• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

bug

grit

TRIBE Member
man steve bug plays allot of fluffy, not-the-greatest-techno records.
and then he drops the absolute sickest, rare track you've ever heard, and you think he's g-d, then another 30 minutes of fluff.
very inconsistent dj. (mockinbird/footwork - good sets. elmocambo and sudbury - bad, cheesey sets.
and this is definitely the case with his latest 3 hour set from detroit. boring,floaty stuff. minus the 5 bombs he drops throughout.
i'd expect more from this guy.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Considering he's not strictly a techno DJ, perhaps that is why you think he's fluff most of the time.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
grit said:
really?
i thought bug was sposed to be 'the godfather of minimal techno funk'?
A lot of stuff in sets I've downloaded I would call straight up house.

I dunno, it depends on your expectations - if you're expecting a set of strictly minimal techno you might find yourself disappointed b/c I do find that he's all over the place. for some, that works, for others, it doesn't, but it sounds like you've figured that out already.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Buddy Holly

TRIBE Member
he plays lots of different styles of music. Can't please everyone one I guess.
I thought his set @ El Mocombo was really good. All over the map.

dtox

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
Considering he's not strictly a techno DJ, perhaps that is why you think he's fluff most of the time.

as opposed to say Adam Beyer? I think when Grit says fluff he means FLUFF as in anyone could've made it and no uniqueness to it? either that or I am fukin nutz......

grit

TRIBE Member
you seem like a really mature dude. it really shocks me how low caliber of a guy you seem like on this board. you can't possibly be as bad in real life as you seem round here. go back to lovin your cheeseball diz set.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

miller

TRIBE Member
I think when grit says 'fluff' he means 'housier music not to his taste'. I am certifiably nutz though.

I agree that it depends on expectations and you can't please everyone. Sometimes I like my techno straight-up, sometimes I love a mishmash and a hodgepodge!

grit

TRIBE Member
i have an equal passion for both deep house and techno. the stuff bug goes into often is verging on i dunno, trance or somethin along those lines. 'fluff' is the only word i could come up with.
see dtox's post above for more info.^^^

ktown

TRIBE Member
if i made it to detroit and his sounded like what he played at 99, i'd be pissed. footwork was good though.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Acidman

TRIBE Member
Bug plays a mixture of techhouse, minimal, acid house and some techno. I have heard sets from him which he even drops fuckin deep west coast style techhouse (farina style shit) and he mixes it up with crazy minimal such as pan pot. The minimal stuff he plays are some of the biggest and more popular ones.
he rarely plays weird cutting edge minimal records... his sets are most of the time funky and dancefloor friendly.

So I agree for a true minimal fan his sound is cheesey in parts and inconsistent.
His bugnology 2 is out sometime soon...

Personally I would prefer to listen to Tanzmann, Guido or Argy who play funky as well but more on the minimal side.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
grit said:
you seem like a really mature dude. it really shocks me how low caliber of a guy you seem like on this board. you can't possibly be as bad in real life as you seem round here. go back to lovin your cheeseball diz set.
who me?

AshG

I find Bug really versatile.
He's def not for a fan of one just one genre...

Most of his production i'd consider house, but I certainly expect it to be different than most stuff i'd hear out(which is why i check it).

poker face

TRIBE Member
Then you have heard wrong.

He is all over the place but always manages to flow it together somehow. people on the Tribe board have mixed opinions because they pigeon hole him as a techno dj.

grit

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
I was gonna say...I'm not a Diz fan and I'm certainly not a dude!
i'm definitely talkin bout josh b.... and i'm not one to usually talk shit about people, but that guy just says some WACK shit. shit that would come outta a 15 year old.

AshG

poker face said:
Then you have heard wrong.

He is all over the place but always manages to flow it together somehow. people on the Tribe board have mixed opinions because they pigeon hole him as a techno dj.
exactly

poker face

TRIBE Member
grit said:
i'm definitely talkin bout josh b.... and i'm not one to usually talk shit about people, but that guy just says some WACK shit. shit that would come outta a 15 year old.
He's a freak alright.

:D