• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Camping - Need Food Suggestions

CiG

TRIBE Member
------
I'm going on a 5 day camping trip this weekend and I'm not sure what food I should bring... I'm looking for things that don't take up much room, are easily prepared, and wont go bad during the 5 days...

Any Suggestions... ?

Thanks...
------

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

labRat

TRIBE Member
i find that protein/meal replacement bars are great for mornings.

otherwise, canned heavy soups or pasta type things are good (granted you are bringing a stove or heating device of sorts).

dried nuts/fruit/berries are great for snacks

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
It's only 5 days... some gatorade, and a couple of chocolate bars ought to do.

It's good for you just to go without for a few days.

Imajica

TRIBE Member
Snacks are easy:
- fruit bars
- power bars (cliff are the best!)
- pepperrets
- dried fruit
- assorted nuts / trail mixes
- candy (whatever you like but don't choose anything that will melt)
- drink mixes

Meals are easy aswell so long as your creative. The following is a good list of base items to bring and then you just throw it together.
- rice
- dehidrated mashed potatoes (super light and very filling!)
- soup mixes
- tvp (total vegitable protien *use with every meal to thicken up the pot)
- dehidrated chili mix
- noodles
- your favorite spices and seasoning

Where are you going?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ian

TRIBE Member
If you hit up a organic/health food store they have these awesome boil-a-bag Indian dinners. Perfect to throw in a pot of hot water and eat with some bread (such as pita etc.)

Remove from the box first and it is really compact as well.

Yum!

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by ian
If you hit up a organic/health food store they have these awesome boil-a-bag Indian dinners. Perfect to throw in a pot of hot water and eat with some bread (such as pita etc.)

Those are awesome.

Store in the plaza on the southeast corner of Ellesmere and Victoria Park sells them cheap. Just don't buy their ephedrine, since it's actually pseudoephedrine.

CiG

TRIBE Member

------
I'm going to Algonquin Park, we are canoeing and portaging(sp?)...

These suggestions will help a lot... I'd try the gatorade and chocolate bars route but lately I've been hungry all the time so I'm not going to risk it heh...

Thanks...
------

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
if you bring tuna, bring a can opener.

It can take over an hour to open those suckers with just sharp rocks. But damn was that tuna good when I got to it.

ian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Those are awesome.

Store in the plaza on the southeast corner of Ellesmere and Victoria Park sells them cheap. Just don't buy their ephedrine, since it's actually pseudoephedrine.

They also have them in the organic store in Kensignton if you are downtown. . . "Essence of Life" or something silly like that.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
check out the last page or so of the 'what are you having for dinner thread'. sk8 just came back from a camping trip and it sounds like they ate like kings!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
If your portaging you probably will not want cans ass they are heavy to carry, and you'll have to carry your garbage out.

I've found dehydrated soups (ie liptons type) is a good choice, especially if it rains or is cold. Juice crystals are another staple. Especially if you are purifying lake water to drink.. it sometimes taste ick.

Boil in a bag rice is really easy (uncle bens) no mesuring required. hard fruits that can take a beating like apples / orages stand up well and are great snacks and breakfast. Also potatoes and foil so you can just through them on the fire to cook. don't forget salt an I like to put ketchup on them. You can also slice up the potatos before wrapping and through on some diced onions, carrots and bbq sauce. (wierd but tasty)

pitas stand up okay too because they aren't really going to squish and are easy to pack

just think about stuff that doesn't squish and will keep with no fridge.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
i wouldn't take too much canned food since you'll (hopefully) be carrying your garbage out with you too.

prepackaged bagged dinners are easy, as are dehydrated packs (which can actuallybe pretty good!) If you are going to use your pans for any sauces make sure to tinfoil the inside before cooking! Easy cleaning :)

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
if you bring tuna, bring a can opener.

It can take over an hour to open those suckers with just sharp rocks. But damn was that tuna good when I got to it.

or better yet, you can get tuna in these air-sealed plastic envelopes now. right next to the cans.

Imajica

TRIBE Member
I was just in algonquin for 10 day canoeing / portaging trip a week ago. I'll offer you some sage advice, rent your canoes! We brought our own and they took a beating! We ended up having to get out and walk many times, dragging our boats as delicatily as we could with us. On top of that we had to cross countless beaver damns, many of which required that we completely unload the boats before taking them over. Oh and we found all these really cool boulders that sat just below the water surface like a lion ready to pounce. The boats are in a bad state of disreapair right now :(

It was all worth it though :)

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
or better yet, you can get tuna in these air-sealed plastic envelopes now. right next to the cans.

Welll smack my bottom and call me Violet.

They have Tuna in plastic now? For Serious?

Wow... I should of thought of that when I got caught in my little situation at the age of 13. out int he middle of the great outdoors, with nothing but a can of tuna and a rock.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
There's also a book you can get that lists all sorts of edible plants in the eastern part of this continent.

I was thinking of using it and my wits to survive...

Alita

TRIBE Member
You can get pretty good dehydrated meals at MEC which can serve 2+ people. Other camping stores probably carry similar stuff. Instant oatmeal os a good idea too. Stay away from cans. Bring snacks like trail mix and bar type things. Best to keep the big meals for morning and night if you are portaging and whatnot.

Have fun, I'm so jealous!

erikwh

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by CiG
------
I'm going on a 5 day camping trip this weekend and I'm not sure what food I should bring... I'm looking for things that don't take up much room, are easily prepared, and wont go bad during the 5 days...

Any Suggestions... ?

Thanks...
------

I hate me too posts but

ME TOO

I was thinking about bringing alot of granola. Im brining lots of bacon. its good for eating on its own, plus the fat is great for cooking in afterwards. When I was out camping with the air cadets we would get these meals in a box, which had everything packaged in foil bags that you could either boil or just put near a fire. You could fit enough food for 3 days in a bag the size of a small purse. I dont know where you can get them though - mabye an army surplus store. fuck they were great - packaging was about 2% by weight and flexible/durable/combustable

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
i_343.jpg

mmm!

djfear

TRIBE Member
I hope you reserved a kevlar canoe. Carrying a 70lbs canoe while carrying a 60lbs hiking backpack for a 1km portage in Killarney park was brutal.

As for food, make sure you don't under-pack!

Breakfast: instant oatmeal cereals are your friends.

Lunch: dried fruit & trail mix, power bars, granola bars etc. Those oriental instant noodle packs are pretty good. Not Mr. Noodle but the slightly more expensive ones.

Dinner: Go to MEC and buy that freeze dried food, or better yet, there's another place to get freeze dried food around that area (I really don't remember because only my friend bought it). I would suggest getting that food since it's fairly good. Get a different pack for each night.

And last but definitely not least, bring a few fruits (i.e. apples & oranges) and eat them FIRST. Eating a nice dinner on the first night is always best because even though it's quite heavy, the weight will decrease as you eat through it. Getting 1-2 packages of sausages is also a really good idea, because they'll taste especially good over a fire. And visit the bulk barn for good measure.

You should be okay if you do that.