1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Bryant to publish book about cyclist's death

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Oct 17, 2011.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Bryant to publish book about cyclist's death

Former Ontario attorney general to publish 'untold story within this tragedy'

The Canadian Press

Former Ontario attorney general Michael Bryant is writing a book about his deadly encounter with a Toronto cyclist.

Penguin Canada says 28 Seconds will be published next fall. In August 2009, Bryant was driving home from an anniversary dinner with his wife when he became involved in an altercation with bike courier Darcy Allan Sheppard.

The 33-year-old cyclist latched onto the former politician's car and died after falling under the vehicle.

Penguin says 28 Seconds will look at the aftermath of that evening. Charges against Bryant were ultimately dropped after prosecutors concluded there was little chance of a conviction.

Evidence showed Sheppard had a history of aggressive behaviour with drivers and twice the legal limit of alcohol in his blood at the time of the incident.

"There is an untold story within this tragedy, and I wanted to share that story. It's important to pass along lessons learned regarding our justice system. I'm ready to speak to these very personal issues," Bryant said in a statement.

Penguin's Viking imprint will publish the book. Penguin says a portion of any book proceeds will go to the Pine River Foundation for adolescent mental health and substance abuse treatment.

Bryant was Ontario's attorney general from 2003-07 and represented the Toronto riding of St. Paul's in Toronto for 10 years.

He currently works as a senior adviser at Norton Rose LLP in Toronto.

Bryant to publish book about cyclist's death - Toronto - CBC News

eeew

2. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I'll buy this book it's my responsibility as the 99%.

3. alexd

He must be planning a political comeback.

4. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Wow, this guy should really just move on. I've said it before, I've socialized with him before and I know people who know him personally and... His character is also allegedly very questionable. Let it go, man.

5. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

Looks that way to me as well. Hopefully this is a non-starter, never liked the guy or his way of doing politics.

6. Phat Buddha

Phat Buddha TRIBE Member

Bryant reflects on life-changing incident in 28 Seconds - Toronto - CBC News

Bryant reflects on life-changing incident in 28 Seconds
    Ex-Ontario politician reveals struggle with alcoholism, thoughts on cyclist's death in new memoir

"When I found out he died … that was the worst," said Bryant, who in his book about the incident, 28 Seconds: A True Story of Addiction, Injustice and Tragedy, also reveals for the first time publicly his own battle with alcoholism.

7. octo

octo TRIBE Member

he killed a guy and writes a book about it. and plays the sympathy card with the whole "recovering alcoholic" angle.

what an asshole.

8. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

This is disgusting. If it's a political manoeuvre, it's in very bad taste. I don't even see how it can work.

9. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

If you saw his interview on CBC, he does seem very remorseful. And that cyclist had a lot of history being very aggressive with drivers. The dog who chases cars is going to get himself hit sooner or later.

I'm not defending the guy, just sayign that it's easy to point the finger, but in his situation it's hard to tell what any of us would do.

10. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

the company I work for .. we're building the next workopolis or some shit but it's rather different that we offer online job training, and job placement, apprenticeship.. blah blah as well as job search..

that's beside the point, but I just happened to today stumble on our michael bryant interview.

I was like, geez, we interviewed micheal bryant as a "lawyer" in our databank, he looked haggered, to say the least..

It's taken it's toll.. but I guess in all silver spoon glory, he's still gotta make some cash and feel sorry for himself by releasing a book and taking it to the press..

whatever.

11. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

^^ re Boss Hog: I actually defended him on a thread in here. There was a lot of evidence that the cyclist had a history of being aggressive..

However, I draw the line at this. Just reading that he is writing a book about this (and probably going on about his personal travails) makes me now question everything I said. Which is why I don't think it's the best political move. You know where I'm going with this. I have a feeling this will blow up in his face.

12. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

Doubt it. If it was going to, it would have already. This is news from 3 days ago.

It's not like the guy is a murderer trying to profit from his kills. He was attacked by some nut, who was accidentally killed while he was attempting to flee. Considering everything that happened after that incident, along with everything else that has happened in the life of this former public figure, I'd say he likely has a pretty interesting story to tell.

13. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

You might be right, I might be wrong. Personally, I think writing a book about this is a little much. I'm hoping the public doesn't fall for this, because I can't think of any other reason (besides the political), as to why he would write this.

As I said earlier, I supported him. Now..not so much.

14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

It's a very interesting story and it's valuable to have what he considers his side of the story out there. Is it callous that he would attempt to profit from it? Perhaps to some, but this is the world we live in - and he did spend a fair bit of time being hounded in the press before his vindication in the courts. This is part of the process of getting his life back. He has for most of his career been a very public man. When something happens to a politician (or a lawyer, or both), they write a book about it. Of course there are a fair cadre of people who will never be convinced he didn't just get away with vehicular manslaughter, but that's an even better reason to publish. Every time someone writes an op-ed about Bryant, he sells few more books. It's just how it works.

15. derek

derek TRIBE Member

while a complete douche, you could never fault him for not being smart.

16. alexd

Another book soon to be in the discount bin at BMV, if it isn't there already.

17. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Saw this as well, not sure how I feel about it, maybe its way of dealing and moving past what he has done. Seems many folks in positions of power do this, they screw up, write a book, and somehow through that process come out to the light on the other side, or at least thats the impression they would like to leave.

Im still very unclear as to what really happened during that incident, I mean at the time, seemed many details, to me at least, sketchy?

Still, he was a shinning star in politics in Ontario, and I enjoyed his banter and thoughts on issues. Given who is is in the field today, maybe he could make a comeback.

18. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

With a book like this, and an author like this - you have to remember that first off, this is being published in Canada. So sales are going to be muted by comparison to the million-advance, million-selling tell-all books of American reality television types. Second, while there is a concentration of Bryant-haters in the Toronto cycling community, coupled with another group there who are disgusted with him in general, the rest of Ontario will probably be very curious to read his side of the story. All they know is that their attorney general hit and killed a cyclist and there was a to-do about it, and then he was exonerated. He'll have sales in the 10s of thousands but that's about it. The sales don't really matter. He's wealthy enough to begin with. This is a document that will sit on shelves in a library and be part of the history of Ontario's legal and political community.

19. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I think you underestimate how expensive his legal bills from this are. He did hire Navigator after all calling on the priciest minds of the Liberal guard to dig him out. He lost his job at Invest Toronto, got divorced and is pretty straightforward about having those bills to pay for probably the rest of his life. I don't feel for he guy, but I think his story might be worth reading.

20. juice

juice TRIBE Member

My wife lived next door to him for a few years and google image search should show his picture on a douche bag image search that is for sure. Racist, sexist and generally just a very mean spirited person. Smart enough to call up Navigator the second it happened and get the spin machine going to cover it all up and keep him out of jail.

I can only hope some of the profits of this would go to the victim's family?

21. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Some of the proceeds of the book are apparently going to Pine Rivers, a camp for trouble adolescents which he sits on the board for.

22. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I posted a few chapter titles on FB when I got to see a preview of the book. I guess it would be an interesting read. Here's a sampling:

Chapter 3: The Trappings of White Collar Crime

Chapter 8: Canali or Armani?

Chapter 14: Surviving a Night in Prison Without Your Blackberry Charger

Chapter 26: Suit Delivery Etiquette

Chapter 17: Remorse - Friend or Foe?

Chapter 12: My Favourite Cocktails

Chapter 30: Pictorial Guide - Innocent Face (for TV)

Chapter 31 - How To Avoid The Family of the Person You Killed by Writing a Book

Chapter 1: So Close to Being Premier

Chapter 2: Too Many Cyclists, Not Enough Spritzers

Chapter 80: The Mental Health System - a Primer

Prologue: Why Don't You Love Me, McGuinty?

Chapter 30a: Pictorial Guide - Innocent Face (for Spouse)

23. alexd

Was the woman in the car at the time he killed the cyclist his wife or gf?

24. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Wife (now ex). It was their anniversary.

25. i lix

i lix TRIBE Member

...and for $60 you too can buy tickets to go to a reading at the library, which "includes appetizers, wine and a copy of the book".