• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

canada in violation of international drug-control treaties

Jazz

TRIBE Member
B.C. safe-injection site worries UN
Canadian Press

A UN organization has expressed concerns to Canada over Vancouver's safe injection site for addicts, saying the approach violates international agreements on ways to control drug abuse.

In a report released Wednesday, the International Narcotics Control Board says the establishment of the drug-injection site in Vancouver last year — the first in North America — “is not in line with the international drug-control treaties to which Canada is a party.”

The board is part of the UN International Drug Control Program based in Vienna. It notes that governments have agreed to use prevention and treatment to deal with drug abuse.

The report says the board has on numerous occasions spoken out against the operation of drug injection rooms “where persons can inject drugs acquired with impunity on the illicit market.”

Herbert Schaepe, secretary of the board, says board members have expressed concerns to the Canadian government, as well as several European governments that have approved drug injection sites or are thinking of establishing them.

“When drug abusers can acquire illicit drugs and can take these illicit drugs into premises which are managed by the state or the town, then there is definitely complicity and we cannot accept that under the international drug control convention,” he says.

Health Canada announced last June it would provide $1.5-million over four years for the pilot project in Vancouver to determine whether a supervised injection site can reduce harm to addicts and improve their health prospects.

Mr. Schaepe dismisses arguments put forth by government authorities, notably Switzerland, that rooms where heroin addicts can safely inject themselves under medical supervision have reduced crime, improved the lives of addicts and persuaded many to check into rehabilitation centres.

“We can achieve exactly the same through other methods,” Mr. Schaepe says. “We think that we should stick to the international conventions which call for prevention and for treatment.”

The report also calls cannabis “the most abused drug in North America” and says it continues to be produced in large quantities in Canada, the United States and Mexico.

The board says it is troubling that more lenient legislation on marijuana is being considered, saying it is “concerned that the revisions could contribute to the mistaken perception that cannabis is a harmless substance.”

Mr. Schaepe says cannabis is involved in 25 per cent of all drug addicts who ask for treatment in the European Union. “So, cannabis is not so inoffensive as it often is claimed to be in many of the articles you can find in the worldwide media.”

In other areas, the board says Canada has made welcome improvements.

It approves of the new regulations Canada has implemented for internationally controlled psychotropic substances and the introduction of better control over precursor chemicals used in the manufacture of cocaine, heroin and synthetic drugs such as methamphetamines.

Mr. Schaepe says the introduction of a law to control the movement of these chemicals has improved co-operation between United States and Canada in preventing such transactions.

“On the Canadian side that was not possible before the law came into force,” Mr. Schaepe says. “Now that the people can be put to the court, that has improved very much this last year.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040303.wnarcotics0303_/BNStory/National/

when will the stupidity end... please don't answer that, i already know the answer...

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

derek

TRIBE Member
so the us can invade countries at will, unilaterally, and with little pretext. the can veto motions condeming actions commited against palestinians by israel. but canad shouldn't let heroine addicts shoot up in safe, controlled environment? it's a damn shame canada doesn't have veto power (or is even on the security council for that manner).

i wonder if th us is behind this sudden pressure from a un organization?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Again this is why I believe that at times you can simply ignore the UN. Yes you nod your head and tell them they are all great, but ignore them in the same breath and do what is right for your country.

We've pissed off the UN many times in past. We will piss them off again in the future. Nature of the beast.

Aeryanna

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jazz
The board is part of the UN International Drug Control Program based in Vienna. It notes that governments have agreed to use prevention and treatment to deal with drug abuse.

Safe injection sites are a method of long term treatment. It should make sense to the UN Narcotics control board that if the old ways aren't working, its time to try something new. In either case, the injection sites are on a one year trial-basis. If they prove to be inefficient and ineffectual then we'll stop them but until then if the board can't offer any viable alternatives to solve the narcotics problem, then other countries will be forced to come up with their own. (If the board can't offer any solutions, they most certainly shouldn't run around trying to create problems for those that are trying to find some).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: canada in violation of international drug-control treaties

Originally posted by Aeryanna
Safe injection sites are a method of long term treatment.

While I fully support safe injection sites, I wouldn't call it a method of addiction treatment. Although the sites have information on where to get treatment, they're not focussed on getting people sober, which is what the UN means by 'treatment'.

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: canada in violation of international drug-control treaties

Originally posted by janiecakes
While I fully support safe injection sites, I wouldn't call it a method of addiction treatment.

Why don't you explain to me how you get a person sober who just died of aids from a dirty needle?

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
safe injection sites seem like a great idea.

1. you remove the first and worst elemet of injectied drug hazards and thats unsanitary conditions.

2 you better isolate the problem by having safe injection sites. its easier to keep an eye on things and get a sense of the enormity of the problem.

3. you bring back some dignity to the people who are hopeless and addicted.
you show them society is willing to try and treat them instead of just arresting them.

you give them a safe place to do their thing, and hopefully eventually you removemuch of the stigma associated with heroin abuse, the people go in to inject themselves and have greater access to cousilers/addiction treatment.

its a great idea,
fuck what the UN says on this. prevention is a catchphrase used by bodies that have not actually done anything proven and effective to curb the use of injected drugs.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: canada in violation of international drug-control treaties

Originally posted by 416
Why don't you explain to me how you get a person sober who just died of aids from a dirty needle?

What the crap are you talking about?

I think safe injection sites are awesome and totally necessary, I was just pointing out that they're not considered 'treatment'.

Why don't you go inject some nicotine with a dirty needle, maybe you'll behave in a more pleasant manner.

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: canada in violation of international drug-control treaties

Originally posted by janiecakes
What the crap are you talking about?

I think safe injection sites are awesome and totally necessary, I was just pointing out that they're not considered 'treatment'.

Why don't you go inject some nicotine with a dirty needle, maybe you'll behave in a more pleasant manner.

Maybe you should shut your stupid fucking face you dirty tramp?

Safe injection sites aim to facilitate treatment, thus are a part of treatment. If you can't see that, you're probably an American.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Dude, shut the fuck up. I'm not arguing over semantics with you just because you feel like behaving like a prick.

TRIBE Member
While I fully support safe injection sites, I wouldn't call it a method of addiction treatment. Although the sites have information on where to get treatment, they're not focussed on getting people sober, which is what the UN means by 'treatment'.

You're the one who started getting pedantic (just like the UN) you silly twat.

So in the future, if you don't feel like getting into a semantic argument, then just shut your pie hole, because that's all you seem to be capable of doing.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
http://www.drugpolicy.org/docUploads/SIFProposal.pdf

^^ the Harm Reduction Association's proposal for those safe injection sites in Vancouver. Very interesting read if you've got some time (it's long).

I was just trying to find the WHO's position on the sites and they don't say anything about them in their stuff about harm reduction and injection drug users. So odd.