• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Can you vote wearing a jib jab?

Stop Bill C-10

acheron

TRIBE Member
JibJab_Logo_-_Wikipedia.png

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Well I don't see what all that fuss was about wearing one at the citizenship ceremony was about if it is already done in the voting booth, after taking it off to be identified.

I wonder how it is done: if Elections Canada or the Citizenship people have a special, private area where they can be removed to identify the person, or if the person has to remove it in the public voting space like the local school gym with everyone else who happens to be present in the room?

Rage

TRIBE Member
Out of respect for this country that you're being granted citizenship to - show your face while taking the oath of citizenship, your drivers license photo and when you vote.

It's not too much to ask. We would be expected to follow your customs & traditions if it was the other way around - I can speak from close, personal experience.

We're all too busy worrying about offending this person, that minority, other religious sectors that we're allowing our own traditions & what we hold dear to us to be passed over.

If you don't like it, there's the door.

Edit: My wife was so proud when she got her Citizenship. She wore red, did all her makeup, hair. Was ecstatic. Was so happy to officially be part of Canada & couldn't wait to get up there and take the oath, sing our national anthem, stand up straight & be seen. She was more than happy to adhere to anything that was asked of her by the court. Why is this such a problem for others who are lucky enough to be granted citizenship in the greatest country in the world?!

Last edited:

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
Yeah, Rage, seeing her face while she's sworn in is not something I necessarily hold dear.

The charter of Rights and Freedoms is, though, and I believe it was ruled that asking her to remove her niqab infringes those rights.

This issue is far too complicated for Tribe: We must retrieve the blood stone from Striesand and resurrect 1981 Pierre Trudeau to lead us through this debacle, but she is has hidden herself away in the far peaks of the Mount Edith, surrounding herself by an army of undead Acadians and Metis.

First… we must get the Dagger of Screech from the Wizard of Labrador, and the golden earmuffs of the Red River… to protect us from the deadly shrieks of Bab's zombie Louis Real. Quick, onto my dogless dogsled of the Bombardier, we ride!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
First… we must get the Dagger of Screech from the Wizard of Labrador, and the golden earmuffs of the Red River… to protect us from the deadly shrieks of Bab's zombie Louis Real. Quick, onto my dogless dogsled of the Bombardier, we ride!

This makes the most sense!

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Out of respect for this country that you're being granted citizenship to - show your face while taking the oath of citizenship, your drivers license photo and when you vote.

Why do people bring up the fact that they want to wear the niqab in their government ID photos? That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Of course that will never happen nor is anyone asking to do that. Don't mix up issues.

I don't really like the niqab either and don't really like seeing it in public but really you people are making a big deal out of nothing. Who does it hurt? Did you get offended when a Sikh RCMP officer wanted to wear a turban? Maybe he should've gotten the fuck out instead of wanting to be an RCMP officer.

diablo

TRIBE Member
I don't really like the niqab either and don't really like seeing it in public but really you people are making a big deal out of nothing. Who does it hurt?

Short answer: tacit approval of a backwards practise that harms young women who are forced to wear it (let's not kid ourselves), as well as making others uncomfortable in public settings.

When I worked at a bank, my manager would regularly ask people in line to remove scarves, hats, hoods, etc that covered their face and concealed their identity. I can imagine how that would go down in this case.

Rage

TRIBE Member
Wonder how all you bleeding hearts out there would feel if your wife/husband/partner got yelled at by a family of 6 who were clad in the "jib-jabs" while in Niagara Falls over a holiday because she was wearing shorts & a tank top. She was yelled at for not covering herself up & "exposing herself" to their children.

So I guess we should be careful with what we wear out in public so as to not offend others freedoms, right? While we're at it, let's also modify our sex-ed teachings in school because, you know, it's wrong for LGBT's to be able to get married and have a family.

Bring it Tribe, I'm sure I'll get crucified for this one!

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
This info is not hard to find but then you don't get to have fun making shitty thread titles.

If an elector wearing a face covering comes to vote, the deputy returning officer will ask the elector to show their face. If the elector agrees to remove their face covering, the election officer will follow regular voting procedures. Election officers have been instructed to exercise respect and sensitivity in following this administrative procedure.

If the elector does not wish to remove their face covering, the deputy returning officer will advise the elector that they must provide two pieces of authorized identification – at least one having the elector's current address – and then take an oath attesting to their eligibility to vote. If the elector agrees to provide the identification and take the oath, the election officer will follow regular voting procedures.

If the elector refuses to uncover their face and also refuses to provide two pieces of identification and take an oath, they will not be permitted to vote.

Elections Canada Online | FAQs – Polling places

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
Ug, fuck, Jane - you always stop me questing to communicate the ghosts of past Prime Ministers.

This is exactly like the Haunted Clock of R.B. Bennett - you poo-pooed that with your "science." NOT EVERYTHING CAN BE SOLVED WITH LOGIC!

diablo

TRIBE Member
If the elector does not wish to remove their face covering, the deputy returning officer will advise the elector that they must provide two pieces of authorized identification – at least one having the elector's current address – and then take an oath attesting to their eligibility to vote. If the elector agrees to provide the identification and take the oath, the election officer will follow regular voting procedures.

Absolute horseshit, and should not be allowed.

If you allow it in any official instance, it's a matter of time before it's used for anything else...to say nothing of society being subjected to a ridiculous rigamarole for literally a bronze-age practice.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see educated western people advocating on behalf of this nonsense under the pretext that we don't want to "exclude" these women. They're already excluded! They're walking around in a cocoon!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What if a Klansman wants to vote in Klan robes??

That attire was not designed to honor a mythical magical invisible being so it probably wouldn't get any "respect and sensitivity" at the voting site or citizenship ceremony.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Absolute horseshit, and should not be allowed.

If you allow it in any official instance, it's a matter of time before it's used for anything else...to say nothing of society being subjected to a ridiculous rigamarole for literally a bronze-age practice.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see educated western people advocating on behalf of this nonsense under the pretext that we don't want to "exclude" these women. They're already excluded! They're walking around in a cocoon!

it is really amazing when you actually read the 'official' policy and see how easily we've allowed religious privilege to override common sense & logic.

like, who cares if they have 2 pieces of ID if you can't see their face? wtf does it matter if one of the pieces have their address on it? you still can't verify who the fuck it is.

CQif3YAW8AELOTN.jpg:large

praktik

TRIBE Member

Seems like you have a comic book view of the niqab, maybe listening to the words of a niqab wearer will let you see that not everyone who wears one is a repressed woman suffering from the oppression of man.

Here is how the niqab wearer who is now going to wear her niqab for her citizenship ceremony views it:

“I come from a family that is from the liberal class in Lahore and I decided to wear the niqab from a very young age, when I was 15 years old and in Grade 11,” she told me. “My father, who was a professor of psychology, said to me: ‘My daughter, do you know what you are doing? If you are going to take the veil, you must know what you are doing.’ I understood perfectly. This was not something my husband asked for, as journalists now think – I didn’t know my husband at the time. My sisters made the same decision. No one compelled them to wear the veil. They just felt more comfortable.”
Ms Ishaq became a permanent resident of Canada in 2008, after leaving Pakistan, where she married her chemical engineer husband in 2006 and shortly after had her first child. Her fourth was born six weeks ago. She believes that Harper’s ministers “weren’t clear in their minds” when they first objected to the veil being worn at the citizenship ceremony. Leaked emails in the Canadian press that show civil servants in Mr Kenney’s ministry in Ottawa warning him that the ban on the veil may have no legal basis – they were effectively told to shut up and continue to implement the policy – suggest that the redoubtable Ms Ishaq may be right.

“Lawyers have tried to explain this policy but it’s very ambiguous,” she said. “I think they are using this issue for some political success. I have nothing to do with it. There is so much misinformation about all this.”
Ms Ishaq still vividly recalls her arguments with her college teachers in Pakistan when she was studying English literature. “One of them asked me: ‘how can you explain yourself when you wear this veil over your face?’ I told him I have to wear it and that it was none of his business,” she remembers. “I was confused and surprised – but I told him to mind his own business...[and] I passed my exams. I was 18.”

"I decided to wear the niqab from a very young age, when I was 15"
Teacher Zunera Ishaq
Even Shakespeare, it seems, came to the rescue. Ms Ishaq found herself fascinated by Hamlet, in which Ophelia is treated with scorn and cruelty. “I found that women in English literature were also treated very harshly,” she says. “It’s not only in Islam that people talk about women like this. I am going to fight on for the right to wear the veil. I am 90 per cent certain I will win and if I don’t, I will also appeal.”​
She doesn't invest the veil with all the negativity people who claim to protect "Canadian Values" do - in fact, if you read the above and take her honest statements at face value, her *wearing the niqab* is actually more in line with Canadian values than her being forced to take it off.

The niqab is more complicated than just a visible element of Backwards Islam - young women all over the world are starting to take new views of it and are "owning" it - like the woman quoted above who will be sworn in soon with her face veil on.

praktik

TRIBE Member
like, who cares if they have 2 pieces of ID if you can't see their face? wtf does it matter if one of the pieces have their address on it? you still can't verify who the fuck it is.

With the ID, you can identify - thats the point of ID

praktik

TRIBE Member
Nice Lawrence Krauss quote - I think he is right to point out laws should not be created with the "sole purpose of denigrating religion" - like the Kenney manual's purpose was with respect to Islam.