• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Buying a suit

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
if you needed a suit for job inteview, and you were a boy, where would you buy one.
would you just rent one?
or would you actually buy one?
what kind of suit would you buy if you were a tall skinny guy

if you were a guy where would you buy shoes to go with your suit?

dig this

TRIBE Member
Read the thread posted above... I was looking for a suit a few month's ago and went through Deep's contact. I couldn't recommend him enough. I ended up buying two suits and a few of my friends are currently waiting for their suits to arrive. Prices are great, the service is amazing (will come to your home!) and the fit is tailored. I wouldn't consider even going to a store for a suit anymore.

- dig "tall & skinny" this

octo

TRIBE Member
Navy blue suit

Where? Depends on budget.

Shoes? I don't know. I need new brown and black dress shoes and I can't find any. Not that I've looked very hard. Hit most shoes in yorkdale last week. That's about it.

Honestly a few weeks ago I was desperate for new black shoes to go with my suit. My brother was with me and he's the one who put it in my head that I needed new shoes cause mine had seen better days.

I had 30 min to get shoes. He had nice Hugo boss shoes. I went to walmart! I bought shoes for $25!! No one could tell his shoes cost $300 more hahah.

Anyway, I'm willing to pay $3-400 for shoes but it's not a purchase I'm going to rush.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Navy or grey suit will do just fine. Tall and skinny, you can go to the Bay, H&M, Zara or really any men's store virtually has suits. Just tell him to walk through a Winners or the mall. You'll find at least 10 stores with suits.

As for shoes, just get black or brown laceups. No fuss, classic, professional.

If he wants to invest, yes, go into the suit thread and look at custom or made to measure.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
2 button, single breasted, dark colour, as slim fitting as possible if he isn't fat, fabric between the shoulders should neither be stretched nor loose, must be wool - nothing else will do - does not need to be super 150, generally stay away from 'designer' brands like CK or kenneth cole because you pay for the name and lack for construction.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Some great suit brands: Strellson, Tiger of Sweden, Bar Ill, Isaiah, Brioni, Etro.

I HATE Armani and Canali. Old-timer suits.

I was looking at suits from H&M and they have select ones made in Italy.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Some great suit brands: Strellson, Tiger of Sweden, Bar Ill, Isaiah, Brioni, Etro.

I HATE Armani and Canali. Old-timer suits.

I was looking at suits from H&M and they have select ones made in Italy.
I love love love my Tiger of Sweden suits. Is it true they have a dedicated store in Toronto now?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Drool.

They fit so well. I think I even like it more than "custom" but I can't afford a $750 suit. Or really do I need one. Vintage all the way for me these days.

erika

TRIBE Member
Navy or grey suit will do just fine. Tall and skinny, you can go to the Bay, H&M, Zara or really any men's store virtually has suits. Just tell him to walk through a Winners or the mall. You'll find at least 10 stores with suits.

As for shoes, just get black or brown laceups. No fuss, classic, professional.

If he wants to invest, yes, go into the suit thread and look at custom or made to measure.
MoFo is right; he doesn't need to kill his budget. Zara has great reasonable picks.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Last suit I got, after much humming and hawing and asking Tribe for advice I went to Tom's in Kensington, I'm not super happy with the suit, despite all the bargain promoting I paid like $400 for a standard DKNY grey suit with some minor alterations, alterations that took 3 weeks and they fucked up twice.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
i think suitsupply was considering opening a location in Toronto. Not sure what the status of that is, but if it opens, that will be you're one stop shop for decent suits.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
try got style, they have mid-range stuff for tall/skinny

also. Dirty Girl, where were you between 2-4am last Sunday morning ?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Last suit I got, after much humming and hawing and asking Tribe for advice I went to Tom's in Kensington, I'm not super happy with the suit, despite all the bargain promoting I paid like $400 for a standard DKNY grey suit with some minor alterations, alterations that took 3 weeks and they fucked up twice.
I'll have to say that I have never badmouthed Tom's because I have never really recommended them. I chose in the past to just not mention them instead. They are pretty... Terrible. They're outdated, they don't really know how to work with customers and they try to chince on the fabrics. When you get a custom suit done, they try to upsell you but the fabrics are not great. I've gone with tons of people there now and have said nothing but try to be helpful. But yeah, unless you know what you're doing, that is not a great place to invest in a suit. Their suits also fall apart with multiple usage so it's not a great place for a work suit. A shitty groomsmen suit to be worn once and never again? Yeah, sure.

Alterations should take 2 to 3 days tops. The Bay can do it overnight if you're just nice to them. I would not recommend Tom's at all. You heard it here first folks! haha

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
try got style, they have mid-range stuff for tall/skinny

also. Dirty Girl, where were you between 2-4am last Sunday morning ?
on a sunday-monday? I can assure you I was sleeping.
on a saturday-sunday- I am not 200 pounds yet, it wasnt me. i work alone, not in a group.

octo

TRIBE Member
i'm going to give Tom's place a thumbs down too. for the exact reasons that mofo gave.

i got a black groom's man suit there. alterations took way too long.

the groom got his suit made to measure there and it started coming apart at the seams after half a dozen uses.

mine's in good shape still and the jacket fits perfectly, but i've only worn it maybe 5 times. and 2 of those were funerals. so it's not like i was working or partying in it.

anyway, DG asked about renting a suit. i think we can assume that her man is not looking to spend too much money. so, Moore's, Tip Top, The Bay or Sears. As long as they include alterations it's fine. put extra money towards a well fitting shirt and a nice tie.

i found a store with nice italian made shoes yesterday! it was closed but i'm going to go back sometime this week.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
DG asked about renting a suit. i think we can assume that her man is not looking to spend too much money.
:O:mad:

actually noone needs help getting a suit and started this thread cause I was drunk.
so all your posts were for nothing.:p

octo

TRIBE Member
this guy's new. probably a narc.

every guy needs a navy suit. no one needs a black suit unless they're forced to get one as a groomsman.