subway line and less than a 10 minute ride from home, so I think we'll survive. This could be a pain for the elderly and disabled, though.

I'm sure companies like Amazon are more than happy to be stepping in to fill the void left by postal increases/service reductions.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
@MrButterChicken In Toronto, Canada Post will be sub-contracting to Sandro Lisi, who will drop packages in everyone's cars.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Parcel service will likely continue to your door. It is accomplished by different distribution methods than the mail carrier who walks the usual beat. Secondly, you likely won't have to go to your nearest postal outlet to get your mail, community boxes such as those that are common in newer developments located every block or so, will likely be implemented.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
Parcel service will likely continue to your door. It is accomplished by different distribution methods than the mail carrier who walks the usual beat. Secondly, you likely won't have to go to your nearest postal outlet to get your mail, community boxes such as those that are common in newer developments located every block or so, will likely be implemented.
I didn't know that parcel deliveries were on a different delivery system than bundled mail. Makes perfect sense, though.

For the time being I live in an apartment, so there likely won't be any change for me. As for community mail boxes, I got no beef, either. I just hope that there are recycling bins installed with the mailbox for all of the junk mail.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
update from CBC

Canada Post is phasing out door-to-door delivery of regular mail to urban residents and increasing the cost of stamps in a major move to try to reduce significant, regular losses.

The Crown corporation announced its plans in a news release Wednesday, saying urban home delivery will be phased out over the next five years.

Starting March 31, the cost of a stamp will increase to 85 cents each if bought in a pack, up from 63 cents. Individual stamps will cost a dollar.

Canada Post said that over the next five years, it will eliminate 6,000 to 8,000 positions, but it expects 15,000 workers will leave the company or retire within that period.

"With the increasing use of digital communication and the historic decline of letter mail volumes, Canada Post has begun to post significant financial losses," the corporation said in the release.

"If left unchecked, continued losses would soon jeopardize its financial self-sufficiency and become a significant burden on taxpayers and customers."

The first communities that will switch to community mailboxes (CMBs) will be announced in the second half of 2014, according to the release.

Gov't said urban mail changes were possible in September

Transport Minister Lisa Raitt said in September the idea of cutting door-to-door delivery in urban areas was worth considering in the face of $104 million in losses in the second quarter.

The latest Canada Post financial data show it lost $73 million in this fiscal year's third quarter compared to the same quarter in 2012.

Revenue dropped $20 million in the first three quarters of 2013 compared to the same timeframe last year.

Here are some other numbers, from Canada Post:

• 5,094,694 people get door-to-door delivery in Canada.
  • Average cost per address is $269.
  • 3,804,574 get mail through group mail boxes.
  • Average cost per box is $117.
  • Corporation was facing billion-dollar deficit by 2020

A Conference Board of Canada report released in April said two-thirds of Canadians already do without door-to-door regular mail service, whether through rural mailboxes, group mailboxes, delivery facilities or "centralized mail points."

It said stopping door-to-door delivery of mail to urban Canadians and replacing it with CMBs would have the largest financial impact on a projected $1-billion Canada Post deficit by 2020.

Canada Post said this plan will help return it to "financial stability" by 2019.

It said the numbers do not include savings through pension changes or labour costs, since those two aspects will be worked out through collective bargaining.

CMBs have been around since the 1980s, with the rise of new home developments, where they are now standard.

Wednesday's announcement was made two weeks before Christmas, during one of the busiest delivery periods of the year.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) has scheduled a news conference for 1 p.m. ET Wednesday.

Canada Post to phase out urban home mail delivery - Ottawa - CBC News

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
do away with it, the only shit i get is still paper bills from like 2-3 things, and even thats only as there is NO OTHER OPTION

-_-

diablo

TRIBE Member
Yeah, probably inevitable, but still kind of shitty.

Apart from the good jobs lost, I feel like it'll eventually lead to incremental back-door privatization. Harper's Magazine had an article about the USPS a while back, and they still manage to turn a profit, despite having a higher percentage of rural residents than Canada. I feel like at some level of the organization, there's someone who just can't be bothered looking beyond the obvious stop-gap solutions.

The Canada Post union recommended that Canada Post get into banking (which has been done in many European countries and New Zealand, with great success and profit), but CP rejected it outright, for some reason. Better to just double the prices and eliminate their most popular and iconic service, then!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

erika

TRIBE Member
Agree with Diablo.

I don't think it's inevitable, but I do think it's shitty. I like getting my real postcards in the mail!!

As someone put it, they are doubling the cost of the mail but only delivering it half as far...

Other countries manage to have thriving postal services; why not here? That's the question I would like to see answered!

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
The Canada Post union recommended that Canada Post get into banking (which has been done in many European countries and New Zealand, with great success and profit), but CP rejected it outright, for some reason. Better to just double the prices and eliminate their most popular and iconic service, then!
so convenient too. In Italy or France, i was able to mail out a bunch of stuff i bought and withdrawl some more money in one shot. loved it

derek

TRIBE Member
very few countries have 'thriving' postal services (CPC was for 16 years until 2012). the only ones i can think of are the netherlands, the royal mail (and only recently, guess who their CEO is)). the USPS is also slated to lose $14 billion a year, the profit is forecasted only if they can make some change which require congressional approval (5 day delivery plan).

la poste is one of the most lethargic of them all.

also, CPC delivers decreasingly less mail to increasingly more points.

it is inevitable.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
do away with it, the only shit i get is still paper bills from like 2-3 things, and even thats only as there is NO OTHER OPTION

-_-
You should probably consider those who require more accessible services than yourself before making such blanket statements.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i didnt realize i was the policy maker at Canada Post?

Do i get a raise?

i have been part of different discussions all morning and early afternoon concerning this.

Yes some elderly and disabled need to be taken into consideration and i would assume there would be separate infrastructure to solve this, but it would still be cheaper to have specific Canada Post employees that would hand deliver mail to only those that can PROVE they need it VS the lazy fucks that exist in our world today.

much of this will also be solved by Condo buildings etc. that the elderly/disabled live in, or whatever dwelling that they live in thats not a ' house '.

but the disparate cost per home delivery vs the communal box and MANY less employees walking routes will hopefully allow it to implement a business model that is feasible and still accounts for everyone.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders