• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Buying a Skateboard

G-Monkey

TRIBE Member
I used to skate when i was younger years back,, i remember complete setups being around 150 bucks

I wanted to buy a board just to fool around with for memories sake, but have no idea whats out there

anybody got any input on pricing/brands would be great
 
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

samsara

New Member
I got back into it last year after about a 7 year hiatus, but didn't want to spend the cash on a $200 pro complete so I went to shred central and picked up a shop complete (shop graphics) with any trucks and wheels, and I think it ran about $115 after tax. Great Deck, lotsa snap.

It's not like riding a bike...It took 2 seasons to land 360 flips again!
 

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
Habitat decks have a nice shape and 8 or 9 ply for most models.
I swear by them, but that's also because they make sweet mini decks.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Hogtown are great, got my first deck there and will always go back, they're right at king and spadina...
 

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
I still have my Tony Hawk Mini with boneitte, with gull wing trucks!

If your out in Scarborough, try Perception Skates, my buddy runs the shop.
 

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
Check out this thread from a few weeks back.

I bought a complete (for old time's sake as well) about a month or two ago. I ended up getting a Toy Machine, cause it was the widest deck in the shop (8 1/4"). I'm too oldschool to be riding those super narrow current day decks. Anyways if you're not concerned with graphics and such, you can totally get a good bargain on a blank. Pretty much all shops carry them.

Oh, and if you're planning on putting some old trucks on the deck, don't bother! I never realized new-school boards had a smaller hole pattern for trucks! D'oh!
 

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Blue Meanies said:
buy an element deck... still the best!
I am quite pleased with my element board I got last year, so I second this.
I bought it on Ebay (brand new) and got a free set of generic wheels and still paid a lot less than I wouldve for just the deck anywhere I found in Canada. so I recommend Ebay if you're willing to wait for the pieces to come in instead of just buying a board and going out for a ride.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

G-Monkey

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -] said:
I am quite pleased with my element board I got last year, so I second this.
I bought it on Ebay (brand new) and got a free set of generic wheels and still paid a lot less than I wouldve for just the deck anywhere I found in Canada. so I recommend Ebay if you're willing to wait for the pieces to come in instead of just buying a board and going out for a ride.


yea i seen a lot of element completes on EBAY, im just not sure about the trucks/wheels they come with
they are going for around 55 buy now price which just seeems so cheap compared to what i used to spend whcih is what led me to posting this post
 

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
G-Monkey said:
yea i seen a lot of element completes on EBAY, im just not sure about the trucks/wheels they come with
they are going for around 55 buy now price which just seeems so cheap compared to what i used to spend whcih is what led me to posting this post
well if the price is right then you can always still buy new trucks.
 

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
$200 for a complete is still good considering that in 1988 they were asking that much for a complete setup...

Team Niks....
 

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
cosmosuave said:
$200 for a complete is still good considering that in 1988 they were asking that much for a complete setup...

Team Niks....

:p hehehe yeah, but back then that included a set of rails, nose guard, tail guard and a cell block riser pad. :D
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
SmoothOperator said:
:p hehehe yeah, but back then that included a set of rails, nose guard, tail guard and a cell block riser pad. :D

I always liked the rails... You could pretty much slide on anything...
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Funzo

TRIBE Member
It's best to just get a blank when you're getting back into it. They're dirt cheap and that way if you buy one that's got too much concave, or the tail doesn't feel right, you aren't throwing away a bunch of loot when you want a different set up.

I always liked lighter weight trucks, and bigger sized wheels. Again all personal preferance. Hardwear is all pretty much the same these days. I remember when Shorty's first came out with the allen key style hardwear you'd always loose that stupid little key. Then you'd ask to borrow tools because you just broke one of them and nobody would have a key. Now I have a whole drawer full of the little fuckers. Riser pads are good for keeping away pressure cracks that form around the holes the truck hardwear goes though. I used to swear by Black Magic grip tape as being the best (I don't know if they're still around even?).

If you're going to buy a graphic deck, take your time. They make them everyday so don't rush into it and buy one just because "It has a cool picture". Eye it up, see if you like the way it's curved, how the weight feels. Then Happy Skating *nollie out*
 
Top