1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Camera/Photog Buffs, help needed

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by ian, May 13, 2010.

1. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I have a friend that wants a used camera (digital SLR) that is good for taking pictures of punk rock shows etc. for use in print media. Any tips? Looking for specific model suggestions and rational. She doesn't want to pay too much. . . well under $800 is her budget./ She doesn't mind used/older models. . . .

2. thom100

thom100 TRIBE Member

The kind of camera is fairly irrelevant, tell her to spend her money on a nice fast lens( at least f2.8). You can have the nicest camera in the world but if you aint got good glass in front of it, it can't do its job.

3. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Thanks Thom!

4. ian

ian TRIBE Member

What about flash? Any advice there?

5. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

Nikon D-60 is probably her best bet. You can get them relatively cheap on eBay nowadays. Although there's quite a few bids.

drawback, it's a nice camera, and therefore desirable to thieves. She might have some creepers eyeballing her at a punk event

6. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

other suggestion. If she doesn't mind going analog retro, one can easily score a film-based Nikon F-60/ F-65 at a pawnshop for around 100$. May make her feel like a technoretrograde, except for the fact that they take great pictures, especially in B&W.

7. AgentSanchez

AgentSanchez TRIBE Promoter

Check these...

SONY A100

Sony α200 with kit lens, grip and extra

8. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

If the destination is print, photo editors are very particular about quality. Big clean files shot with nice glass. It gives them the latitude they need to shape the files for pre-press better. Those kinds of lenses are very expensive, however you can rent them if you have to.

If it is for a photocopied punk zine, this is not so important.

9. ian

ian TRIBE Member

It's for a proper magazine and she also is starting to shoot for Metro etc.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Any advice about the type of flash?

10. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

Agreed. But if the body is a cheapy and has noise issues at higher ISO, I'm thinking something faster than 2.8 would be required (which would allow her to shoot at cleaner ISO). Maybe look for one of those affordable 50mm 1.8 lenses.

11. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

If he is getting professional gigs why is he asking you for camera advice?

12. thom100

thom100 TRIBE Member

Typically you are unable to use flash during gigs. With the limited budget your friend has you'll be luck y to even be able to grab an old manual one. But if she does find extra pennies, Nikon has a far better TTL(through the lens/camera does all the thinking for you) metering system. TTL is very helpful for the novice shooter.

Noise issues are very much a brand thing, canon was a head of the pack for some time. You could grab an old 10d for around $200-300 and while you'll get a smallish file(still typically good for print) your more that safe to shoot at 1600 without problems. I would shy away ever shooting a show at 1.8, you'll have only about 7-12cm of focus to play with, any movement and your toast.

13. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Yeah I love shooting at 1.8 but don't see it as possible in a concert setting unless it's a shoegazer band.

14. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Ah metro, well in that case, anything will do.

Seriously though, if he is shooting stage concert type stuff, Thom would be able to address that better than me, but I suspect a zoom in the 70-200 range would work ok. You won't get one of those for 800 bucks tho, although Nikon does make a very sharp 80-200mm 2.8 D lens that you can get on ebay or craigslist from time to time for about 800 bucks or less. It is extremely sharp and creates beautiful backgrounds when shot wide open. See:

[​IMG]

For wading into the thick of crowds and mosh pits like I do, or if you can get really close (really, really, really close to your punk band) ultrawides are the way to go (12,14,18,20). Nikon makes a fine 20mm fixed that is worth every cent. The Nikon 20mm 2.8 AF-D it is called. I use lenses that are a little wider than that, but the 20 is great value for a limited budget.

This is an ultrawide zoom at about 18mm:

[​IMG]

15. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Not that I'm trying to shit disturb, but she's going to be shooting punk rock shows, for a magazine, and have her shots be in Metro? And she doesn't own, or know anything about camera's? Film, digital, or SLR's?

She's doing this for free, right? Cause there's, I don't know, a million photographers that know this stuff that are dying for work.

ps, why does everyone think its a dude?

16. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

yeah exactly.

17. thom100

thom100 TRIBE Member

18. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

They presume it's a dude, because clearly she is doing this for free beer

19. thom100

thom100 TRIBE Member

Concert photography really for the most part stopped being a paying gig when digital fully took over. The market just got over saturated, and new digital equipment took some of the technical skill out of the equation.

There are still a few shooters out there making some money at it, but they are few and far between.

20. ian

ian TRIBE Member

What's the point of this question? Grumpy on a Friday are 'ya?

21. ian

ian TRIBE Member

It's a woman, she has some connections... it's free for now. . . she's seeing where it goes. I think I hit a nerve there folks, sorry!

22. octo

octo TRIBE Member

i know someone who covers punk/heavy metal/indie bands for her own interest/blog but also occaisonally gets it into a free daily where she works. she also needs a new camera. i wonder if it's the same person.

23. ian

ian TRIBE Member

You never know. This woman is married and rides a motorcycle.

24. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Thanks again everyone. Great advice here. She will be pleased.

25. octo

octo TRIBE Member

not the one. plus i just realized my friend works for 24hrs

that means there's two chicks currently out there covering punk shows with crappy cameras but great aspirations!

i suggested to my friend that she might want a camera that shoots video so that she can post clips along with her online reviews.