• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Can you get Belgian waffles in Belgium?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
We have a TRIBEr who lives in Belgium as I recall....

This is something that I have often wondered...

In Belgium, can you get Belgian waffles? Or do they just call them waffles, leaving out the 'Belgium' part? Do they even eat waffles in Belgium? Or is 'Belgian Waffles' just some contrived food name created by North Americans to make their domestic waffles seem more special?

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Usually leave out the "Belgian". A friend, recently in Chicago and visiting a high end steak house, asked for his steak to be "Chicago rare" and received a blank stare in return. Was very amusing.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
As the story goes, the "Belgian" waffle (round, fluffy, covered in strawberries, whipped cream...) was invented somewhere in the '50s and showcased at Expo '58 in Brussels.

They're pretty similar to what's known around here as a Brusselse wafel or Brussels waffle. But even those aren't really eaten with stuff on top (unless you're a tourist), they're definitely not a breakfast food, and I've never seen a round one here in Belgium.

In this part of the country, people are more likely to eat a Luikse wafel (Liège waffle aka suikerwafel - sugar waffle) or vanillewafel (vanilla waffle). A Luikse wafel is based on a yeasted dough and has chunks of pearl sugar in it. They're best eaten fresh and warm, but they're frequently eaten (packaged) as a snack. A vanillewafel is vanilla-flavoured (duh), imagine something kind of Eggo-like but soft. Both the Luikse and vanille waffles are widely available, packaged as a lunchbox snack or sold in vending machines.

Then you've also got waffles filled with different kinds of fruit (cherry, apricot...), stroopwafels (but they're more Dutch), Kempische wafels...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
In this part of the country, people are more likely to eat a Luikse wafel (Liège waffle aka suikerwafel - sugar waffle) or vanillewafel (vanilla waffle). A Luikse wafel is based on a yeasted dough and has chunks of pearl sugar in it. They're best eaten fresh and warm, but they're frequently eaten (packaged) as a snack. A vanillewafel is vanilla-flavoured (duh), imagine something kind of Eggo-like but soft. Both the Luikse and vanille waffles are widely available, packaged as a lunchbox snack or sold in vending machines.

Then you've also got waffles filled with different kinds of fruit (cherry, apricot...), stroopwafels (but they're more Dutch), Kempische wafels...
I am getting so hungry for waffles!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I think what we think of as "Belgium" is the Brussels style not the Liege.

Edit that was already mentioned.