• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Brushes with "stardom"

rentat

TRIBE Member
Inspired by the Boogies thread. Have you ever run into so called "stars"?

Was once at HMV in Jackson Square in Hamilton and Chris Sheppard was there. Had no idea who he was until later. "CRAAAZY BABY"

In Mapleview mall in Burlington, Maestro "let ch'yo backbone slide" Fresh Wes did an in store at Roots and I watched him walk to the store. Also that same day, I saw the guy from the Red Green Show and Traders Patrick McKenna shopping in the Bay buying towels.

joey

TRIBE Member
i met a famous band while they were on toronto for their elevation tour, but im not allowed to talk about them..

i met DMX when he was shooting that movie with stephen seagal

i've met a ton of hockey players and toronto actors while working in restaurants downtown

rod_g

TRIBE Member
off tha tawp of my head...

Billy Zane
Lady Kier
Ice Cube
Wesley Snipes

DOES MONIKA DEOL COUNT

rentat

TRIBE Member
I'm talking second rate stars here. Most Canadian stars count. I don't know if anyone knows who this is but I once saw Dominic Zamprogna, was on the show Edgemont, at Fever in Hamilton(before all the renovations)

Plato

TRIBE Member
i met the guy who played the original Austin from days of our lives and was also the boyfriend to tony's daughter on who's the boss (they lived in new mexico or something), once at some mall signing

wowee zowee.

p[l]a+0

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

juice

TRIBE Member
Most of the people I've met have been sports related people. I hung out with Shaq once while he was at the airport for 30 mins waiting for his mom. This was a small airport in Baton Rouge. He's a really funny nice guy. He was just sitting there in the arrivals section waiting on the flight. It was like the last flight of the night to hit the airport and my mom was on the same flight as well.

This was in the summer just before he signed with Orlando, I guess the ego and star power hadn't hit him yet.

Plato

TRIBE Member
oh god...speaking of canadian sub-stars

i had a torrid love affair with a semi-cast member from ready or not last year

but we arent gonna go into details

basically i stole her away from my then best friend
hahahhas!

p[l]a+0

G

Daniel Baldwin
all the members of Pantera
Igor and Max from Sepultura
Rob Zombie and the members of White Zombie
Les from Primus
Chino, or whatever the hell is name is, from The Deftones
LeVar Burton(lt. geordie laforge from star trek also of reading rainbow fame)
Faith Ford (aka Corky) from Murphy Brown
Paul Oakenfold a couple of times ;)
all the members of Slayer
although I've never met him, I had a friend who lived next door to Hayden Christianson(the new anakin skywalker). I was jumping on the trampoline in his back yard and I broke it.

there's a whole bunch more, mostly bands, athletes and a few actors.... i can't remember who though.

juice

TRIBE Member
I guy I used to work with dated Alanis Morissette back in the "Alanis" days, he had some fun stories to tell about her. He is apparently featured in that song as well, "Dear whatever I hate you blah blah" or however it goes.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
"stars" that ive spoke to:

jann arden
undertaker
curtis joseph
dieselboy
ritchie hawtin
misstress barbara
gord downy(tradgically hip)
the long curly haired kid who starred in the CBC classic movie "the challengers"

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
G

Originally posted by ~dazed~
Daniel Baldwin
all the members of Pantera
Igor and Max from Sepultura
Rob Zombie and the members of White Zombie
Les from Primus
Chino, or whatever the hell is name is, from The Deftones
LeVar Burton(lt. geordie laforge from star trek also of reading rainbow fame)
Faith Ford (aka Corky) from Murphy Brown
Paul Oakenfold a couple of times ;)
although I've never met him, I had a friend who lived next door to Hayden Christianson(the new anakin skywalker). I was jumping on the trampoline in his back yard and I broke it.

there's a whole bunch more, mostly bands, athletes and a few actors.... i can't remember who though.
oh and Met Dave Chappelle at the airport once. I was waiting for a flight to nyc and he as going to Boston.

G

I've also met Snake from Degrassi at a battle of the bands many moons ago. He used to host them at this club called the spectrum on danforth.

Met Joey Jeramiaha at The ElMo once. I asked him if the zit remedy was playing.... he gave me a dirty look and said no then turned away. I laughed :D

I met Jono from Jonovision

juice

TRIBE Member
Oh I was on the same flight as Christina Aguilera and all her dancers back from LA to Toronto, that was kinda fun I guess, she has some pretty hot dancers, she was a total bitch though. Acted like a total drama queen on the flight and delayed the takeoff.

My mom sat next to Alex Trebec on a Toronto to London flight, he apparently snores quite loudly.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by ~dazed~

Les from Primus
sweet! les is probably the one star who has has the biggest influence on my life.

i met a few of the guys from slipknot, korn and gene simmons!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
When I was working in Yorkdale I found myself perusing magazines at Coles beside the infamous Foxy Brown...she had bodyguards everywhere

I was more interested in checking them out than chattin with her though ;)

afterglow

TRIBE Member
hmmm 'stars'? I met a bunch of bands back in the day...

Members of Limblifter
Members of Age of Electric
Members of Treble charger
Members of OLP
" " Pluto
" " Kill Joys
" " Matthew Good

hmmm

Meg Ryan

Right now I'm having my torrid love affair with a lofter, who shall remain nameless

I met Liz from Degrassi many times...

I'm sure there're more...

Moez

TRIBE Member
A couple of days ago I was at the Shoppers Drug Mart shopping next to Molly Shannon.
- many people from Degrassi including Snake who was at Babylon, Joey Jeremiah, Arthur, Liz
-Mina Suvari from American Beauty
-Aunt Hetty from Road to Avonlea haha
-Edwin From Edwin and the Pressure/I Mother Earth
- Scott Thomson from Kids in The Hall, he was at the bank because he lost his bank card
Catherina Zeta Jones
Micheal and Kirk Douglas

xtollo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by juice
I guy I used to work with dated Alanis Morissette back in the "Alanis" days, he had some fun stories to tell about her. He is apparently featured in that song as well, "Dear whatever I hate you blah blah" or however it goes.
??
'cut it out'

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
LeVar Burton is currently living/was recently living while filming down the hall from a friend of mine at Bay and Bloor. Still hoping to run into him on the elevator and pull a really bad Star Trek joke out of my ass.

- Dave Matthews (was high out of his fucking MIND) at Muchmusic
- B4-4 lives right by the mall I worked in for two years, they were always around (and are dumb as fuck)
- Julia Stiles on NYU campus
- Matt Dillon in a cafe in Greenwich Village
- David Usher on Queen West
- Tyler Stewart, the drummer for BNL, jammed in the basement of my piano teacher's house with her son when I was a kid.

Nothin' much.

Little1

TRIBE Member
literally bumped into Wayne Gretzky at a tennis tournament at York University.

Saw Vince Carter coming out of a bar on King St.

Met David Usher in Kensington market

talked with "Test" from WWF at a bar, and then later saw him at a restaurant. And another time, I saw both Test and Val Venis at Limelight.

somasociety

TRIBE Member
heh-heh. moderate canadian celebs make me laugh. they'll never be really famous, but most people know them well enough to look twice when they pass them on the street...

living in t.o., i've seen all the classics:

too many degrassi stars to count (doesn't everyone have a story about how they know a degrassi kid?)

every new and old much music vj like a hundred times

various maple leafs (sundin, cross, corson)

stupid no-talent 'lofters'

the barenaked ladies all the time, back in tha day

i've met a bunch of 'real' celebs too -- especially a couple of years ago at the Much Music Video Awards. i remember i went up to the bald dude from aqua while drunk and asked him if he was worried that their exceptionally cute singer (lene?) was talking to one of the members of n'sync (the 40 yr. old bearded Italian one). He looked really scared, like i was going to jump him or worse, muttered something about how they were friends and side-stepped away. ha-ha. my best celeb brush-off ever! moby and bif naked were pretty cool though... and when i was on the upper patio i came so close to pouring a drink on the members of b4-4 who were standing around being annoying down below. my then gf would have kicked my ass though...

quantumdj

TRIBE Member
I spent all of last weekend hangin' with Astral Projection. I was their guide. I drove them all the way to Kingston and back, fed them (they really like steak), and had a hotel room next to them. They bought me dinner at the Keg in Markham. We had some great conversations, listened to some good music, and had an overalll kick-ass time. We're still kepping in touch. They're even helping me learn about music production. I leaned a lot about life from them. Avi and Lior are great guys.

I once spent a night chillin' with John Acquaviva. I had snuck into a club (underage) alone, and made my way up to the dj booth. I was chatting with all the dj's on before him, and learned a lot about spinning. Then he came on. We chatted during his whole 3-hour set. Unlike other dj's, the conversation didnt stop every time he had to do a mix, but he could beatmatch perfectly while talking. It was impressive. He's a nice guy.

I spent about two hours at WEMF 2000 hanging around with Chris Liberator and Mark EG. We talked about music, and the underground scene in the UK. It was fun.

That's about it. I'm sure there are other occasions, but these are the most significant.

Peace :)
Dave
alphastate~