• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Breathe Fridays w/Mark Anthony

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Damned if Mark Anthony is'nt one of the best kept Canadian dj secrets...outside the gay community that is. I have heard nothing but good things about his Saturday Stereo sets. The one time I made it to Montreal to see him he was out on tour.

So I was up for this nite and got to the club around 1:30am and I could hear the hard house pumping outside. Sure enough he was getting busy, rockin the house. The sound in the place left something to be desired but that's TO for ya, style over substance to the n'th degree. I love his hard yet deep pounding house style and it kept me on my feet until I left.

I know that this guy plays mostly on the gay party circuit scene but really, somebody ought to bring him to Toronto more often. He would be perfect for the Guv't since it is most similar, in sound, to Stereo.

Tribe board reprezented nicely this nite, with LibraD, Gizmo, Suke, Michellmybelle, Chrome(rocksteady "how's the weather up there), Eclipze's sister Laur(ie)/(en)/(a) sorry me bad with names!, Stan(the lurker, you know who you are!). But the highlight of my nite(other than Suke using stomach acid to clean the floor), was Kyfe meeting Kife!
Too funny!

Peace

flea

P.S. If I forgot anyone...ooops!

Suke

TRIBE Member
Yeah and WHO was responsible for Kyfe meeting Kife? Whowhat?

Always level headed,

Suke.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Had a fantastic night at System - I finally concede that the bar has indeed improved from its sad state last year.

Mark Scaife's set was commendable. Mark Anthony....well, that was a given. Stereo's resident dj did not dissapoint. He played exactly what i wanted to hear.

Congratulations to the promoters - i had an amazing time.

Wave

TRIBE Member
Fleaflo:

I'm surprised that you think the sound at System was poor, especially when later making reference to Guvernment (in comparison to Stereo).

System's sound might not be the best in the world, but Guvernment's supposed "amazing" sound system is the most overinflated hype existing: the bass thumps nicely, but the top & mid-range pierce your eardrums like screaching eagles. Deep, moody vocals end up sounding like drag queens on Crystal!

Just my opinion.
Wave

Stan

TRIBE Member
That's because those fuckers at Guverment always feel the need to crank up the volume to insane levels.

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Hey Wave. I've been to Stereo so I kind of knew that what I would hear at System would be below par. This was my complaint about the sound there:

Bass
Whooomp!
Bass
Whooomp!

I thought that Whoomp sound was another track being brought in at first, but then I realized it was just reverberation. And it was off the beat. However it was so loud that at times I found it easier to dance to it. Then when the bass kicked in louder or became more audible, I got confused!

You know what tho, no real biggie. It's System and the Breathe guys brought in a wikked ass dj, so c'est la vie.

But you are dead-spot on about the sound in the Guv. After I came back from Stereo, I went to Summers end and the sound in there was absolutely horrible. It's not even close to stereo. I really did'nt know the difference before hearing the Stereo soundsystem and people always told me that the Guv has a wikked sound system, but man, it really sounds terrible in the main room.

Did you make it to see Mark Anthony?

flea

Wave

TRIBE Member
Hey Fleaflo:
Sorry for the late reply to your question. I usually only check the board once a week or so. Too busy!!

Yeah, I saw a bit of Marc Anthony. We were doing the rounds that night but we were at system between 3:30 - 4:30 approx. He was playing more progressive at that point, although I've been told he was more 'circuit-y' before then.

I haven't been to Stereo yet, but I still remember hearing Mark play at Playground in Montreal many years ago! What a place! Ahhh memories!

Wave

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Wave:
...but I still remember hearing Mark play at Playground in Montreal many years ago! What a place! Ahhh memories!

Wave

WORD!!! Those sets were legendary.