• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Can anything be done about this?

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
I had a rather unsettling experience at work today, and it got me quite mad. I was wondering if I could do anything about it.

I got in this morning at 6am, and found out that one of the seniors had called in sick(he really isn't) That left me alone, but I said "Alright, it'll be ok." So I continued on my business.

An hour passes, and my manager starts screaming at me because I hadn't started the cycle count. I said what cycle count? Nobody told me about a cycle count.

He said "Oh, because [the senior] has to do it, and now there is no senior here, it's up to you, why didn't you start it?"

I looked at him with daggers, i swear. "Because you didn't tell me there was one."

He said "You haven't been doing anything since you got here, you've just been floating around and I saw you take your break an hour and a half after you got here."

I asked him if there was a requirement suddenly that said when I should take my breaks. He said no, but because I wasn't doing anything that I shouldn't have taken it.

I got in a huge argument, telling him how dare he accuse me of doing nothing, and telling him that he's a manager and has a responsibility to tell his employees when they should be doing things that aren't their job.

This started the day...

I agreed to do the count, and as I was in the warehouse I was rummaging through boxes and cardboard particles flew into my eye and scratched my eyeball. I ran out to flush my eye and remove my contacts.

I when to the managers desk to explain what had happened, and asked the manager if I could run home quickly to get eyedrops and salvage my contacts.

He said no, because I was the only one in my department. I said The store doesn't open for another two hours! I could be home and back in twenty minutes.

He refused, and I was forced to put my contacts in a makeshift "case"

They have dried up, and folded shut, and I don't think I'll be able to save them.

I screamed at him about it, and threatened to give him the bill. I am uninsured, and I cannot afford to pay to buy my own new ones.

Is there anyway I can give the bill to the company for this?

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I'm sure you can get the dude fired cause man, if your eye is injured like that, he should have let you go home cause he sure as hell ain't an optomitrist so he has no say-so as to whether or not you'll be okay.

negligent at best.

I dunno who you work for but call a regional manager or something.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
In my proffesional opinion your manager sounds like a dick. I'd take those shrivelled up contacts and drop them in his coffee tomorrow morning.

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
Yes there can be something done. Tell me his name and his address and he won't be at work tomorrow morning ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
My eye has been bugging me all day even after I took my contacts out and flushed my eye. I said I had the proper drops at home (I'm two blocks away!) and it would only take a second to get them.

It was all too ridiculous for me to handle.

MBoy

TRIBE Member
If you are injured at work, your employer MUST provide you with care. He can actually get in very very serious trouble with WSIB. especially if you had a legitimate complaint (ie your eye was hurt) from work you were doing that was job related.

check it

MBoy

TRIBE Member
From "Workers" ---> "Injury and Illness"

Injury and Illness

If you are injured or ill because of work, your first priority is to seek proper medical attention. You must also inform your employer or supervisor, so that they can give you assistance and fulfill their responsibilities regarding the incident.

In case of injury or illness you should:

1. Get proper medical treatment
Go to the nearest first aid station immediately and notify a staff member trained in first aid. An accurate record should be kept of the treatment you receive.
If your injury or illness is serious (or you are not sure how serious it is) go to a doctor or hospital. Your employer is responsible for providing transport to medical treatment and may have to call an ambulance or assign someone to accompany you.

2. Report the incident to your employer
Your employer or supervisor needs to know about your injury or illness to provide help, fulfill their employer responsibilities under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, and take measures to prevent further incidents. Report the incident to your supervisor immediately.

MBoy

TRIBE Member
Your employer did not fulfill his responsibilities under that aforementioned act, and can get a serious fine.

I say you sick it on him.

What kind of crackerasspeckerhead do you have for a manager?

There's no way you could have run to a shoppers to get your stuff?

Regardless, take a deep breath and write off any conversation with him for today.

Tomorrow, schedule some time with him. Talk the issue over. See what happens. If there's no resolution to this that satisfys you, then speak to someone in HR confidentially to ask for their input.

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MBoy
Your employer did not fulfill his responsibilities under that aforementioned act, and can get a serious fine.

I say you sick it on him.

I should sick alot of things on this company, but maybe I'll start small ;)

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
What kind of crackerasspeckerhead do you have for a manager?

There's no way you could have run to a shoppers to get your stuff?

Regardless, take a deep breath and write off any conversation with him for today.

Tomorrow, schedule some time with him. Talk the issue over. See what happens. If there's no resolution to this that satisfys you, then speak to someone in HR confidentially to ask for their input.

I live two blocks away from the store, I could've ran there in back and saved my contacts and not had to have been in pain all day (although working blind was an interesting experience)

MBoy

TRIBE Member
At the very least, you can go to "forms" on that website and print out an "employers report of injury/disease"

That oughta stir shit up a bit with the wsib.

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MBoy
At the very least, you can go to "forms" on that website and print out an "employers report of injury/disease"

That oughta stir shit up a bit with the wsib.

My fiance is a supervisor at the same place and he JUST said the same thing, plus he said that I should call HR as well.

MBoy

TRIBE Member
Honestly, you may not recoup the money from the lenses, but this way your manager will take notice that you know your rights and you are not to be fucked with.

PS congrats, i didn't know you were engaged!! :) :) :)

sk8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cheer Bear

He refused, and I was forced to put my contacts in a makeshift "case"

They have dried up, and folded shut, and I don't think I'll be able to save them.

soak them for a day or two in the solution. hopefully they will be okay - i've had mine dry up before and then be okay. not great, but usable. next time just put them in a glass of water to stop them from drying out (sorry one of those hindsight things...)

and he completely should have let you go home - you can get him in some serious shit for that. you could have done real damage to your eye - you can scratch it from wood/cardboard shavings. i'd go with DIWC's advice - she really knows her shit about stuff like this.

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
I'm soaking them right now to see if I can save them, but the contact that was in the eye that got crap in it looks weird, like mishapen and just...weird. I dunno what happened to it

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
also see a doctor to get a note saying that there is something wrong with your eye.

then you can say that was due to his negligence (am I even spelling that word correctly?)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
could it have torn possibly? I lost a pair after I wore them for to long they dried out and when I tried to remove them from my eyeball one tore. It looked all wierd.

Aero

TRIBE Member
I remember a great scene in fight club where edward norton black mails his boss. :) If you don't mind giving yourself a few black eyes.