1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Canada Goose / Douche now American Goose / Douche

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by romstah, Jan 4, 2012.

1. romstah

romstah TRIBE Member

http://canadadouche.tumblr.com/
    LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

11) Gotta be asian

3. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

I bought one in 2008. No clue it was going to be a douche badge. I even bought my girlfriend one, but they don't match. Her's is black and I have a nylon blue one.

And I get 50% off at Holt ;)

4. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I fucking hate when people catch on to a product that is well made, good quality, and made in Canada. Fucking lame.

5. deveator

deveator TRIBE Member

^ You forgot over priced.

6. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

:D yes!

7. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

How much do one of those things cost anyways?

8. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Yeah exactly. Unlike Von Dutch trucker hats, Ed Hardy shirts and arguably Uggs bacteria trappers, Canada Goose is of the highest quality construction and not only serves a real purpose but actually does it better than any other jacket.

It's sad that they've become a douche costume. Drake doing a $5000 version with a gold zipper doesn't help either:

[​IMG]

9. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I honestly don't think they are over priced at $600. You're getting highest quality fabric material, sustainability sourced goose feathers and coyote fur, and outstanding construction quality. All made in Canada by people earning a good wage.

These jackets have a long track record of being the the number 1 option for extreme cold climates. They didn't just spring up as a cheaply made fashion phenomenon.

10. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Exactly. Totally not overpriced. They are more expensive than other jackets but also better than most other jackets. And you can sure as hell find more expensive jackets that are shitty made but come with a designer logo on them.

Seriously such a stupid thing to hate on. Would you rather it was a coat made in China everyone was wearing?

11. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

$700 just to look like everyone else and wear murdered coyote on my head? No thanks.

12. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

After a year of looking for a Canadian made down filled parka I got this CMFR as I was not ready to join the flock of CG parkas... This coat was warm yesterday and has a very non descript logo... Only fault is that it has no double zipper ...

[​IMG]

13. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

The market is getting flooded with counterfeit Canada Goose Parkas. I read an interview somewhere with the Canada Goose guys saying that they now have to protect their logo patches like they are gold after boxes of them were going missing.

Some of the counterfeit parkas are so poorly made that when you open them up the stuffing is old Chinese newspapers lol

14. TRO

TRO TRIBE Member

I have a roots parka thats tres warm faux fur and cost me like 120 bucks...

it has black and has a roots logo on the side arm (that is also black) and well...I like it.

It's also the only Roots product I have ever bought-en
    Canada Goose can Canada blow me

15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

$700 would get you a nice piece of audio gear instead ;)

16. alexd

Or a metal detector that will pay for itself in 90 days. Or a really good bicycle, or 46 Golden Chicken Curries at Salad King, or a return flight to Europe, or...

17. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

aye! ableton goodness > dead coyotes

18. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I can't believe JamesM doesn't have a Canada Goose jacket. He's the biggest Douche on Tribe :)

19. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

20. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

I don't own one, but I would because I am outside very often with my dog, and it would serve its purpose. Thing is, I love the cold, and so I'd like to be warm when outside.

This thing about it being "worth" $600 is a hard pill to swallow, because I wonder what "high quality fabrics" really cost (i.e. what is their margin? what does it cost to make this jacket?) - questions which I don't have the answers to.

MEC makes very very warm winter jackets but their shit isn't stylish enough, or ugly enough in this case, to catch on (and it's far cheaper than $600). Example http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/InsulatedOuterwear/PRD~5017-628/mec-frontenac-parka-mens.jsp is their most expensive parka at $270 and it's probably as warm as the CG.

MEC Frontenac Parka (Men's)
    Weight: 1.809kg (Large)
    A block heater for your body, this very warm and rugged down parka is cut with enough room to wear over a light sweater or mid-weight fleece. The outer shell is tough, water-resistant, and great for dry, cold, squeaky snow conditions.

• Shell fabric is abrasion-resistant 100-denier polyester with an excellent DWR treatment to provide water-resistance in all but the wettest settings.
    • Lining fabric is 30-denier nylon with a DWR treatment.
    • Insulated with 550 fill-power goose down. Two layers of sewn-through insulation in the front, one in the back.
    • Integrated hood with shockcord closure and removable 100% polyester faux-fur trim. The furriness is soft against your neck when the hood is down, and blocks out blustery conditions and spindrift when worn up.
    • Fleece-lined collar.
    • Insulated zipper flap with snap closures.
    • Two external cargo pockets have flaps and snap closures. Two internal cargo pockets have huge capacity.
    • Two fleece lined handwarmer pockets are high on the chest.
    • Internal chest pocket with electronics cord portal.
    • One upper arm pocket with a zip, one more that closes with a snap.
    • Waist drawcord with a snap closure powder skirt.
    • Knit cuffs on sleeves seal out the cold.

21. alexd

When you raise your Canada Goose hoods snugly about your faces, just think of this:

[​IMG]

22. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I don't think it makes sense for people to buy Canada Goose parkas unless they work outside in the extreme cold. In Toronto I'd say they are invaluable to bouncers and that's about it. Anybody else, they're overkill. Like buying a Range Rover to drive on city streets.

A good black Canada Goose parka will keep a bouncer warm no matter how cold the night is. And will last them 10+ years no matter how many heads they have to bash in along the way.

23. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

24. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Ever try to sit on the TTC wearing a down jacket. Its not easy.

Lots of room once all the air escapes!

25. alexd