• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bullfrog energy - green power for your home

basilisk

TRIBE Member
Has anyone signed up for this?

http://www.bullfrogpower.com/

The trade-off seems simple... a few extra bucks on your hydro bill, and the knowledge that it all came from renewable sources. With all the concern for the environment, it seems like one way to put your money where your mouth is. Thoughts?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
By signing up with Bullfrog, you continue to draw power from the provincial electricity grid, so you are not exclusively consuming renewable power. You will be consuming the same mix of generation sources as everyone else (e.g., coal, nuclear, natural gas, hydroelectric and wind). The difference is purely financial, that is, your money goes entirely to renewable generators. I believe Bullfrog has contracts exclusively with wind generators.

The main benefit is that your financial support allows potential wind generators to secure financing for new projects.

GIJill

TRIBE Member
I'm considering signing up for this. Anyone with them, and can comment on whether there are any issues or concerns?

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
I believe Bullfrog has contracts exclusively with wind generators.

check out the FAQ on their website

All of our power comes from 100% EcoLogoM certified renewable energy sources. Our mix comprises approximately 80% low-impact hydro and 20% wind power.

your other statement about it being purely financial is not exactly correct. You do draw power from the "dirty" grid, but bullfrog injects new green energy into the grid amounting to how much energy you used.

so you borrow "dirty" energy from the grid and bullfrog pays the grid back with "clean" energy

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
As soon as i buy a house i'm signing up for sure. Their energy is more expensive (9.1 vs. 5.5 c/kwh), but it's a great incentive to weatherproof your home and learn how to conserve energy.

also, their rates are fixed, whereas the standard rates are bound to increase to offset the cost of building more coal/nuclear plants...

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
tommysmalls said:
so you borrow "dirty" energy from the grid and bullfrog pays the grid back with "clean" energy

i'm not signed up myself, however, many building owners, etc. are now signing up for this.

alcid

TRIBE Member
yup, been with bullfrog since october. it was super easy - i didn't have to do anything except fax them a void cheque for automatic debit payments. i guess it's a little more expensive, but i haven't really noticed.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Rather then buy 'clean' power where are the resources to produce my own? What are the companies that will instal soloar pannels for canadian residential use combined with some geothermal and or possably a small windmill?

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Hi i'm God said:
Rather then buy 'clean' power where are the resources to produce my own? What are the companies that will instal soloar pannels for canadian residential use combined with some geothermal and or possably a small windmill?
Next Energy is probably your best bet for geothermal.

http://www.nextenergysolutions.com/

For solar and wind, Canadian Tire has a full line of residential power generation products.

http://www.canadiantirepower.ca/en/

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Thanks. I know yanch does Geothermal and I'm definitly not going to Canadian tire for long lasting products.

I was hoping for like a full service company that does all 3 if appropriate and will service things for when I have 4 feet of snow on the roof and therfore no power.

kuba

TRIBE Member
madnezz said:
Our house is bullfrog powered. :)
Didn't read the thread but got to ask: is it a contract? What if you sell your house, do the new owners have to go BF? Can you, at any time, stop? Have you seen any power issues since? i'm defiently considering it since going from elec heating to FAG (forced air gas :p) and my usage has gone down from 5500 KwH to 1200 year over year.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Bullfrog Power is, as far as I understand, basically all on paper as far as the consumer is concerned. So they can signup or cancel people without penalty or extra charges because really, nothing happens at either end. Bullfrog's deals with Ontario Power Generation will change depending on volume of customers - i.e. bulk orders, not individuals.. There's no hardware to amortize. You could switch back and forth every couple of months if you wanted.

madnezz

TRIBE Member
Acheron pretty much sums it up, Kuba. There's no headache at all for anything, just peace of mind knowing that the amount of power you use is replaced with the same amount of 'green' power. If you sell your house, it's up to the new owners whether they want to switch out of bullfrog or not.

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Interesting fact: Wal-Mart is their biggest client. The store is actually the biggest purchaser of green energy in Canada. Go Wal-Mart!

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
Bullfrog Power is, as far as I understand, basically all on paper as far as the consumer is concerned. So they can signup or cancel people without penalty or extra charges because really, nothing happens at either end.
That's how all electricity retailers work. The reason most companies charge a penalty is because they purchase a fixed volume of electricity from their supplier, and if a large number of customers cancel, they are stuck selling the power back into the grid at much lower prices.