• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Calling all Runners

shanekingsley

TRIBE Member
Signed up for the Chilly 1/2, Around the Bay 30k and might sign up for Mississauga in May as well.

I have been running on my Asics Gel 1150's for a few years. I would guess that I have run about 2000km in them. It's about time for a new pair of shoes and I can't seem to find the same ones in my size (10.5, 4E width). I run mostly pavement with some treadmill or light trail.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a comparable shoe to the Asics Gel 1150?
Thanks!

HC_P

TRIBE Member
Signed up for the Chilly 1/2, Around the Bay 30k and might sign up for Mississauga in May as well.

I have been running on my Asics Gel 1150's for a few years. I would guess that I have run about 2000km in them. It's about time for a new pair of shoes and I can't seem to find the same ones in my size (10.5, 4E width). I run mostly pavement with some treadmill or light trail.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a comparable shoe to the Asics Gel 1150?
Thanks!
I don't have a specific model in mind, but I think most brands make comparable shoes in terms of stability and cushioning. The big difference will come down to fit (e.g., toe box, heel cup, width), so definitely try on a few. Having said that, you're likely to have the most luck with New Balance if you need a 4D width. I'm sure other brands are doing it as well, but New Balance probably has the most options in terms of widths across their entire line of shoes.

Good luck, and have fun at those races - that's a heavy schedule for early in the season!

Ciao,
Albert.

shanekingsley

TRIBE Member
Thanks.

I did this same schedule last year and it was nice - each event just gets worked into my Sunday long runs for an ongoing training program. I don't really like running when it's -20 outside right now though.

I have worn a few pairs of New Balance's in the past and liked them for racquet sports, but not for running. Maybe I'll go to the local store and check them out again. I emailed Asics and they replied back that the GT1000 is the current model that is similar to the one I used to have. They look comfy.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
I don't have a specific model in mind, but I think most brands make comparable shoes in terms of stability and cushioning. The big difference will come down to fit (e.g., toe box, heel cup, width), so definitely try on a few. Having said that, you're likely to have the most luck with New Balance if you need a 4D width. I'm sure other brands are doing it as well, but New Balance probably has the most options in terms of widths across their entire line of shoes.

Good luck, and have fun at those races - that's a heavy schedule for early in the season!

Ciao,
Albert.
i wear a 13EE, which severely limits my footwear choices. find NB to be the biggest toe box for sure, and the saucony kinvara are good for me as well.

i do the chilly 1/2 and around the bay every year, also. although weeks like this make it hard to get the km's in.
c.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Longshot, but does anyone know where in town I might score a pair of the older Saucony Kinvara, either the 2 or 3 model? Toronto Premium Outlets up in Halton Hills has the 3 in my size, but I don't have a vehicle and it's a bit of a trek.

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
Which store is it at? Do they have another store closer they can ship to?(You've probably already thought of this but just in case)

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
It the actual Saucony outlet store - there aren't any other Saucony stores in Toronto for them to ship to.

Looks like I may be splitting gas with a car-owning friend who's interested in going up. I don't have $130 for the new 5 model, but $70 for a pair of the 3 will do just fine.

The pair I'm replacing are the original version, and considering the initial reviews that expressed concern about durability, they've held up remarkably well. If I had to guess, I'd say I've probably put over 800 km on them, a lot of that on non-paved surface.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Caught a ride up with my friend today and nabbed a pair of the Kinvara 3. For those looking, they still have that version in a few colours, as well as several of the 4. Just for shits and giggles, I tried on the latter as well as a pair of the 0mm drop Virrata. Aside from the flimsiness of the topsole on the 4 that's mentioned in most reviews, the midsole also feels more narrow. While a comfortable fit, the Virrata felt ungainly - they seemed to accentuate my pronation - sure they'd be aces for someone with a relatively level stance.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
Anybody in here have any advice on electrolyte/salt tabs? i did a race in Vermont this weekend, as suffered from some pretty bad cramps in my quads, calves and toes (the worst) for most of the race. i was taking gels and cliff shots with electrolytes in them, but obviously need to up my intake during races.

c.

SJN

TRIBE Member
I use Nuun tabs in my post-run drinks when I think its warranted. They seem to do the trick.

I rarely fuel or drink during a run, unless its longer than 90 mins....and then at most it might be one gel or a couple of sips of water. Maybe I'm fortunate, but I don't seem to need/want it.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
I use Nuun tabs in my post-run drinks when I think its warranted. They seem to do the trick.

I rarely fuel or drink during a run, unless its longer than 90 mins....and then at most it might be one gel or a couple of sips of water. Maybe I'm fortunate, but I don't seem to need/want it.
I usually am ok as well, I'm hoping this event is a bit of an random occurrence (i did a 30 mile obstacle race at Killington Ski Resort this weekend). I noticed a lot of people using mustard packets on course to supplement sodium into their bodies.

c.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
"Well unless you count running out on your kids, which is the only acceptable form of cardio. My dad taught me that. Thanks Pops." - BroScience