• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Canada dissed??

zouk

TRIBE Member
Misstress Barbara, one of my fav djs, is touring Asia. In all her promo bios on the flyers and such, she is marketed as an Italian techno DJ from Italy yadda yadda, without one mention of Canada anywhere - which is essentially where she has gained much momentum (if I am not mistaken). Whether she knew about this bio, I am not sure...

"Misstress Barbara.Italy

Italian-born Misstress Barbara's creative involvement with music began when she picked up the drums at 12. But she traded in her drum kit for a pair of decks in 95, got her first booking in 96, and has since gone to rock dancefloors all over Europe, North and South America, and Asia. Her varied musical taste has led her to play many important clubs like Twilo and Tunnel in New York, Rex in Paris and now Zouk..........she's considered by many as the first lady of techno."

Graham, Tripwire, Hawtin, Stadius etc all came over to the Far East and the Canadian Flag was splashed all over their respective flyers and bios... Even in Roger Sanchez's bio on his flyers in Asia, Montreal's Stereo is mentioned alongside with those NY venues.

Granted MB is Italian, but shall we as Canadians take this as a dis? A step back for world recognition of Canadian djs? Just wanted to hear some reactions....

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
she moved to montreal at some young age and lived there until semi recently

she actually does include it often in her bios

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!
MB is a fucking tread,and if she wants to distance herself from Canada I say good.
haha...a tread
compared to what? you?

big fuckin :rolleyes: to that

I don't think it's a diss, I think the person writing it made a mistake. She was born in Italy... but she's one helluva proud Montreal-er, that's for sure.

kuba

TRIBE Member
so her bio doesnt talk about her days in montreal.

she didnt say "canada sucks ass", shes just more proud of her heritage is all. No problems here.

lok

TRIBE Member
yeah seriously Misstress represents her Montreal heritage very adamantly. I am sure if you showed her this link, she'd be confused as well.

ps she fucking owns :D

Preroller

TRIBE Member
I've read her Bio before, and it was almost verbatem of what was posted above, but with all the Canada stuff in it:confused:
hmm, maybe the writer IS dissing Canada, but I don't think MB would.

DAVE

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What about "British born" Richie Hawtin? In all the interviews I've read seem to avoid mentioning Canada like the plague...

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
haha...a tread
compared to what? you?

big fuckin :rolleyes: to that

I don't think it's a diss, I think the person writing it made a mistake. She was born in Italy... but she's one helluva proud Montreal-er, that's for sure.

Oh lookout her comes the Misstress Barbara cheerleader...

*Go team*

...she still sucks and is still a tread

Kung Po Beef

TRIBE Member
This just puts into perspective how relatively unimportant Canada is on the world scene. We're just too new and too small (population wise) to be noticed.

But we'll get there!!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Oh lookout her comes the Misstress Barbara cheerleader...

*Go team*

...she still sucks and is still a tread
yup, that's me...funny, I don't see any of your squad in this thread though

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
and as far as first lady of techno goes-FUCK THAT! she hasn't been playing techno that long,she started playing fucking trance in 95.those comments are a huge insult to the real first lady of techno-SASKIA

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Mr. Moe

TRIBE Member
MB never played trance...destiny was the only company to book her in toronto back then... so people think she was a trance dj...she has always played techno/house...

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr. Moe
MB never played trance...destiny was the only company to book her in toronto back then... so people think she was a trance dj...she has always played techno/house...
as someone who saw her play back then,i would most definitley say it wasn't techno.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lok
yeah seriously Misstress represents her Montreal heritage very adamantly. I am sure if you showed her this link, she'd be confused as well.

ps she fucking owns :D

Skipper

TRIBE Member
as someone who saw her play back then,i would most definitley say it wasn't techno.
You seem to classify everything that doesn't strike your fancy as trance, just so you have a "justification" when you rant on about how awful it is.

ie "She played trance, and we all know trance sucks. Therefore..."

(...just what I've noticed.)