• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Budget gets passed without opposition

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Good to see that the opposition is awake while at work

Canadian Lawmakers Accidentally Pass Budget in House (Update1)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=email_us&refer=top_world_news&sid=aRtGywkHo2_0

Canadian Lawmakers Accidentally Pass Budget in House (Update1)

June 6 (Bloomberg) -- The Canadian government's C$227 billion ($204 billion) budget was passed in the House of Commons after opposition lawmakers accidentally failed to stand up to debate the spending plan.

``It passed with unanimous consent,'' Finance Minister Jim Flaherty told reporters outside the House of Commons in Ottawa today.

Legislators were supposed to hold a debate and final vote on the spending plan after Parliament's finance committee completed its review. By remaining seated in the House of Commons, opposition lawmakers allowed the bill to pass ``in a matter of minutes,'' said Libby Davies, the New Democratic Party member responsible for legislation.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's minority government needs support from at least one opposition party to pass legislation. Under Canadian parliamentary tradition, a defeated budget would be grounds for new elections.

The budget would probably have passed with the support of the separatist Bloc Quebecois. The Liberal Party, the country's largest opposition party, and the New Democrats opposed the plan.

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe told reporters that either the Liberals and New Democrats are incompetent, or the two parties chose to abstain because they were afraid the Bloc would seek to force an election by voting against the plan.

Off Guard

Opposition lawmakers were expecting Conservative member Diane Ablonczy to speak in the House. When she didn't show up, the speaker moved on to the budget, and opposition politicians were caught off guard.

``Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill -- we oppose the budget,'' said Liberal leader Bill Graham. ``It's an unfortunate error, but it doesn't change anything.''

The 2006 budget lowers the goods and services sales tax to 6 percent from 7 percent starting July 1, and pays an annual grant to families of C$1,200 for every child under six. The budget, unveiled May 2, also offers tax breaks for companies and increases funding for the provinces.

The government is proposing C$29.3 billion in tax cuts and new spending over two years, narrowing its budget surplus to C$3.6 billion this fiscal year, from C$8 billion in the year ended March 31.

That should give a boost to consumer and business spending of more than C$5 billion, keeping the world's eighth-largest economy on course to grow at the fastest pace in four years, economists have predicted.

The budget now moves to the Senate for approval.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
Good to see that the opposition is awake while at work

ahaha that's what I thought when I read the news this morning.

Way to keep that eye on the ball, boys.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Even Graham came out and said it was an error, instead of a political game of abstaining from the vote as Duceppe suggested might have been their reasoning.

Where was Happy Jack Layton??? I can understand the Liberals being disorganized, but I always thought that the NDP'ers were pretty with it. Layton prides himself in annoying the fuck out of the people in power.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
well you know I got up and went for coffee and blamo 227 billion dollars floated around the room and we all got a really strange feeling.

The liberals can't afford an election for another 6 months minimum. This was an easy way to disagree without risking a collapse of harpers government before a new leader can be selected.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
The liberals can't afford an election for another 6 months minimum. This was an easy way to disagree without risking a collapse of harpers government before a new leader can be selected.

If that would have been the case, why didn't Bill Graham say that they were abstaining from the vote on purpose?

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
I highly doubt it was an accident. It's like Duceppe said: they abstained. I like how the Liberal dude says not to make a big deal out of it. [List of invectives unsuitable for publication]

So much for our elected representatives doing a damn thing to represent the "sovereign will of the people". They wouldn't even stand up for the sake of the all-important Devil's advocacy! Make a statement, express your opinion, read a letter from a constituent--or a thousand constituents--who oppose aspects of the budget.

Oh oh, I've got question! <raises hand and impatiently bounces up and down in his seat>

What a Decent Opposition MP might say said:
Mr. Right Fucking Honorable Prime Minister, why in the balls are we reducing taxes and increasing spending? How is that--in any way--"conservative," you gigantic hypocrite?

Doesn't Canada have a debt? I thought Canada had a debt!

Last time I checked, debts have to be paid off. Around the time that I checked that, I also discovered that unpaid debts accrue interest! So, please explain the wisdom of slashing our revenues while increasing our spending so that our annual suplus gets slahsed by more than HALF!

Sunnuvabitch

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
If that would have been the case, why didn't Bill Graham say that they were abstaining from the vote on purpose?

Cons 124
Liberal 103
Bloc 51
NDP 29

If the liberals voted against they would have set the stage for either the NDP or Bloc to cause an election they don't want. As order in question period is according to seats in the house the liberals are forced to speak first.

If they vote against the budget and tax reductions and spending then in the enxt election (likely before the next budget) they will be torn to shreads by the fiscal conservatives they need to win. By abstaining they act like pussies, by pretending it was an accident they can critique everything while not being against or for anything.

Basically they gave themselves the best of both worlds this way.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Cons 124
Liberal 103
Bloc 51
NDP 29

If the liberals voted against they would have set the stage for either the NDP or Bloc to cause an election they don't want. As order in question period is according to seats in the house the liberals are forced to speak first.

If they vote against the budget and tax reductions and spending then in the enxt election (likely before the next budget) they will be torn to shreads by the fiscal conservatives they need to win. By abstaining they act like pussies, by pretending it was an accident they can critique everything while not being against or for anything.

Basically they gave themselves the best of both worlds this way.

So you're saying they took a dive and threw the fight? Valid strategy for sure. I understand not wanting to go to an election so soon, but why not come clean about the very reasons WHY you're abstaining?

Interesting move regardless.

It still doesn't really explain why the NDP sat on their hands either, especially with the Liberals already having tipped their hand. The NDP could have voted a resounding NO to take back to their constituents instead of towing the Liberal line.

Or being asleep.

octo

TRIBE Member
this is not a case of "strategy" it's a case of politicians doing jack shit at work. or maybe it's a liberal pathology

Liberals red-faced over voting blunder
Jun. 6, 2006. 01:00 AM
ROB FERGUSON
QUEEN'S PARK BUREAU

A goof by Premier Dalton McGuinty's Liberals puts him under official pressure from the Legislature to call an inquiry into his government's handling of the Caledonia crisis.

Despite being a majority, Liberal MPPs failed to vote down a harshly worded Progressive Conservative motion seeking a probe into how the government allowed Caledonia to escalate from a local problem to a "full-blown standoff."

The vote, which is not binding but puts McGuinty in an awkward position since it expresses the will of the Legislature, left opposition politicians gleeful and Liberals embarrassed.

"I will look forward to Mr. McGuinty's announcement of the inquiry, and who will head it up, soon," said Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory, relishing the victory because opposition motions rarely pass.

The vote was done by voice, with MPPs calling out "yay" or "nay." The "yays" were louder and not enough Liberals stood up quickly enough to force a recorded vote, which would have allowed more of their MPPs to rush to the Legislature to defeat the motion.

"It's just sloppiness ... somebody's going to get yelled at," said one Liberal MPP.

Liberal party whip Dave Levac, who is in charge of mustering MPPs for critical votes, said he was trying to get more Liberals to stand up to force a recorded vote but not enough heeded his hand signals.

He tried to downplay the importance of the motion, calling it "a finger-pointing exercise" and saying that what really matters is reaching a settlement at Caledonia.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
MPs quickly pass federal budget
Jun. 6, 2006. 05:53 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA — The House of Commons passed the Harper government’s first budget early Tuesday, faster than expected.

The passage surprised everyone — including the governing Conservatives — as the bill was quickly approved through a procedural move when no one rose in the Commons to resume debating the legislation.

“We did not anticipate the unanimous consent of the opposition to the budget,” Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said, his face beaming.

“But I thank them. Thanks very much.”

Not realizing what had happened, after the legislation had passed third reading Conservative MP Diane Ablonczy stood to resume debating the bill.

Opposition critics did the same, only to be told by the Speaker that the legislation had already moved on.

NDP Leader Jack Layton appear unconcerned about the development, suggesting further debate would be futile.

“The fact is that the House was essentially at this point just spinning its wheels on this budget,” he said.

“Everybody knew this budget was going to pass with the support of the Bloc (Quebecois) and our view was let’s get on to business.”

To appease any concerns of the opposition parties that they didn’t get enough time to criticize the budget, the Tories offered a two-hour take-note debate on the legislation before turning it over to the Senate, where it is also expected to pass.

The bill contains a number of tax measures, notably a cut in the GST to six per cent from seven per cent, effective July 1. It also offers gradual cuts to corporate tax rates.

I think layton is learning that the yappy dog image has started to stick. If there is nothing that he can say to change anything he might as well not fillabuster every vote for no reason. The liberals let is pass because it had to pass or they would have to go into an election. The Bloc was going to pass it anyway so it slipping through was easy for them.

I think this was more a matter of its nice outside and I want to go home than anything else.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
Where was Happy Jack Layton??? I can understand the Liberals being disorganized, but I always thought that the NDP'ers were pretty with it. Layton prides himself in annoying the fuck out of the people in power.

*crickets chirping*