• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

British Bank Heist

dig this

TRIBE Member
Gang pulls off huge British bank heist
JENNIFER QUINN

Associated Press

London — A gang of armed robbers impersonating police officers tied up employees at a southern England security company and stole the equivalent of $43.5-million (U.S.), the Bank of England said Wednesday in disclosing one of the largest bank heists in British history.

The money, about £25-million in bank notes, was stolen overnight from a cash centre at Tonbridge in Kent county, a bank spokesman said on condition of anonymity, according to bank policy.

No one was injured in the robbery.

The heist at Securitas Cash Management Ltd. began when some of the thieves, dressed as police officers, stopped the firm's manager as he drove home. The manager got into their car, which he believed to be a police vehicle, and was handcuffed by the robbers, authorities said.

At the same time, another team of thieves went to the manager's house, saying he had been in an accident. The men convinced his wife and young son to leave the home and go with them.

The first team, with the manager in the car, met up with a white van and another group of thieves. The manager was placed in the van, which then headed toward the Tonbridge depot, police said.

The manager allegedly was told to co-operate or his family would be hurt.

Some of the robbers then changed clothes, donned balaclavas to cover their faces and brandished handguns before entering the security company and tying up 15 staff members on duty, police said. The thieves were inside the building for more than an hour.

Detective Superintendent Paul Gladstone said he believed the robbery was planned down to the last detail.
All I gotta say is: Kudos lads... Kudos.

Globe

BBC

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
same m/o as that Northern Ireland robbery, but this time they actually stole a currency that can be exchanged worldwide, as opposed to the earlier one where they left with 24 million of tender only used by 8 banks in N. Ireland.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Not to condone crime or anything... *cough*... but you just got to admire that, ultimately noone was hurt, not one shot fired, money was insured... score one for the robbers.

probs, gents.

;)

Damn, that's a lotta cizzash.

:0

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Wow, now saying it could be up to 90 million!

Heist haul 'could be near $90m'

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The theft of up to £50 million ($87 million) from a depot in southern England was carried out with "military precision" by professional robbers operating at the "top level" of organised crime, police say.

Kent's assistant chief constable Adrian Leppard said the robbers stole between £20 and £50 million in what he described as a "terrifying crime," as he appealed for information about vehicles connected to what is Britain's biggest ever robbery.

The security firm Securitas and its insurers have announced a reward of up to £2 million ($3.5 million) for information leading to the recovery of the money taken from the depot in Tonbridge, Kent.

Leppard told reporters on Thursday: "This is organised crime at its top level. This was planned and executed with military precision.

"This is a terrifying crime committed by professional and organised gangsters."

No arrests have been made so far, but he added: "There is no doubt in my mind that we will catch these people and convict them."

In the first CCTV image released on Thursday, the rear door of the white truck used in the heist in southeast England is shown open, apparently ready for the piles of cash to be placed inside.

Another shot shows the vehicle from the side. None of the gang, thought to number six men, is clearly visible.

"We know that someone out there will have seen or heard information that could be vital to our investigation, or they suspect who could be responsible," he told reporters.

The cash -- a mixture of new and used bank notes -- was stolen from a security depot in Tonbridge, in the county of Kent.

The robbers captured the depot's manager, then took his wife and 8-year-old son hostage and threatened to harm them unless he helped them get inside the high-security compound, police said.

The Bank of England, Britain's central bank, confirmed that at least £25 million ($44 million) of its money had been stolen.

The bank added that Securitas, the private company that owned the depot, had reimbursed it for that amount and British taxpayers would not be out of pocket.

Securitas said an audit had gone on through the night to try to work out exactly how much had been taken in Wednesday's raid.

The gang must have had inside information, crime experts said. The Governor of the Bank of England has called for a review of security arrangements for the storage of banknotes following the raid.

In the United Kingdom's previous biggest cash robbery, £26.5 million ($46.3m) was stolen from the Northern Bank in Belfast in December 2004.
Staff shocked

The robbery began Tuesday evening when the manager was stopped by what he believed to be an unmarked police car about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday as he drove home from work, police said. The car was believed to be a Volvo with blue lights in its radiator grill.

"A passenger wearing a high-visibility jacket and police-style hat got out and spoke to the manager who, thinking these were genuine police officers, got back into the car with him where he was handcuffed," police said. The Volvo drove off. (Watch as police investigate the crime -- 2:04)

At about the same time, the manager's wife and young son were visited at their home by two men who said they were police officers and told them there had been an accident involving the manager. The wife and son were taken from their home, police said.

Meanwhile, the Volvo met up with a white van, and the manager was tied up, put into the van and driven to an unknown location, where he was threatened at gunpoint and told his family would be at risk if he did not cooperate, authorities said.

About 1 a.m. Wednesday, the manager was taken to the security depot. A white truck also arrived there, and six men -- at least some of whom were armed -- tied up the depot staff on duty "and then loaded a substantial amount of money" into the truck, police said.

"They left about 2:15 a.m. and staff raised the alarm about an hour later. No one was hurt during the incident, but the staff were all very shocked by what happened."

The statement did not address when the manager's wife and child were released, and did not divulge the amount stolen.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I have waisted my life away as a computer programmer.

Anyone want to quit there jobs and join my in raiding some banks.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
The Irish guy at my work (who used to live in england) thinks it was an inside job. He says the money sorting building they stole the money from is like the English fort knox in terms of security.

Kiera

TRIBE Member
This reminded me of a story my boyfriend told me a little while ago,

My boyfriend used to work at an off license in Northern Ireland and he told me the story of how his manager had been robbed. There was a group of guys who went over to his house and kidnapped his wife and kids and himself. They held them at gunpoint and said that they would hurt his family if he didnt go to the store open the safe and give them all the money. They grabbed some expensive bottles of alchi-hol on the way out as well. Apparently this is quiet common over there. Thank god he doesnt work there anymore.

dg0425

TRIBE Member
Kiera said:
This reminded me of a story my boyfriend told me a little while ago,

My boyfriend used to work at an off license in Northern Ireland and he told me the story of how his manager had been robbed. There was a group of guys who went over to his house and kidnapped his wife and kids and himself. They held them at gunpoint and said that they would hurt his family if he didnt go to the store open the safe and give them all the money. They grabbed some expensive bottles of alchi-hol on the way out as well. Apparently this is quiet common over there. Thank god he doesnt work there anymore.

Whats an off license?

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
There is a comedy bank heist movie with almost this same plot line... can't remeber the name. But always thought it would work pretty well.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Maui

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
I have waisted my life away as a computer programmer.

Anyone want to quit there jobs and join my in raiding some banks.
Like I said, I respect the power of the internet so I won't say much on the topic , but with some intelligent people behind it, robbing a bank could be done with good odds of not being caught.

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
Maui said:
Like I said, I respect the power of the internet so I won't say much on the topic , but with some intelligent people behind it, robbing a bank could be done with good odds of not being caught.

that's what everyone thinks...until they get caught

dig this

TRIBE Member
Maui said:
I respect the power of the internet
Awesome!! :p

I think that most banks will instruct their employees to do what it takes to ensure the safety of themselves & their customers... How else can a guy rob 26 banks in the GTA without showing a weapon?

However, in the British heist I think a lot of careful planning went into it. You have to study every detail and every possible scenario incase something goes wrong.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Amy_J said:
that's what everyone thinks...until they get caught
I'd guess the majority of people robbing banks are below average in the brains department.

Remember the guys who robbed the money marts here in TO awhile ago.
And that guy they are looking for right now who has robbed like 7 or something banks with no disguise even.

And I'd even include these guys in the lower echelon of brain quotient.

hah 26 it is then. LOL.