• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Bush's State-o-Union...and a prediction (v.2.1.1)

~atp~

TRIBE Member
First, I don't see how much discussion we can really generate about his speech because it had no substance, however, I'd like to make my own remarks on this.

- Encouraging abstinence is being sold as an effective birth control method. However, he is really encouraging it due to his religious beliefs. No good will come of this. Same goes for same-sex marriage.

- His chatter about how "we will leave no child behind" should actually read: "we will leave no American child behind; the rest we'll bomb...or recruit them for slave labour"

- He had no idea what he was actually saying. Did you watch Cheney? He was pulling strings behind Bush. Trust me.

I can't say anything else about this. It was all garbage. Did you actually learn anything? No. All it does is strike more useless debate about how wonderfully effective it is to bomb the fuck out of a bunch of countries, and pretend it's in the name of "terrorism", which I would agree with, if by terrorism they meant American government terrorising other states.

Oh, and my prediction: Bush will win the 2004 election. You watch.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Of course Bush will win the election. The Democrats are in total disarray. They need a leader that they can unite behind. And none of the current candidates can meet that challenge.

Plus as sitting pres, he can appease the blue collar workers with well timed tariffs on imports that threaten their jobs. Unionised jobs that are the Democrats base. Or was.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
Of course Bush will win the election. The Democrats are in total disarray. They need a leader that they can unite behind. And none of the current candidates can meet that challenge.

Plus as sitting pres, he can appease the blue collar workers with well timed tariffs on imports that threaten their jobs. Unionised jobs that are the Democrats base. Or was.
I pretty much agree with you.

Although, I could probably add a caveat: dramatic (and I mean really dramatic) events could unsettle voters enough and get them rallying behind a dem...but it's unlikely.

Besides, the only "drama" I can see cropping up in the next 6 months are of the violent sort...and you need a Republican for that right? Cuz they gots the balls. :)

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Even though Reagan survived, there's still time for the curse. There's got to be a nutbar democrat with a fixation on some actress willing to prove his love to her.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I ended up watching all of it thinking I would just check it out. He said so many statements that were really not in line with american policies that I was laughing, the same laugh you would mutter before getting hit by a bus. I heard one of the bushin30seconds ads equated Bush with Hitler and it created a real stir. I haven't seen the ad put I was reminded of Hitler while watching the reactions to the speech. Not in terms of genocidal rage but the way so many normal, and not so normal people seem to so blindly follow him. If it weren't so serious it would be humourous. I feel porely for the folk that would watch what i watched and still be behind this beast.

KickIT

TRIBE Member

Bush will also win because he appeals to the lowest common denominator because he is the lowest common denominator.

*c*

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I watched about 30 seconds of the speach before turning it off. I simply cannot stand listening to that man and his blatant lies. I would go nuts having to sit through the entire thing, saying "no, that's a complete lie" after every pause.

How am I supposed to take him seriously when it's all just catch-phrases and buzz words? "Leave No Child Behind"? That's fucking bullshit and is leaving millions of children behind.

It's all doublespeak as far as I'm concerned.

doubleplusungood.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Yeah, it was pretty shite. The constant standing O's make it painful enough without all the lying.

The only hilight for me was the round of applause after Bush said "Sections of the Patriot Act are due to expire soon". He honestly seemed caught off guard by it.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I read the text when I got home last night, and have to agree with Subsonic - lie after lie after lie. For about a dozen points I felt like posting a section and giving conflicting proof as to why and how exactly he's a liar, but why bother.

I love how he implies that their invasion was sanctioned by proxy, on behalf of the UN, to invade Iraq.

Since we last met in this chamber, combat forces of the United States, Great Britain, Australia, Poland and other countries enforced the demands of the United Nations, ended the rule of Saddam Hussein, and the people of Iraq are free.
Meanwhile, right before the attack, UN inspectors were quoted as saying "it's not too late, they are cooperating, we're getting our work done". The UN inspectors were made to leave by the US so the invasion can begin.

What goes around comes around.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Saw this last night, interesting point Adrian, he got the same reaction on the tax cuts part of the speach.

It will be interesting to see the impact of their new savings account plan has on the average American family. Also interesting to if his promises to cut deficit in half over 5 yrs hold water.

I was more worried about the "supplementation" part of his speach, makes being a mongo that much more difficult.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since we last met in this chamber, combat forces of the United States, Great Britain, Australia, Poland and other countries enforced the demands of the United Nations, ended the rule of Saddam Hussein, and the people of Iraq are free.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that this was about the only moment of the speach that I caught, and I really had to hold myself back from screaming at the TV: "No! You dumb fuck! The United Nations did not endorse your stupid invasion, and the people of Iraq ARE NOT FREE! They are just living under a new dictatorship, increased crime and lawlessness, and less clean water and electricity than before you showed up!!"

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Exactly. How is it that a man can lie straight to the faces of his country, complete, backward lies, and garner applause and be believed?

Orwellian.

I tell you, they deserve everything they get.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
So what policies do you think Bush is going to implement when he's President in 2005?

Patriot Act III: Law 1) Guilty until proven innocent, Law 2) 2 + 2 = 5, Law 3) The administration will be heretofore referred to as "Big Brother".

Adam

TRIBE Member
ended the rule of Saddam Hussein
Had they panned down, I'm pretty sure you could have spotted Dubya's chubby when he said this.

He got a really creepy look on his face. More creepy than usual.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I don't knwo about this whole 'democrats are in disarray' idea. I mean, the last election they backed Gore naturally because he was the VP and next in line, but during the 92 election, there was a similar rally for the Democratic leadership same as today. I think the increased coverage of the democrats race is dues to a few things. First the news stations are hurting for something to cover.. 2. Bush being in office has completely polarized the nation, and created an increase in interest towards this election. 3. the news stations are hurting for something to cover.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
The disarray in the Democrats comes from the split within the party between the centerists, the Clintonians, and the leftists, the Dean camp.

It will be quite the challenge for whomever is the candidate to heal the fractures in the party and present a united front.

10 months to go.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
The disarray in the Democrats comes from the split within the party between the centerists, the Clintonians, and the leftists, the Dean camp.

It will be quite the challenge for whomever is the candidate to heal the fractures in the party and present a united front.

10 months to go.
I agree.

Too much idealism. Not enough balls on the table. ;)

Like I keep saying, it doesn't *really* make a difference though. What about the senate? Does anyone have an idea of what the senate's gonna look like next term?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
I agree.

Like I keep saying, it doesn't *really* make a difference though. What about the senate? Does anyone have an idea of what the senate's gonna look like next term?
This is 0ojne of the few times that I argue that they should in fact use a negative campaign. I normally argue that you campaign on the issues and ignore your revials. This is one of the few cases where I believe more passion can be generated with a negative campaign just tearing Bush apart. You have to make people believe that they are going down the wrong path with Bush and that any other path is the right choice rather than believing you are the best option.

The democrats assumed Bush would be a two term president and I believe they hopeds to get Ms Clinton in time for 2008. Reality is that she isn't as good a choice as they once believed and it turns out that 2004 is going to be key.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
I agree.

Senate should go Republican again. There's been quite a lot of gerrymandering going on, strengthening Rep areas. Also some Dem senators are retiring.