• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cactus Pears

zoo

TRIBE Member
Today at Fortinos I felt goofy and bought a bunch of 'fun' fruits. One of those fruits was a Cactus Pear. It felt cool and had interesting spiky things that were cut off.

As soon as I got home I cut it open and tried it. It was red like a dark wine, and tasted like bubblegum, and was full of seeds. Satisfied with my tasty purchase I went to my computer to find out what I could do with a Cactus Pear, what dish it was best served in, or what recipe it could be used to cook with.

Every recipe said "cut wearing rubber gloves" and I thought pish-posh, I did it barehanded!

Now I have a gazillon little cactus spikes on my hands, all over my palms and fingers. The itch so bad, are too small to remove with even tweezers, and most of them are fully embedded in my skin.

Don't buy Cactus Pear unless you know what you're dong.

Cactus_pear_Higos1.jpg

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
that is a very exotic fruit.

interesting story.

you can put chipotles and put them in anything you want... granted that you don't put too much into your food and make it too spicy.

they are like sundried tomatos (kind of) but spicy.

Last edited:

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
these are called sabras in Israel.
thats also what people call Israelis, similarly to the way people call New Zealanders Kiwis.
its because they're prickly on the outside and sweet on the inside. its very true!

anyway, i have also made the mistake of handling a sabra barehanded and lived in sheer agony until the next day.
the fucked up part is that those spikes are basically transparent, so its almost like getting microscopic glass shards embedded all over your palm and finger tips. truly painful.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
microscopic glass shards embedded all over your palm and finger tips. truly painful.

yep.

they don't hurt, but they itch and sting ...

everytime my hand rubs against something else i feel a new one ...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: Re: Cactus Pears

Originally posted by chipotle
that is a very exotic fruit.

interesting story.

you can buy chipotles and put them in anything you want... granted that you don't put too much into your food and make it too spicy.

they are like sundried tomatos (kind of) but spicy.

it should say buy chipotles... geez.

I am off.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
yep.

they don't hurt, but they itch and sting ...

everytime my hand rubs against something else i feel a new one ...

yeah. its only when you touch something with your hands, that object applies pressure on the little fuckers, and it stings like crazy.
but if you dont touch anything, it doesnt hurt.

so wait...doesnt it hurt to type right now?

zoo

TRIBE Member
ahhhhhhhhhhh

i'm in a whole new world of pain

they are fully inside my fingers now ...

my thumbs are hurrrting ... :( :mad: :(

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
The only solution is to put a glass thermometer up your urethra, and smash it with a hammer. You won't feel the little pains in your hands anymore.

Lainey

TRIBE Member
*shudder*

I did the same thing once, it's like having 50 invisible slivers in your palm. Cactus pears are evil.

zoo

TRIBE Member
... it's about 10 hours later

i only have a few noticeable ones left in my fingers, maybe 5-10 at the most

it's not so bad, for the first few hours it's like having a whole buch of paper cuts / slivers all over your fingers / palms

but 10 hours later and most of them are either gone or i'm simply used to it now ...

cactus pears are still evil

quantumize

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
AHHHHHHHHHHHH MY FINGERSSS

WHEN WILL THE PAIN GO AWAY???????????// :( :( :( :( :( :(

it's going to suck for a day..i would reccomment rubbing yout hands with a garlic clove, its supposed to open up the pores and then when u submerge your hands in warm water teh buoyant little slivers should float out

i've tried this thought and it still hurts

[italiand have these all the time and as a kid i got into them and it hurt for 2 days]

Gunark

TRIBE Member
About 5 years ago, on a trip to the Canaries, we were out on some long ass-hike into the mountains in a particularly desert-like area

The whole thing was uphill, in blazing sun. Dumbasses that we were, we took very little water and no fruit juice of any sort. About 6 hours in, the dehydration/low-glucose headache kicks in :|

Enter, the cactus pear. They grow everywhere over there. Yes, our hands and parts of our lips were covered in prickly spikes, but

dos hermanos 02.jpg

It was epic!

depraved

TRIBE Member
Think b4 harvesting

When driving in Greece, I pulled over to pick some prickly pears. I learned the hard way that the way you're supposed to pick them is with using an oil soaked cloth. The little needles get airborne & stick to any exposed flesh if you try to pick them using just your hands. In the car, the needles managed to stick to my face -- lips, eyelids, etc. Fun times! Until then, I'd wondered why they were called pickly pears; in the grocery strore, there wasn't anything particulalrly prickly about them.