• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Camping: Are those pop-up tents any good?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I just dug my old dome tent out of the basement. It is a 7 person Tera-Gear tent I bought at Loblaws for a WEMF many years ago. If I remember correctly, it came in 1 bag, but now it seems to be spread out over 2 bags, probably because I couldn't fit it back into the one bag when I packed it up. If I recall, it wasn't that hard to set up in daylight.

Anyway, I have to set the tent up in the dark tonight, something I am not really looking forward to doing. It seems tent technology has advanced to the point of pop up tents now and I am wondering if those are any good.... Are pop-up camping tents any good?

It would seem like the ideal tent to have if you arrive at an unseen space in the middle of the night. Or if it starts to rain hard and you have to get your tent up in a hurry...

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
My friends dad got this one last weekend when we went camping and it did work very good.

I'd personally buy one after seeing it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
My friends dad got this one last weekend when we went camping and it did work very good.

We have a 10 man Coleman tent and its awesome.

We were at Six Mile for the long weekend and saw some campers with the tent in the video. Looks pretty slick for set up and take down. You don't have to remove any poles!

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Great if you're sleeping a half-dozen, but why buy such a large tent for one (or two) people? Aside from portability, smaller tent = better heat conservation when you're sleeping at night. Unless you're only camping when it's warm out...

sk8

TRIBE Member
These would be easy for set up but the issue I would think would be that you can't replace parts - like a bent pole or elastic, which are common tent issues. Like the pole elastic was shot in our older tent and we just replaced that - if it's all together repair is a lot harder or not doable.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
Great if you're sleeping a half-dozen, but why buy such a large tent for one (or two) people? Aside from portability, smaller tent = better heat conservation when you're sleeping at night. Unless you're only camping when it's warm out...
they do have other sizes - the one in the videos is an 8 person.

orchid

TRIBE Member

my bf has this tent...best tent ever. we've done two festivals with it, and it's really spacious, with lots of head room. super easy to put up, and take down. i have kinda been caught up in the idea that mainstream brands suck (let's call this the MEC effect), but this Coleman tent definitely rocks. go for it.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to try and refold my tent and get it in its bag. Wish me luck.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
IF you're camping out of the back of your car/truck and you're not looking to get much use out of it - they're great.

But they're cheap, heavy and won't last long