• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Can I use beaded tires on a bike rim that isn't hooked?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
My friend bought a nice vintage CCM camelback and the back tire is very old and cracking and needs to be replaced. . When I changed the tube on it I noticed that the rim isn't hooked. I have never seen that before on a bike. Can a modern beaded tire be used on it? It is low pressure, maybe 70-80lbs.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Is this that vintage cruiser? You can use a regular tire. Make sure you get the proper size. 26 X 1 3/8 is not the same as 26 X 1.375. I suspect that's the size or 27 X 1 1/4

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Is this that vintage cruiser? You can use a regular tire. Make sure you get the proper size. 26 X 1 3/8 is not the same as 26 X 1.375. I suspect that's the size or 27 X 1 1/4
There are no size markings on the tire. I have been reading quite a few blogs and watching youtube videos and everyone seems to have a different way of measuring.

It is an old steel rim that is a bit rusty inside which I cleaned off with an SOS pad and put on rim tape because the flats seemed to be caused by roughness on the brass nipple parts. and the hub has a coaster brake. It is slightly out of true. I am wondering if it might be wise to get a modern rim and have someone build it onto that coaster brake hub to make it easier to get tires and tubes?

She doesn't ride it a lot but the tire has been getting flat quite often.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
This is the red bike you posted in the cycling thread right? Those are almost definitely 26 x 1 3/8 tires. You can get them at any shop that deals with older bike repair- Bike joint will have them for sure. You won't be able to measure anything accurately. If you don't want to make 2 trips to the bike shop, just bring the wheel and test fit the tire when you go.

You are correct on the rim tape, that is required. You could buy a new rim- and it would be cheaper to buy a pre-built with a new hub but you're going to have to get the same size to fit the bike so it won't make much of a difference on your tire supply. The tires shouldn't be hard to find, and you should be able to get an inexpensive one for $20. $50 for a fancy one.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
look on sheldonbrown.com and he'll sort you out! (posthumously)
Well, from looking at his site and the CCM forum I deduce that the 700 C size will work and since that is what is on there already, perhaps I will get another for her today.

Also learned that the Rim is market F13 which is a "rare designation" according to Sheldon. She's special!