• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Canada Brew is selling out....

Cannabus

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
huh?

unrelated.
it was in relation as to why "the beer store" has such a strangle hold on the beer market in Ontario. I find it kind of crazy when all you want is a cold tasty beverage, you have to seek out the closest beer store/lcbo to satisfy your needs. look at all the corner stores for christ sakes.. anyways while grocery shopping the other day i picked up a case of 24 Sleeman Honey for $27 dollars at Loblaws on sale .. :eek: thats what i call a steal recently moving to Quebec.my jaw dropped when I saw the price of beer here.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
Cannabus said:
i picked up a case of 24 Sleeman Honey for $27 dollars at Loblaws on sale .. :eek: thats what i call a steal recently moving to Quebec.
And then there are European beer prices :D

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
There's a continuing trend of multinational consolidation in the brewing world. This news isn't a surprise, nor is it a problem for Canadian production of beer.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
I'm not exactly a beer drinker, but if I was the prices (when compared to Canadian prices) would certainly have me smiling.

Boo

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
non-government distribution of beer, wine and spirits leads to ruined homes.
thats my point, Brewers Retail - 'the Beer Store' (unlike the LCBO) is not a governmental body. Its a private body owned by 3 brewers and the profits go to the shareholders.

1. Sleeman (now Japenese owned)
2. Labatts (owned by Belgian Interbrew)
3. Molsen (US-Canadian owned)

It would be similar to giving Walmart sole access to the Canadian food retail market, and if any other food manufacturer wants to sell it, they have to go through wal-mart.

alcid

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
has anyone tried MCClays? it's like Keiths but a buck a beer

as for beers Blanche de Chambly is a nice summer beer and from Quebec, which is like another country
McClay's actually isn't half bad. Not much different from Keiths.

Blanche de Chambly is amazing, and it is now also owned by Sapporo (Sleemans bought Unibroue in 2004).

kyfe

TRIBE Member
alcid said:
McClay's actually isn't half bad. Not much different from Keiths.

Blanche de Chambly is amazing, and it is now also owned by Sapporo (Sleemans bought Unibroue in 2004).
yeah blanche is what i love to drink when i can find it although I've been digging stella which is great for a big brew.

Yes I was also impressed with McClay's, I was suprised how good a $26 case can taste:D

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
alcid said:
i love blanche and also la fin du monde

althoguh after 6 la fin's, i tend to be not knowing where i am exactly

alcid

TRIBE Member
KodiaK said:
i love blanche and also la fin du monde

althoguh after 6 la fin's, i tend to be not knowing where i am exactly
haha Maudite and Trois Pistoles are both great too and they both have that same effect on me!

I've been quite disappointed in Unibroue's lack of representation at the Beer Festival ever since Sleeman bought them!

OTIS

TRIBE Member
dyad said:
all the more reason to sip on the microbrews
S'ackly. Toronto is blessed with a good range of them just in it's confines alone, let alone in Ontario. Let the boring mammoth beer makers ship themselves out of country, I'd be drinking Mill St. Organic anyway*.

*Communist beers come a close second. It's the low purification standards and radiation that give it an "edge".

alcid

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
S'ackly. Toronto is blessed with a good range of them just in it's confines alone, let alone in Ontario. Let the boring mammoth beer makers ship themselves out of country, I'd be drinking Mill St. Organic anyway*.

*Communist beers come a close second. It's the low purification standards and radiation that give it an "edge".
Some of my favourite microbrews:

McAuslan (St. Ambroise Pale Ale and Oatmeal Stout, McAuslan Cream Ale, and their mustard is awesome too!)
Cameron's (cream ale)
Denissons (mmmm weiss)
Brick (their new J.R. Brickman line of premiums is good and Waterloo Dark is also good)
Amsterdam Breweries (Blonde, Nut Brown are both good)
Neustadt Springs (their Lager is really good)

SJN

TRIBE Member
Boo said:
2. Labatts (owned by Belgian Interbrew)
Interbrew no longer exists. Labatts is owned by InBev, which resulted from a merger of Interbrew and AmBev (a Brazilian company)

Beats-Mistress

TRIBE Member
Boo said:
thats my point, Brewers Retail - 'the Beer Store' (unlike the LCBO) is not a governmental body. Its a private body owned by 3 brewers and the profits go to the shareholders.

...It would be similar to giving Walmart sole access to the Canadian food retail market, and if any other food manufacturer wants to sell it, they have to go through wal-mart.
ding ding ding ding ding

finally :)

billy

TRIBE Member
where is sapporo on the global market standing wise? i know interbrew is (or at least was) second to heineken.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
One thing I've noticed since the Sleeman's takeover of Unibroue LCBO's don't stock very much of their products anymore and its gotten alot more difficult to find the 750ml corked bottles. Even in Quebec this past weekend I found Unibroue products weren't as easy to find as they were 2 years ago.

I really hope with this next merger Unibroue doesn't disappear completely.

billy

TRIBE Member
wayne bradbury said:
I really hope with this next merger Unibroue doesn't disappear completely.

what are unibroue products? i'm not familiar with this brewerey. if you mean interbrew then you are very much lost because they are a kingpin.

SJN

TRIBE Member
billy said:
what are unibroue products? i'm not familiar with this brewerey. if you mean interbrew then you are very much lost because they are a kingpin.
Unibroue is a Quebec brewery.

Interbrew doesn't exist....they merged with AmBev, and the merged company is called InBev....InBev is now the largest brewery in the world.

alcid

TRIBE Member
billy said:
Unibroue is a Quebec microbrewery that was bought by Sleemans in 2004. They make very unique Belgian-style brews that are really good! Before Sleemans bought them, Unibroue was said to be a brewery which catered to the sovereigntist movement in Quebec, as many of their beer names and labels feature symbols that appeal to a francophone audience.

their brands:

Blanche de Chambly
La Bolduc
Don de Dieu
Eau Bénite
Éphémère
Fin du monde
Fringante
Maudite
Quelque Chose
Raftman
St-Hubert
Terrible
Trois Pistoles
U
U2

You won't see most of these in Ontario, but look for Maudite, Fin du Monde, Blanche de Chambly, and occasionally Éphémère and Trois Pistoles.

I don't mind some Sleemans products, but I will NEVER forgive them if they dismantle or in any way ruin Unibroue. They're already seemingly on shaky ground, as it is getting harder to find a lot of Unibroue stuff in stock (as others have mentioned), both at liquor stores and some bars/restaurants that usually carry them. I'm hoping that they're just restructuring their distribution channels.

sometimes I think I like beer too much.

billy

TRIBE Member
SJN said:
Unibroue is a Quebec brewery.

Interbrew doesn't exist....they merged with AmBev, and the merged company is called InBev....InBev is now the largest brewery in the world.
ahh...the end of the world beer. wasn't familiar with the brewery name.

so interbrew is no more. when did this happen? what products did/does AmBev represent?

i miss those trips to that mock pub on king west. when i worked at montana on john, we were one of the first venues to have stella, hoegarden, etc and they treated us like kings. over my years in the business i did that training session 5 times. anyone who has been to one knows it is worth it. you sit through less than a couple hours of training and then spend another few hours "practicing your pouring technique".