• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Camera drones

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I'm really on the fence about whether I should jump in and buy one. We're moving to Tanzania and it would be great to have one for many reasons, except drones are actually outlawed in national parks due to concerns that poachers might use them (because making a law is going to stop them).

Does anyone own a drone? My biggest concern is if I do something to damage it and there's no way to repair it. Or I've taken it out dolphin watching and it tanks into the ocean or something. Are they easy to operate? Do you have any preferred model?

Stop Bill C-10

acheron

TRIBE Member
Tanzania bans them also because they're fucking annoying to the animals and other people in the parks. (source: I went there on a safari last year and asked about drones specifically during a conversation with park rangers)

The major problem with drones is of course their fragility. When buying a drone, do some research with other users to discover what breaks or breaks down most easily and stock up on some replacement parts.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
you want the DJI phantom, there are a few variations to choose from. the most recent model has 4k camera.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Some guy was flying one outside my mom's bar a few weeks ago and I was super impressed. He said he paid about 2K for it and from what I saw/heard, it is well worth it. He put on a 7"/8" tablet on the controller which had absolutely amazing quality/performance (resolution/FPS/stabalization). The damn drone flew like a hummingbird and was able to make the sharpest changes in direction and then it would just hover completely (I mean completely) still.

I saw him fly to the top of a 20 floor apartment in seconds and then he flew it 2Km down the street. Incredible range for sure.

I was going to buy one for $100... now I know I think I'm going to save a bit longer...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
any idea which one he was using?

dji-phantom-vision-2-plus-004.jpg

did it look like this?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
man is that DJI Phantom, the new one? its killer, was watching some vids, i wish it was water proof, otherwise its pretty fucking perfect!

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
For some reason I remember asking him if it was one of the Phantoms because I know that brand like everyone else does. I don't remember him saying it was but it looked very close to one to me.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders