• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

*BYOW in restaurants*

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
Restaurant Patrons Can Now Bring Their Own Wine

As of January 28th, residents of Ontario can bring their own bottle of wine to enjoy at a restaurant and take home unfinished bottles.

"We are giving consumers and restaurants exciting new choices in Ontario," said Consumer and Business Services Minster Jim Watson. "The people of Ontario will now have the option to bring their own bottle of wine and take home unfinished bottles at establishments that choose to offer these services."

Reforms and new regulations under Ontario's Liquor License Act now allow patrons to bring commercially made and unopened bottles of wine with them or remove an unfinished bottle that they either brought with them or ordered as part of their meal. Family and fine dining restaurants, cafes, hotel / motel restaurants and banquet rooms are some of the facilities that are eligible to participate in the program.

But don't expect your favourite local restaurant will automatically allow you to bring a bottle of wine with you during your next visit. Participation by a restaurant in the program is voluntary. Additionally, establishments are allowed to determine and charge a corkage fee for providing the 'Bring Your Own Wine' and 'Take Home the Rest' services.

If you are interested in bringing a bottle of wine with you or taking home an unfinished bottle next time you dine out, the Ministry of Consumer and Business Services has the following tips for you:

- Call ahead and ask if the restaurant offers Bring Your Own Wine and/or Take Home The Rest
- Ask if there is a corkage fee and find out the cost
- Ask if there is a minimum food order with Bring Your Own Wine and whether there is a limit to the number of bottles you may bring or any other restrictions
- Make a reservation indicating you wish to Bring Your Own Wine
- Ensure you are aware of your responsibilities for the safe and legal transportation of wine to and from a restaurant

For more information on the 'Bring Your Own Wine' and 'Take Home the Rest' programs or other changes to the Liquor License Act, visit www.cbs.gov.on.ca.

Rocky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mariazmess
As of January 28th, residents of Ontario can bring their own bottle of wine to enjoy at a restaurant and take home unfinished bottles.
Would seem strange that they could bring their own bottles of wine and NOT be able to take home what they didn't finish.

...or maybe it is saying that they can take home unfinished bottles that they purchased from the restaurant?

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
now how many restos in toronto are actually participating in this right now?

one?

(at least as of the week it began, there was one, mammina's on wellesley)

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
although this could have saved me a lot of money when I went out for dinner last night, there's something I don't feel right about when it comes to going to a nice restaurant carrying a couple bottles of wine under the arm (especially the crap wine I drink).

although I do think its cool that if you dont finish the bottle you can take it home. thats pretty cool because its less pressure on the buyer to finish the bottle in the restaurant, and that way people wont be worried about getting their dollar value by forcing down a couple extra glasses of wine before getting in their cars.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: *BYOW in restaurants*

Originally posted by Rocky
Would seem strange that they could bring their own bottles of wine and NOT be able to take home what they didn't finish.
It's because the restaurants have to have a corking device to re-seal the bottles before the customers leave. Bars and restaurants are forbidden from letting their patrons take open drinks with them on the way out, and just jamming the cork back into the top of the bottle doesn't count (unfortunately :( ).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: *BYOW in restaurants*

Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
It's because the restaurants have to have a corking device to re-seal the bottles before the customers leave. Bars and restaurants are forbidden from letting their patrons take open drinks with them on the way out, and just jamming the cork back into the top of the bottle doesn't count (unfortunately :( ).
Re-seal? Like re-cork? I user a corker when I make my wine. A regular corkscrew would undo that mother.

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: *BYOW in restaurants*

Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
Re-seal? Like re-cork? I user a corker when I make my wine. A regular corkscrew would undo that mother.
i think he is trying to say that in order to take an open bottle of wine home with you (regardless of whether you brought it there or bought i from the restaurant) the cork has to be flush with the top of the bottle. And restaurants are allowed to charge a re-corkage fee for this service (this would be in addition to the inital corkage fee).

Sweet_e

futronic

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: *BYOW in restaurants*

Originally posted by sweet_e
i think he is trying to say that in order to take an open bottle of wine home with you (regardless of whether you brought it there or bought i from the restaurant) the cork has to be flush with the top of the bottle. And restaurants are allowed to charge a re-corkage fee for this service (this would be in addition to the inital corkage fee).

Sweet_e
Recorking wine does not have a fee attached to it.

-- Jay aka Fut

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
I think this thing will work best in either of the two following scenarios:

1. For someone who has an extensive private collection, containing bottles not typically available most restaurants, or bottles for which they have a preference with a certain meal and so on. In other words, if I wanted to "customize" a nice meal with a personally selected bottle of wine then I'd do it. Many people are very picky about their wines and some restaurants' selections may not do it for them. I like the fact that the option exists.

2. In a case where an reasonably expensive bottle of wine is worth the purchase at the liquor store but not necessarily at the restaurant. Ie, if I like a nice Barolo with my meal, I may pick it up for $60 or so from the LCBO and pay the $15 corking fee rather than paying $150 for the wine at the restaurant.

On the other hand, if it's about bringing in a $15-20 bottle, and paying the corkage fee on top, is it really worth it on a bottle that I can get at the restaurant for $40? Probably not.

Overall however, I like anything that puts the choice in my hand. I have always had a problem with the way alcohol is sold in this province and this is a nice step to reforming the process. Now if we can also extend last call to something less embarassing and allow people to purchase liquor without monopoly control, then we'll be laughing.

futronic

TRIBE Member
One website is Bring My Wine. There may be a couple more going up. This is by no means a comprehensive list. Actually, it's quite weak, but relies on people to submit the restos that support BYO.

If I learn of any more sites, I'll post them.

Note that the province will not be publishing lists of BYO friendly restos. Apparently the ministry of business and consumer affairs received over 1000 phone calls the first day alone asking for a list.

The AGCO may have to fork over a list of BYO restos under the freedom of information act, but I'm not sure.

-- Jay aka Fut

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by futronic
The AGCO may have to fork over a list of BYO restos under the freedom of information act, but I'm not sure.
Oddly enough, the fee for making an FOI application is much less than most corking fees. :)

TribeLurkerGrrl

TRIBE Member
Name: Susur

Corkage Fee: $60 per 750ml

Gimme a fuckin' break!

Thanks for the linkFutronic! Some of those corkage fees (anything more than $10 imo) are totally outrageous.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Yourmamas

TRIBE Member
I got to work with Susur in September. He was so god damn good. I wouldn't pay $60 bones though for the corking fee though.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TribeLurkerGrrl
Name: Susur

Corkage Fee: $60 per 750ml

Gimme a fuckin' break!

Thanks for the linkFutronic! Some of those corkage fees (anything more than $10 imo) are totally outrageous.
No problem at all. I agree that some of the fees are ridiculous, but I think they'll become a little more moderate with time.

-- Jay aka Fut