• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Brexit

praktik

TRIBE Member
Gotta love the fairweather Brits.

Still I wonder what difference this will really make in the long run

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
French TV political commentator: "Nationalism always leads to war. Within 10 years we will have war again on the continent".

Although the Leave vote won by the absolute slimmest ratio, Cameron has to move forward. If he doesn't, you'd create a recipe for nut job English nationalist terrorist organisations to form, employing similar tactics to the IRA or Protestant loyalist paramilitaries of past generations.

I honestly don't know a single UK resident that wanted the Leave, nor even thought it would happen.

Next up...Scotexit...Irelexit.

the Pound is taking a savage beating.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Nick Warren
56 mins ·
well done everybody, I am off to live in Finland !

Simon Shackleton
1 hr ·
Catastrophic.
Sterling already down 8%.
I predict polarization, political turmoil & vitriol on a scale never seen before, not to mention the dissolution of the U.K.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
David Cameron was/is prone to panicking and I have zero doubt he will be considered one of Britain's weakest PM's. Both the Scottish and EU referendums were avoidable.

I'm not convinced the sky is falling. Britain is still a powerhouse and likely will remain so. Treaties will be negotiated, life will go back to normal. Brits living in the EU and EU citizens living in the UK probably have the most uncertainty to deal with. Even then, assuming there are negotiations as per Article 50, those will take 2 years. Plenty of time for level heads to prevail and make it as orderly as possible.

War in the EU? Never say never, but I seriously doubt it will happen because Britain left a political & economic union. NATO is still in place, and all the right players are still members with the obligation to defend each other. Leaving the EU doesn't change that.

As for the EU itself, it will continue. Perhaps the powers that be within it will be more accommodating of members concerns, and maybe (just maybe) to the individual voters those states represent. Schadenfreude is no doubt being enjoyed by many throughout the political spectrum, left to right.

Scotland is going to make another attempt to jump ship, only this time they'll wait for the right time to get a yes vote.

Cameron's legacy is going to be defined by this and will likely be blamed for a lot of the economic woes that are going to come out of this.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Scotland is going to make another attempt to jump ship, only this time they'll wait for the right time to get a yes vote.

Cameron's legacy is going to be defined by this and will likely be blamed for a lot of the economic woes that are going to come out of this.
But isnt Scotland's intent to remain with the EU???

The UK wont invoke the Article 50 or whatever its called right away. I think the Scottish referendum will likely coincide with that being invoked as that is when the true separation process begins no?

Maybe i read it wrong when i grok'd it this morning shortly after waking up.

praktik

TRIBE Member
70s: Wahhhh our economy is shit, we're buying french and german and scandinavian everything cause their shit is better than ours, lets hook up to this continent kicking economic ass

Now: Oh well, continent looks like a bit of a basket case - and we're doing a bit better....

----

Just wait til the Long Recession of 2031

UK will be back, mark my words!

praktik

TRIBE Member
And hey guys don't forget - our sovereign lives there and as much as the UK is leaving the EU, there's one amazing collection of nations they will never leave:

The fuckin' COMMONWEALTH

praktik

TRIBE Member
Of course Zakaria is gonna be on one side of this but his guest a few weeks ago was talking mainly about the freedom of movement thing!

How so many companies in London are filled with spanish and french, and conversely french and spanish companies filled with english - and how this inter-mixing really helps accelerate economic ingenuity, dynamism and overall growth.

You wonder if that has to go away. This could even land like a "Brexit-Lite" - London will still be London after all, plenty of people would like to work there.

If Britain throws up too many walls and restrictions on its way out it could change that though.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Sister in law started working in an english branch of EADS Astrium, married a bloke

Then they used an intra-company transfer process which saw EADS paying rent for them in the middle of fuckin' Toulouse, for 2 years, as they "adjusted" to living in the South of France, which can be quite brutal I am told (all that lavender and gleaming white mountain rock and perfect climate gets to you!).

From there they go wherever they like all the time - their free apartment is over but they used that extra cash to like, spend the weekend in Italy, Belgium, Germany - wherever the fuck

They're thinking they might transfer again to Germany.

Probably won't pick the UK now as an option, if it means paying a ton more for things and paying a lot more for travelling the continent.

lobo

TRIBE Member
I've also heard this morning on the news that a lot of this also had to do with immigration and the whole notion of not wanting more non-whites entering their country. Sad if that was truly one of the motivating factors for the older generation who were mostly the ones that wanted out.

Lobo

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Not sure about that. Think Quebec's separatist political classes and how they chatter. That's what Nicola Sturgeon sounds like to me when seeing her comments post-results. My impression is she is going to kick another referendum attempt in overdrive - but she needs to the UK government to allow it. And that assumes the EU wants Scotland in the fold anyway.

Turnout in Scotland was much lower than expected by Sturgeon and the Remain team: 67%. That's interesting.