• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

C O N S O L E M A D N E S S ! ! !

KiFe

TRIBE Member
If for anyone out there who has a dvd player, a vcr, digital cable box and +2 consoles....

how the hell do you switch these things up?

I've found the ultimate solution.. but it aint cheap.

The Pelican System Selector Pro has EVERYTHING you could need.
http://www.consoleaccessories.com/unv004.asp?img=b#largeimg

Now this ain't your grandma's console switcher...

this thing has more inputs than most people could really want... but for the real audiophile in you, it also has 3 Fibreoptic inputs for audio, 8hdtv component inputs, and 8 AV/SVHS .. not to mention ethernet support AND MORE.

yeah so altho this may be the ULTIMATE video game geek thread... and many of you have already clicked your back buttons in disgust... but to those who remain, i ask you if anyone has anything this capable, where they bought it, how much it cost and all other pertinent information.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swenard
I use my receiver.

Isn't that what your supposed to use?
Most people's receivers do not have multiple HDTV inputs. Maybe 2 or 3 at most for some of the better ones, but not 8.

My only concern is the quality of the unit. $100 seems a bit on the cheap side compared to the other solutions I have seen.

Cheers ... Ian :)

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Soundstream
.....compared to the other solutions I have seen.

WHAT OTHER SOLUTIONS have you seen ian?

that's what this thread is all about... you can't leave a teaser like that..

SPILL DAMMIT!

are there better options? (and no, MORE EXPENSIVE doesn't = better)

what products? what stores? what costs?

thanks dood.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
I can't remember. I did my research a long time ago. And it was only for HDTV input/output convertors. I think the cheapest I saw was $500 US up to several thousands. I was looking at a solution where video quality would not be degraded by adding the convertor.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
I can't remember. I did my research a long time ago. And it was only for HDTV input/output convertors. I think the cheapest I saw was $500 US up to several thousands. I was looking at a solution where video quality would not be degraded by adding the convertor.

haha... i'm sure you ended up with a linear editing suite by the time you were done. :)

i think this pelican device should provide what i need.. i just hope i can find a canadian retailer for the same product.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
Wouldn't you need just a simple RCA switch box?

Seems like the kind of device you could just pick up at Radio Crap or something.
Yes, if you don't have an HDTV, then that solution would be cheaper.

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
Wouldn't you need just a simple RCA switch box?

Seems like the kind of device you could just pick up at Radio Crap or something.
those usually don't have s-video.

try Electronic Boutique, or whatever game store is closest to you. i remember seeing one for $30 and i think it had s-video along with RCA and room for about 5 inputs.

wallymart had a philips one, and i think it was about $50. here

Last edited:

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by labRat
those usually don't have s-video.

try Electronic Boutique, or whatever game store is closest to you. i remember seeing one for $30 and i think it had s-video along with RCA and room for about 5 inputs.

wallymart had a philips one, and i think it was about $50.
ayup.. i considered those also.. but i would prefer to have one that does digital audio also.

My stereo tuner isnt exactly TOP notch.. so it only has one component in and one fibreoptic in... since i want to be able to enjoy all my consoles in magnificent 5.1 surround, i need something that will offer multiple digital audio INs.

rca jacks are stricktly stereo i believe.

labRat

TRIBE Member
oh. getting a switcher with optical connectors in it will be expense. you may be better off just transmitting the bits yourself.

best bet would probably be a proper stereo shop.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mr tall
I use the video 1 through video 5 buttons on the remote control, came with the tv.
must be nice to have that many INs on your tv.

i've only 2 RCA's and one svhs and one coax.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by labRat
oh. getting a switcher with optical connectors in it will be expense.
well the one i mentioned that the top of this thread has it all... at first i thought i was pretty steep $100US... but if a device that capable is such a rarity... then mabie it's worth it.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Hence my comment on what the quality of the output actually is.

I would just be surprised how something like a simple passthrough could affect the final output quality so much.

especially with things like fibreoptic sound... i mean how much could really degrate an optical signal?

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiFe
I would just be surprised how something like a simple passthrough could affect the final output quality so much.

especially with things like fibreoptic sound... i mean how much could really degrate an optical signal?
It is not so much the optical signal that will lose quality. It is the HD signal that is probably shitty.

Considering a half-decent HD cable is $100, getting a box with 8 half-decent connectors plus all the other stuff (S-Video, Optical, RCA, connectors) in one box for $135 is somewhat questionable as to the quality of the components used.

I am not saying the unnit is shitty, but I have my doubts as to buying one based on the price.

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiFe

the optical path should be fine, i'd be mostly concerned with the mechanical fitting as they are likely to be using cheaper connectors.

also, on any wired path with switches you have a large potential to increase noise which will affect performance. over time you may notice it as the path resistance increases.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
all good points to take into consideration.

well at least the device comes with a full metal casing, to prevent fallapart.

Custom molded handgrips would be nice too.

Man... where's a 'Carnivale' dealer when you need one?

knowing me, ill prolly still buy it tho...

i'm afraid that an HDTV is still a couple months off, so for the interm.. this may just be my ticket.

especially if all my other switcher options go beyond a thousand bucks. I'd rather put that money into said tv budget.