• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Buck 65 in Waterloo

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
If Wicked and Weird is what you were wanting, you need look no further.

From a magician and an unnecessary drummer to the mainshow we go ....... spoken word, DMC, country, hip-hop with some craftsmanship (of course) were served up in a unique blend that kept the audience guessing.

The encocore was most definately the highlight for myself with the onslaught of hard hitting hip-hop beats and classic lyrics, this mashup alone was worth the price of admission.

matt

zoo

TRIBE Member
ooooh i'm so excited for tomorrow night

"unless you take pride in what you're doing you won't last, craftsmanship" ;0)

dg0425

TRIBE Member
I saw buck 65 for a taping of the Toronto show. That guy is a joke. No talent, no presence, just a white guy getting pushed by executives trying to sell a sound.

zoo

TRIBE Member
just got home from the show in hamilton

it was great, and ended way too early for me [i think he played 2 hours in total]

his jokes were funny, his stories were cool

i just wish it was a "sit-down" type of venue

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dg0425
I saw buck 65 for a taping of the Toronto show. That guy is a joke. No talent, no presence, just a white guy getting pushed by executives trying to sell a sound.

Fair enough dude... have your opinion, but seeing his taping and listening to his albums are two different ball games. I think he tells a good story, I think he doesn't take himslef too seriously (which the modern music world is plagued with), and he makes some nice funky beats. Buck 65 is not going to change the world in a day... but I also don't think there are too many corporate "executives" backing his brand of music, what is he going to sell? and to whom?

So what do you want? The same old, generic, cut and paste, I'm an O.G, pimping, book book, chuck d sampled "everybody say hell yeah", 22 inch rim, my flow is better than yours, everybody loves me, gucci wearing, diamond studded, swill driven, no passion, I can't perform without an entourage, Nike sponsor me, cat rhymes with hat, metaphors of your hoes, my Dj has no reason to be in the video bullshit that the music scene is rotting from these days?

Fair enough. But I like Buck 65. But I like Simon and Garfunkel also. Maybe the guy just wants to have some fun and tell a joke or two.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
dg0425: to base your entire judgment of someone on their performance on a show like that (where quite possibly no one in the audience is there to see you) is pretty silly.

p.s. jemz, that was fucking funny.

aether

TRIBE Member
Anybody who covers Woody Guthrie songs is okay by me. His hip-hopping tom waits in halifax sound isn't something i would have thought would work so well. (it was good to finally see a show at the starlight, much better than trying to watch a show in the crampedness of the jane bond).

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member

go to school,kid :(

zoo

TRIBE Member
he's right man

buck65 is a no talent hack

i feel so stupid for paying $20 to see him for the second time

i am eternally shamed

dg0425

TRIBE Member
I agree, basing an opinion on a 2 song performance might not be fair. He is doing something different but the problem is he's just not doing very much of anything.

What are they selling? hmmm alternative hip hop for the educated white man? I don't know, whatever it is, it was painfully awkward.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
I agree, basing an opinion on a 2 song performance might not be fair. He is doing something different but the problem is he's just not doing very much of anything.

What are they selling? hmmm alternative hip hop for the educated white man? I don't know, whatever it is, it was painfully awkward.

he's selling his soul...I would gladly pay 20 for it...while I'm waxing philosophics you can go pay 60 for nelly...the choice is yours:p

go back to man overboard,vertex and square...the ideas behind the LPs are truly original and the beats(him!!) are some the best you'll hear and easily the most definable on our soil...I'm confused about what you don't get about the man:confused:

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Well Spinsah, Blueker, dlerium88 and I were at the London gig last night at Call The Office... and I think that they as I would agree that dg0425 has really only seen the video for wicked and weird and has based his entire opinion on that.

The show was completely sold out and rammed at that.

What a unique show.. that's all that goes through my head. Buck 65 ain't selling anything but a good time and his somtimes concious sometimes silly stories. And as for prescence, he has all the prescence of a folk artist who would rather you listen to what he is saying than admire his shoes.

And that guy has flow. His style can be quite complex at times (I feel) and he don't stumble ever.

I wish I could have seen more... I'll upload some pics later when i feel more motivated. Great show.... Spence thanks for the hospitality and company bro... and as a late edition to Stormshadow and Jesux... sorry you guys couldn't get in :(
Werd
Jamie :)

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member

I'm REALLY starting to take offense to this now...listen to SQUARE, in particular square 1 and tell that's not the work of someone who has a LOVE for music...I can't think of a worse thing to say than what you said!...it's all opinions and I respect that but the music speaks for itself...listen again