• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Canada Goose / Douche now American Goose / Douche

romstah

TRIBE Member
http://canadadouche.tumblr.com/
10 SIGNS YOU'RE A CANADA DOUCHE
There is one thing that needs clarifying - not every person that owns a Canada Goose jacket is automatically a Canada douche. There are certain actions and signs that equal douchery. Below is a list of things that make you a Canada douche.

1) You get the bright coloured ones. Ask yourself this, would you ever buy anything else as bright as the jacket or are you getting those colours to “try and stick out?” “Could I pick someone up wearing this colour?”

2) You and your boyfriend/girlfriend have the same one. It may be cute to you but to others it’s kind of sickening.

3) You pose in front of your webcam, bathroom mirror, any mirror, and take pictures with your jacket. It’s even worse if you’re in your pyjamas. And deep down inside you’re taking the pictures to flaunt your new $600 jacket for the world to see. If it’s douche to do it with your new bag, watch or cellphone, it certainly is douche to do it with a jacket. Who fucking cares if you bought the jacket? Will your life improve if people know you have one?

4) You wear sunglasses with your Canada Goose. If it’s so damn bright, put on your hood. You’ll get enough shade under the hood.

5) You pair your jacket with any of the following, previously thought to be douche, articles: True Religion jeans, Affliction shirts, UGGs, pouches. It’s especially douchey if you wear the pouch over the jacket… are you wearing the pouch for function or to show everyone that you bought a $400 pouch instead of a $1000 regular sized bag?

6) You bought it because everybody else has it. You’re the kind of person to fall victim to your environment. If you look around you and think the jacket is cool because everyone else has it and that is a definitive reason for you buying one then that’s pretty douche.

7) You’re spoiled and rich and you didn’t spend a dime, or lift a finger, to buy the jacket. It was handed to you on a silver platter. And you have more than one colour depending on your mood that day.

8) Your bank account is hurting after buying one. If you simply can’t afford the jacket, then don’t fucking buy it. Are insufficient funds really worth looking like everyone else?

9) You want to be noticed and feel like you belong. Since a whole lot of people have one the probability of striking a conversation with another Canada Goose jacket owner about Canada Goose is high and you’re a flaming conversationalist.

10) You think it’s stylish. Canada Goose is right in the same category as North Face and Columbia. How many of you considered buying those instead?
LOL

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I bought one in 2008. No clue it was going to be a douche badge. I even bought my girlfriend one, but they don't match. Her's is black and I have a nylon blue one.

And I get 50% off at Holt ;)

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I fucking hate when people catch on to a product that is well made, good quality, and made in Canada. Fucking lame.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Yeah exactly. Unlike Von Dutch trucker hats, Ed Hardy shirts and arguably Uggs bacteria trappers, Canada Goose is of the highest quality construction and not only serves a real purpose but actually does it better than any other jacket.

It's sad that they've become a douche costume. Drake doing a $5000 version with a gold zipper doesn't help either:

coleridge

TRIBE Member
^ You forgot over priced.
I honestly don't think they are over priced at $600. You're getting highest quality fabric material, sustainability sourced goose feathers and coyote fur, and outstanding construction quality. All made in Canada by people earning a good wage.

These jackets have a long track record of being the the number 1 option for extreme cold climates. They didn't just spring up as a cheaply made fashion phenomenon.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Exactly. Totally not overpriced. They are more expensive than other jackets but also better than most other jackets. And you can sure as hell find more expensive jackets that are shitty made but come with a designer logo on them.

Seriously such a stupid thing to hate on. Would you rather it was a coat made in China everyone was wearing?

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
After a year of looking for a Canadian made down filled parka I got this CMFR as I was not ready to join the flock of CG parkas... This coat was warm yesterday and has a very non descript logo... Only fault is that it has no double zipper ...

coleridge

TRIBE Member
The market is getting flooded with counterfeit Canada Goose Parkas. I read an interview somewhere with the Canada Goose guys saying that they now have to protect their logo patches like they are gold after boxes of them were going missing.

Some of the counterfeit parkas are so poorly made that when you open them up the stuffing is old Chinese newspapers lol

TRO

TRIBE Member
I have a roots parka thats tres warm faux fur and cost me like 120 bucks...

it has black and has a roots logo on the side arm (that is also black) and well...I like it.

It's also the only Roots product I have ever bought-en
Canada Goose can Canada blow me

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
$700 would get you a nice piece of audio gear instead ;)
Or a metal detector that will pay for itself in 90 days. Or a really good bicycle, or 46 Golden Chicken Curries at Salad King, or a return flight to Europe, or...

kuba

TRIBE Member
I don't own one, but I would because I am outside very often with my dog, and it would serve its purpose. Thing is, I love the cold, and so I'd like to be warm when outside.

This thing about it being "worth" $600 is a hard pill to swallow, because I wonder what "high quality fabrics" really cost (i.e. what is their margin? what does it cost to make this jacket?) - questions which I don't have the answers to.

MEC makes very very warm winter jackets but their shit isn't stylish enough, or ugly enough in this case, to catch on (and it's far cheaper than $600). Example http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/InsulatedOuterwear/PRD~5017-628/mec-frontenac-parka-mens.jsp is their most expensive parka at $270 and it's probably as warm as the CG.

MEC Frontenac Parka (Men's)
Weight: 1.809kg (Large)
A block heater for your body, this very warm and rugged down parka is cut with enough room to wear over a light sweater or mid-weight fleece. The outer shell is tough, water-resistant, and great for dry, cold, squeaky snow conditions.

• Shell fabric is abrasion-resistant 100-denier polyester with an excellent DWR treatment to provide water-resistance in all but the wettest settings.
  • Lining fabric is 30-denier nylon with a DWR treatment.
  • Insulated with 550 fill-power goose down. Two layers of sewn-through insulation in the front, one in the back.
  • Integrated hood with shockcord closure and removable 100% polyester faux-fur trim. The furriness is soft against your neck when the hood is down, and blocks out blustery conditions and spindrift when worn up.
  • Fleece-lined collar.
  • Insulated zipper flap with snap closures.
  • Two external cargo pockets have flaps and snap closures. Two internal cargo pockets have huge capacity.
  • Two fleece lined handwarmer pockets are high on the chest.
  • Internal chest pocket with electronics cord portal.
  • One upper arm pocket with a zip, one more that closes with a snap.
  • Waist drawcord with a snap closure powder skirt.
  • Knit cuffs on sleeves seal out the cold.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
When you raise your Canada Goose hoods snugly about your faces, just think of this:

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I don't think it makes sense for people to buy Canada Goose parkas unless they work outside in the extreme cold. In Toronto I'd say they are invaluable to bouncers and that's about it. Anybody else, they're overkill. Like buying a Range Rover to drive on city streets.

A good black Canada Goose parka will keep a bouncer warm no matter how cold the night is. And will last them 10+ years no matter how many heads they have to bash in along the way.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Ever try to sit on the TTC wearing a down jacket. Its not easy.

Lots of room once all the air escapes!