1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Canada bails on UN Security Council Seat

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by alexd, Oct 12, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Portugal beat Canada for it. Our tiny little bit of influence in the world is waning.

2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Germany won, Portugal took second, we were third. We didn't bail, we failed. Which is fine with me. The less influence we try to have on the international "security" scene the better. I really wish we could just go back to our peacekeeping role...

3. alexd

Canada drops bid for UN Security Council seat

Last Updated: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 | 12:53 PM ET

CBC News

Canada has dropped its bid for a seat on the United Nations Security Council after coming behind Portugal in second ballot voting Tuesday in New York.

Canada dropped out of the race because it did not have the numbers on the second ballot — 78 to Portugal's 113. A two-thirds majority is needed to win a seat.

It is the first time that Canada has failed in its bid for a Security Council seat. Canada has been on the Security Council six times, roughly once a decade, since the 1940s. The country's last term ended in 2000.

Some observers believe the Harper government's foreign policy is largely responsible for Tuesday's outcome, including its pro-Israel stance on the Middle East, cutting foreign aid to Africa, and also the move away from UN peacekeeping and toward the Afghan mission.

Germany won one of two seats up for grabs in the first round of voting earlier Tuesday.

Read more: CBC News - World - Canada drops bid for UN Security Council seat

4. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Do you think online polls are still relevant? ch33se

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

6. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Portugal?! WTF?

As if they can even afford the seat it should have gone to Germany and then maybe us.

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Hey hey dont knock Portugal. They reformed their drug laws after all: all possession is decriminalized...

8. alexd

They make good chicken as well. And those Portuguese bread rolls! That had to account for something in the voting.

9. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Not at all! Had my Honeymoon there. Only because it's got beaches and is half the price of Spain.

Doesn't change the fact they are not doing so well financially and compared to Germany or Canada afaik can't compare to world security issues.

10. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

What a desperately pathetic party the Conservatives are. They've been running a shitty government that lacks vision for spite and done everything nobody wants - not Canadians, not the international community - in regards to foreign policy. Then to try to hang it on the Liberals. Ha, they can't even admit fault. No reflection or improvements in their government or policies to come soon, I see.

Dark times, Canada.

11. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Ha, as expected.

"The Canadian government, Harper said, takes its positions based on the promotion of "our values — freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law, justice, development, humanitarian assistance for those who need it.

"Those are the things we're pursuing, and that does not change regardless of what the outcome of secret votes is."

CBC News - Politics - UN 'secret votes' won't sway Canada: PM

wtf does that even mean.

12. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Blame Ignatieff? Really?

13. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

14. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

15. octo

octo TRIBE Member

the UAE kicked Canada out. Apparently they closed their airspace a few days ago just in time to fuck Peter McKay's flight from Pakistan.

Harper talked shit about the UN from the begining. Ignatief is right, Canada has not earned a spot on the security council. but he shouldn't have said it like that. He should have said "Canada deserves a seat at the security council but garnering enough support would be difficult because of Harper's foreign policies and attitude towards the UN"

16. alexd

^

What octo says

17. wayne kenoff

wayne kenoff TRIBE Member

Harper is an embarrassment in international circles and a lapdog of the US. But then we knew that all along.

18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Yep, ironically called "Proud to be Canadian" - ironic because when you read the site it really looks like if America ever invaded, these guys would be on the other side.

They have hard-ons for Uncle Sam.

The War on Christmas shit should be starting soon. They were already pissed at Harper for not thanking god on thanksgiving! I will be sure to update the war on christmas thread once the moaning starts...

19. AgentSanchez

AgentSanchez TRIBE Promoter

My eyes are bleeding from that link. Holy fucking fuck.

Edit: and then I read a few posts and lost a few IQ points too

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010