• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

buying stuff online, no credit card

skin deep

TRIBE Member
Is there any way to buy stuff online on sites that only accept cc's, if you don't have a cc. Like, say, deposit some money into some "fake" cc account from your paypal account, then use that money? I remember something like this being posted here before, but doing a search for "credit and card" brought up like 20 pages of results ...

skin deep

TRIBE Member
ev said:
getting a credit card would probably be less trouble.
Totally agree, but I have the willpower of a decapitated chimp and really wouldn't want to get myself into any *more* credit trouble ... but I have considered it as it would definitely make things like this easier ...

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
There are some cash cards that can be used like Visa/MC cards. Don't know what they're called or if they even issue them in Canada, but I know that they're used in the UK / EU a lot.

You could also find a friend with a CC and pay them back.

(I don't mean to sound like your dad or something, but if you're already in credit difficulty, maybe you should be paying off your debt instead of buying more - I'm one to talk, but just throwing that out there! If you do decide to get a CC, you can get a really low limit imposed and never accept increases. But again, if your credit history is poor, you may have problems getting a card. Oh, who am I kidding? They give a CC to a decapitated chimp these days ;))

skin deep

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I *could* pay off my debt faster, but I've got a plan to be debt free by the end of 2006, which still allows me to do some record shopping once in a while ...

=)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

bitchass

TRIBE Member
You can use Paypal without a credit card, can't you? They allow you to transfer money from a Canadian bank account to Paypal and will provide you with a free Mastercard - that is actually a debit card.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
just get a credit card with a $1000 limit and request in writting that the limit not be raised.

even if you max that shit, a grand is easy to pay off.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
theres them new ' prepaid ' credit cards...

yes, you can pay thru paypal without a credit card...bit of a fiasco getting set up, but once its done, youre good to go.

skin deep

TRIBE Member
ndrwrld said:
theres them new ' prepaid ' credit cards...

yes, you can pay thru paypal without a credit card...bit of a fiasco getting set up, but once its done, youre good to go.
Yeah, unfortunately juno doesn't accept paypal, need a cc ...

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
yeah...drop $500 on these new prepaid cc's here ( money mart...and NO...no fucked up fees )...
its essentially a Mastercard cc.
there ya go.
im doing this end of march.

randyval

TRIBE Member
you can always go with a prepaid credit card, you can buy them at money mart.
they are perfect for online shopping because you only put in what you spend, plus you still have the security that comes with a credit card.
i have a prepaid mastercard for my online shopping, i would never buy anything online with a real credit card.

edit: oops i didnt see ndwrld s post.
there is a $7 dollar a month fee though

randyval

TRIBE Member
there pretty cool, ive tested mine out already and it works everywhere they take mastercard, just swipe and sign :D
i even setup a paypal account with it.
good for renting cars and hotels too.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Have a prepaid Mastercard from Money Mart that I use mostly for online poker sites and booking for travel purposes. Does anyone know where I can get a legitimate prepaid Visa card???

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I have the MuchMusic Mastercard (Pre-Paid), not sure if they are still taking new accounts, but it works fine for me.

Cost $40 to set it up, each time you load money it costs $1.50. Not great, but it's about as risk free as you can get when shopping online, as long as its not from sketchy vendors.

stryker

TRIBE Member
ndrwrld said:
yeah...drop $500 on these new prepaid cc's here ( money mart...and NO...no fucked up fees )...
its essentially a Mastercard cc.
there ya go.
im doing this end of march.
I'd have another closer look at some of these pre-paid cards. I was looking into a bunch of them (Money Mart, MUCHMusic, etc). Some charge $5 per transaction, others have monthly fee's, some have load -up fees.

BMO doesn't do pre-paid cards.

TD does pre-paid VISA..they put the $500 into a GIC and hold it for 3 years or something,.....I have no idea what products the other banks offer.

stew

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
Most banks will allow you to have a fully secured credit card. Usually, they require 120% of your desired credit limit to be held as a security, kept in a GIC type investment.

Vote_4_Pedro

TRIBE Member
www.capitalone.ca

"Hands in my pocket...."

They do pre-paid Mastercards, and the theirs works is that you don't have to give them $750 to have a $750 limit, you can give them 10% of that ($75) and have a $750 limit... or $50 for $500 etc... 20% interest, and it's a real, revolving account...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
CanadaComputers registered themselves a s a Bill Payee so you can buy something online then go to your online banking and pay for your pourchase like you pay for your phone bill. Doesn't really help you with juno but kinda neat.

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
Hmmm, I might look into getting one of these, as I cancelled all of my old credit cards aside from my AMEX. However, a lot of places in Africa most likely won't take these and it's too soon before my departure to reapply and i'd really prefer an MC or VISA in case of an amergency situation.
How does the reloading work? Would I be able to transfer funds from my bank account directly on to it? Or alternatively transfer funds to a friend and get them to reload it?
Do they work just like a normal credit card (i.e. would they function in all geographic locales, not just in NA or Europe)

I guess I shouldn't have been so eager to cut up my Visa and MC ;)

Any experience anyone has with these (or advice on the best place to get one?) would be much appreciated.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
One of the above posters is thinking of check-cards (cheque cards?). They're an American thing. They require no PIN (and recently no signing for small purchases) but work through the usual credit card network but also debit directly & immediately to your cash account. You could use one of those (if you were American).

As has been mentioned, you could instead get a secured credit card, which just means you've locked some money aside with your bank to guarantee that you can pay off your credit card. The advantages of these are that you usually get a really low interest rate and, as an extension, you're forced to invest/save something. sorta.

-jM
A&D

quantumdj

TRIBE Member
I never use a credit card. If you just ask them, they will probably be game for waiting for the money in the mail. They're making money either way. If they are too good for that, then you probably don't want to be dealing with them.