• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Buying and storing spices

octo

TRIBE Member
i bought one of those magnetic spice racks. similar to this

but found the spices to get fucked up by the vapours and heat coming from the stove. my fridge is right beside my stove.

so i just keep them in the bags and containers that they came in.

i'm going to need to put them all in a plastic container so i just take one big box out and instead of fishing around the cupboard for what i need.

but i just came across this on the internet. i like.

EVERYTHING but the... Spice Kit 24 ORGANIC Spices. by GneissSpice

octo

TRIBE Member
i bought individual spice jars for spices from bulk barn. and also to store homemade spice mixtures and rubs.

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
- Loblaws is $$. The spice store in Kensington is great and most Bulk Barns carry reasonably good stuff too
- If possible, buy in the whole form and grind it yourself. Will taste much fresher and whole spices last longer than the pre-ground versions
- Store in airtight glass jars in a dark place
- You can store spices for much longer than dried herbs
- Get creative & use 'em up before they spoil!

Happy veggie chilli making.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
My roommate bought the magnetic ones, too.

At $5 a pop, I'm too cheap to buy 'em. Also, while cleaning, I noticed the tins were grimy and gave them a good rub down with a wet dishcloth. Then I noticed the open air vents, perfect for allowing liquid in.

Whoops.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't use your spices quickly they go flat and lose their taste. My Mom (RIP) used to cook a lot and used spices frequently but still kept them in the fridge for longevity. I keep some of my rarer spices in the freezer.

I think a lot of times light is the culprit in the decay of spices. Those clear topped containers and clear glass bottles may look great, but I think darker containers stored in a cool place would make spices last longer.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Yes, in the dark in an airtight container. You can buy 12 mason jars with lids for under 10 bucks and they are about 6 billion times better than the piddly "spice" jars you can buy.

Those pics above are decoratin spices, not cookin spices!

And the shop in kensington is awesome. Don't take your spice selection in Toronto for granted! Out here I get parsley and italian seasoning! Sometimes I can get molson canadian steak spice in the fancier stores.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
After much reading, I have become suspicious of any place that offers powdered spices without packaging dates. That's everywhere. I'm starting to think of the Northern Hemisphere as a stale place with dead food.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Cheap but good quality spices: little India. And even that brand Suraj in the golden yellow packaging seems to be at most supermarkets, and now includes just about every type of spice not just ones common to South East Asia... which was I think was mostly the case for a while.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
Can't say I'm feeling the Suraj garam masala. Too much cinnamon. It thuds when it hits the tongue. I think I need to start making my own.

I need a good spice storage solution, too. I currently have a narrow, but deep shelf in one of my kitchen cupboards dedicated to them. I call it the spice tunnel. And it doesn't seem to matter how I organize it, I have to unpack the whole damn cupboard any time I'm looking for ingredients.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
After much reading, I have become suspicious of any place that offers powdered spices without packaging dates. That's everywhere. I'm starting to think of the Northern Hemisphere as a stale place with dead food.
How many bazaars and markets in the near-to-far east offer best before dates on their products?

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
How many bazaars and markets in the near-to-far east offer best before dates on their products?
Found a store here that uses packaging dates, The Spice Trader on Queen. All the spices come with reusable tins which make the expense worth it. I figure that over time I'll figure out what I can cheap out on / can't.

I splurged and also bought this olive oil that they were promoting. The aftertaste is "fresh cut mowed lawn". Odd but interesting.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
So my internet surfing travels took me from "how to store cayenne powder" to "LA Beast Eats a Cactus". His agony is quite entertaining. I suggest forwarding to 2:00:

[YOUTUBE]d4KPWOUkbw8[/YOUTUBE]

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I keep spice in small jars. There are about twenty in my kitchen. The volume is not great, in fact I tend to go through red pepper more than I should. But anyway, it was set up by my mom.

The important point, more than having spice on hand, is knowing when and how to cook them. I do not claim to be an expert in this field, though I qualify as "mid range".

My general complaint is that there are some spices, like cilantro and basil, that have to be used fresh. So I keep a small garden outside for those but, what do you do in winter? Dried basil is passable but dried cilantro? I wouldn't even entertain the idea for my guests.

-jM
A&D