• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Budget Video Card recommendations

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
I currently have a GForce 2 MX 32MB piece of crap I'm looking to upgrade, but don't want to spend a shitload on a new videocard.

Canada Computers has the Power Colour Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR 8XAGP retail card for 73$. Is it worth it, or will I just wish I paid more for a better card in a few months? I do quite a bit of gaming, but am not totally anal about framrates/highest resolutions (obviously, looking at my current card). I wouldn't use the TV-out capabilities of a card either, so no need for that.

Also, my mobo is older and doesn't support 8X AGP. If I get an 8X AGP card will it work in a 4X AGP slot (at 4X)?

There is nothing else that seems to compare for that price. There couple other cards that seem a bit better but are 50-70$ more expensive (Sapphire Radeon 9600 128MB, ASUS Radeon 9600SE 128MB). Is it worth it to pay the extra bucks for what I'm gonna use it for?

Maggs :D

lok

TRIBE Member
Id say jsut get the 9600. It'll hold for a good amount of time. buying budget video cards just does not compute. sure you save cash, but you get poorer performance and have to upgrade sooner.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Oh yeah, and Canada Computers has a terrible return policy.
Rather than having a 15% restocking fee, they have a "we don't speak english" policy.

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
Oh yeah, and Canada Computers has a terrible return policy.
Rather than having a 15% restocking fee, they have a "we don't speak english" policy.
Last guy I dealt with there was pretty helpful, and spoke english well enough. Plus they have some pretty great prices. Hopefully I won't ever have to return anything though ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SneakyPete
Sup James?
No mucho Pete. Long time no speak! Just wastin some time before bed. You?

P.S. 5am comes pretty early for those snickering at bed time...

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
Don't get the SE. it's crap.

Add an extra $4 and get the regular 9200.
everywhere I look I see a $30 difference,

whats actually different between the cards?

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
everywhere I look I see a $30 difference,

whats actually different between the cards?
I just had a look at the ATI Website it seems like the difference is in the speed of the GPU and Memory. SE is slowest, then 9200, then Pro, with XT being the fastest.
Where did you check prices?

For the 9600, anyone know if the Retail version is worth the extra $$ over the OEM? Don't you just get extra software & games? The price difference is like $25.

Is the 9600 Pro worth the extra 100$ over the standard 9600?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by jmaggs
I just had a look at the ATI Website and my guess would be the speed of the GPU and Memory. I don't know where you're looking, but the price difference I see between the 9200 and 9600 is like 70-80$... Where did you check prices?

For the 9600, anyone know if the Retail version is worth the extra $$ over the OEM? Don't you just get extra software & games? The price difference is like $25.

Is the 9600 Pro worth the extra 100$ over the standard 9600?

I meant between the 9200SE 128MB an the 9200 128MB

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
How many times must we say 9600?
Actually, you only mentioned the 9600 once, as did lok. I was looking for more than 2 opinions. That and I wanted to know if it was worth the money to go for the 9600 PRO or XT, or Retail vs. OEM.

Thanks for your insight...

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
It's all about the $$ :)

I want a 9800 XT 256mb ... but the 9800 Pro will have to do for now...

Retail is just the box, do you want the box... really?

And if you're trying to save money/budget... just get the 9600 Pro, but if you want to spend the $40 more, get the XT.

pr0nstar :D

lok

TRIBE Member
The Pro is fine, the XT is just extra juice without much longevity.

Also, OEM all the way. Catalyst is available for download, works for all Radeons, and who cares about lameo packaged games anyway.

If you wait a bit, 9800s are gonna drop when the nex gen Radeons hit the stores. Infact, I saw one for $385 oem at canadacomputers

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Thank you. That was the kind of reply I was looking for ;) (You too Kenny)

$385 is waaaaay over my budget.
Looks like I'm gonna get the Sapphire Radeon 9600 128MB DDR oem. It's only 154$ at Canada Computers. Doesn't look like they carry the 9600 Pro. I'm gonna shop around to see if it's anywhere else...

Trillian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by jmaggs
I currently have a GForce 2 MX 32MB piece of crap I'm looking to upgrade, but don't want to spend a shitload on a new videocard.

Canada Computers has the Power Colour Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR 8XAGP retail card for 73$. Is it worth it, or will I just wish I paid more for a better card in a few months? I do quite a bit of gaming, but am not totally anal about framrates/highest resolutions (obviously, looking at my current card). I wouldn't use the TV-out capabilities of a card either, so no need for that.

Also, my mobo is older and doesn't support 8X AGP. If I get an 8X AGP card will it work in a 4X AGP slot (at 4X)?

There is nothing else that seems to compare for that price. There couple other cards that seem a bit better but are 50-70$ more expensive (Sapphire Radeon 9600 128MB, ASUS Radeon 9600SE 128MB). Is it worth it to pay the extra bucks for what I'm gonna use it for?

I have the 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700 w/tv out dv in. works like a charm. a worthy investment :p

OTIS

TRIBE Member
The 9600 is toted as the current budget videocard of choice by most respected computer publications.. you won't steer wrong with it.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Am I the only one who wouldn't buy a Saphire, etc?

I dont' know, I like to stick with the actual Manufactures of the Chips.

If I bought a video card again, it's gotta be ATI or maybe Hercules.

pr0nstar

finary

TRIBE Promoter
So is ATI really the way to go now?

I picked up my GeForce 4 Ti 4400 128MB for $150 in August. I love it! No complaints what so ever.

/finary

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I've had a Saphirre for a year and a bit, and there really is no difference between it and a "real" ATI.

They are more than likely both manufactured at the same facility and just branded different so that people who don't know any better can be charged a premium.

lok

TRIBE Member
ATIs upper end cards have more beef, and they're ahead in the architecture race. Nvidia is still good, but they're behind now and they're gonna have to leapfrog.

Besides, ATI is canadian. SUPPORT the locals!