• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Camping gear?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What? People are actually sleeping in hammocks instead of tents now? I was searching different sites for tents and just discovered this hammock concept. Do they actually work? Or will you have a curved pretzel back the next morning?

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
Disagree. Recently made the switch to a Hennessey Hammock, used it on the Victoria Day weekend in Algonquin in lieu of my tent, or sleeping under a tarp. I have a Bivy/Thermarest/Sleeping Bag set up. The Thermarest provides insulation from your back freezing out. Best sleep I have ever had in the back country. Take a a little customizing to get the right amount of sag on the hammock, but I don't know that I will ever go back. I did switch out the stock fly that comes with it, and replaced it with a MEC scout silnylon tarp, rigged on an angle asymmetrically, and that provides a bit more protection should inclement weather roll in. Even with that, it packs much easier than a tent, and I picked up the snakeskin, which make packing up and deploying super quick, and protect the sleeping area from getting wet when setting up or tearing down in the rain. Going to get a set for my separate fly/tarp as well.

Seriously thinking about ditching my tent altogether. The drawbacks are: 1 - I felt a little more vulnerable, as in a tent or under a tarp, I slept with my axe beside my head in case of bear encounter. Can't really pull that off in a hammock. 2 - my friend is a stomach sleeper, and he had some difficulty adjusting to the hammock. But after a few trips, and some time spent at home adjusting his set up, he is all good. I am a side%2

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Hammocks seem to be made for solitary camping adventures. I can see how they would be lighter and easier to carry though.

But how do you get a mosquito out of them once you are inside and sealed in!?

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Hammocks seem to be made for solitary camping adventures. I can see how they would be lighter and easier to carry though.

But how do you get a mosquito out of them once you are inside and sealed in!?
they can only hold a drop of blood. if it's only one, just let it bite you and go back to sleep. The thing is, hundreds more will bite your back and your butt from outside, through the hammock material anyways.

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
Not through the thermarest and sleeping bag.

No bites at all once in your bed roll, and the one I use has bug netting along the top, hung off the ridge line.

And there is a side entry zipper, so you could just let it out if you wanted to.