1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Can you wash those pashmina scarves in the washing machine?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Oct 4, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I have tons of cheap Pashmina scarves of various colors. Can you wash them in the washing machine? Dry-cleaning them would cost more than what I paid for them i bet....

2. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

i dry clean mine.

3. alexd

Maybe i will try and wash one and see what happens. It could turn into a small rectangular napkin, but then again I may discover a new way to clean cheap pashmina scarves for cheap.

4. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Both of you own boats don't ya?

5. alexd

Not me! And these scarves I am talking about are the $4.99 variety normally found in dollar stores.

6. awwnaw

awwnaw TRIBE Member

Have you ever washed a facial tissue (the decent kind not the 1 ply cheapo) in the laundry? That's what your chinatown pashmina will look like when it comes out if you put it in the washing machine. I'd say it'll depend on the weave of your pashmina; i've washed a fairly thick one and it wasn't too bad.

Your best bet is to dump em all in tub, slosh around for five minutes and you should be good. Then when you've squeezed out all the water you'll need to reshape them and best dry them flat on a towel (but then they are scarves so not a huge deal to you if they stretch and you hang them..?). Obviously never put them in the dryer unless you want a felt napkin to come out. And actually you should avoid dry cleaning wool. It's too harsh on the fibres and will eventually break them down and the whole thing will become hairy.

7. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Yes
    just wash them on the delicate cycle in cold water with appropriate mild soap, and hang to dry

8. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

my wife agrees

9. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

If the pashmina has any tassles/threads hanging from either end, you'll ruin it. I did this once, the tassles became entangled and unraveled.

10. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

Bucket of hot water
    Drop a few denture cleaners in
    Rinse with cold water
    Hang dry

Voila.

11. alexd

First, I have to get a bucket.

12. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

Might be time to make a laundry tips subforum.

13. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

Hand-wash, please.

14. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

You could always ask this guy:

[​IMG]

15. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

huh. i thought AlexD was a dude :confused:

16. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

It's October! You're pushing scarf season a little... Cool people have cold necks until November 17th, it's a fact!

17. alexd

scarves are essential for bike riding

18. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

What?! I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how cool my exposed neck is...

19. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

20. alexd

I think I am going to try the bucket method if I can find some of my old man's denture tabs in the house (i think I chucked them though, who knew they could be used to launder scarves!). As a fallback position, I will try the gentle cycle with woolite or some other gentle detergent. I may even get a blue bucket, just for the hell of it, walrus stylz.

21. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I have a front-loading washing machine which eliminates that issue. If you don't, put it in one of those mesh bags for undies.

22. erika

erika TRIBE Member

If you only have one you can just do it in your sink with dish soap you know...

23. Phat Buddha

Phat Buddha TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

24. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

put them in a lingerie (is that how you spell it?) bag, then put that in the washer on delicate, in cold wash/ cold rinse cycle, then hang them to dry. thats how I wash scarves and they look fine. Maybe a little fuzzier but I like that. If you don't have the mesh bag you can put them in a pillow case, then tie the end in a knot and add that to the washing machine.

25. alexd

Does the color run on those scarves I wonder.