• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Breakspoll 2006 Results

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Best DJ
WINNER: Krafty Kuts
Atomic Hooligan
Breakfastaz
Meat Katie
Plump DJs

Outstanding Contribution To Breaks
WINNER: Meat Katie
Adam Freeland
Deekline & Wizard
Paul Arnold
Plump DJs

Best Producer
WINNER: Plump DJs
Deekline & Wizard
Madox
Splitloop
Stanton Warriors

Breakthrough Producer
WINNER: The Rogue Element
CTRL-Z
Dopamine
Metric
NAPT

Breakthrough Act
WINNER: NAPT
Clive Morley
CTRL-Z
Steelo
Steelzawheelz

Best Single
WINNER: Dopamine - Hold you
Deekline & Wizard - All your love
Stanton Warriors - Pop ya cork
The Freestylers & Pendulum - Fasten your seatbelts
Vandal - Mad as hell

Best Remix
WINNER: Drummatic Twins - Feelin Kinda Strange (Bass Kleph & Nick Thayer remix)
Diverted - Tholid (Vlad Remix)
Gorillaz - Feel Good (Stanton Warriors Mix)
Plaza De Funk - Got the funk (Madox Mix)
Splitloop - Both Knees (Breakfastaz Remix)

Best Label
WINNER: Fingerlickin'
Lot 49
Mantra Breaks
TCR
West Records

Breakthrough Label
WINNER: Broke
Burrito
Menu Music
Splank!
Title Fight Recordings

Best Album
WINNER: Atomic Hooligan - You are here
General Midi - Midi style
ILS - Bohemia
Splitloop - Here on business
The Rogue Element - Rogue rock

Best Compilation
WINNER: Plump DJs - Saturday night lotion
Breakspoll presents: Vol. 1 - The Breakfastaz
Fabric 21 - Meat Katie
TCR 100 mixed by Rennie Pilgrim
Y4K presents: Evil Nine

Best Magazine
WINNER: MOFO
DJ
IDJ
Knowledge
Mixmag

Best Breaks Retailer
WINNER: Know how Records
Chemical Records
Decksterity
Juno
Streetwise Music

Best Website
WINNER: Nuskoolbreaks.co.uk
Bijou Breaks
breakbeatworldwide
Fingerlickin'
Ibreaks

Best Club / Event
WINNER: Eargasm
Chew The Fat
Fabriclive
HUM
Spectrum

Best Radio Show
WINNER: Annie Nightingale
Menu music sessions
MJooGoo - Highheels Sessions
Strongarm Session (Elite Force)
Tayo - Dread at the controls

Best Radio Station
WINNER: Breaks FM
BBC Radio 1
Ibreaks
nuskoolbreaks.co.uk
Proton Radio

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
sounds like pretty standard fare finger lickin and artists cleaning up as usual. what about the new sounds of breaks? fort knox, agfa, Vinyl ritchie, smalltown djs guess we just aren't making enough impact overseas YET.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
to clarify, the breaks world has the same issue with 'top 40' shite as every other genre of music, thus the truly great producers/dj's often go relatively unnoticed because they go against the grain.

i'm not saying the winners aren't amazing at what they do.. merely that it's just another unnecessary popularity contest.

..and how the fuck did Myagi not win the breakthrough producer award!? he was a total label whore with like 300 releases under his belt this year..

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
I dunno, I can't say I actually disagree with any of those names winning.
well except Napt won breakthrough act, and surprised Myagi's name is no where to be found in either breakthrough act or producer. but at the same time, the Rogue Element did cause a LOT of reaction as well last year.

my only other question is why I didnt ever know about Know How Records before.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
actually - it was a great time. simon played a great set at both the night of and the afterparty, and theres a lot more recognition being passed on to people who arnt necessarily big names.

fingerlickin still dominated a lot of the categories, but it was totally deserved, as per usual. as much as theres a backlash against them, they still consitently put out some of the best tracks in the business and the rewards consistently reflect that.

as for the lack of cancon, things are improving IMO, but we shouldn't really care that much....we do our own thing and do it well.

keld

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:
breakspoll is such bullshit.
i'd agree but maybe for different reasons...

fort knox, agfa, Vinyl ritchie, smalltown djs guess we just aren't making enough impact overseas YET.
unless these guys are moving to london i don't imagine they will ever make much impact overseas. the networking element is crucial. being friends with other djs/promoters/etc, running your own night, playing countless local gigs, radio, generally sucking dick, etc.

santos & madox are the best in breaks imo and even THEY don't win shit and get shitty timeslots (11pm, room 2). they rarely play london and aren't recognised by the average punter. there will never be much cancon in breaks because breaks is a london based scene. just the odd myagi and madox here and there.

Last edited:

keld

TRIBE Member
sickens me to see cunts like clive morley playing room1 at fabric / getting noms for best breakthrough act purely based on his networking efforts (which are shameful imo).

wanted to catch your set mate but troublesoup had the same slot! =/

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
thats ok mate! i nearly missed it, was stuck in room one getting mashed up to atomic hooligans live show.

hung out with the italians all weekend - it was madness...they opened room 3 at SE1 the following night which may have been the worst programming choice i have EVER seen!

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Hipsterave said:
sounds like pretty standard fare finger lickin and artists cleaning up as usual. what about the new sounds of breaks? fort knox, agfa, Vinyl ritchie, smalltown djs guess we just aren't making enough impact overseas YET.
To be fair, this is a different sound all together and lacks the urgency and progression that characterizes its more uptemp cousins. Not to say I'm not down with the sound, because I am, but don't hold your breath for any of these artists to get recognized at in fourms such as breakspoll.

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
Regardless of whatever arguments people will come up with against this (beat structure, history, etc), spencers totally right. If you were to ask the majority of UK listeners if those artists produced breaks, you would hear a no as a response.

Not saying I agree, but Breakspoll is for sure the product of the nuskool sound and reflects that accordingly. I don't really see that changing either, mostly because, IMO, the majority of people who go to breakspoll wouldnt WANT it to. There are other forums for the funkier side of things, and in North America, we integrate it with breaks, but that doesnt happen so much in the UK.

Chicago Kid

TRIBE Member
^^^ Bro, I want to hear ALL about your night(s). I told Nightingale to slap your ass in the booth (and score me some free shit)!:D

Details, bruvva, details. How was the after-party at SE1 the next day?...and wasn't there some five-a-side footie tourney being played or something?

Taro

TRIBE Member
keld said:
santos & madox are the best in breaks imo and even THEY don't win shit and get shitty timeslots (11pm, room 2). they rarely play london and aren't recognised by the average punter. there will never be much cancon in breaks because breaks is a london based scene. just the odd myagi and madox here and there.
yeah I'm right on the same wavelength here - 11 pm, that's a joke..:rolleyes:

sad state of affairs - didn't realize clive was getting so much 'respect'

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
the after party was mental. it was a pretty rock n roll couple of days....highlights of my parties were klaus hill and dopamine, breakfastaz, rennie pilgrem, atomic hooligan live (and the vs krafty sets).....great to talk to napt and the breakfastaz again as well

lowlights pretty low, but thats ok. everythings a matter of opinion i suppose!

got pretty mangled, got networked a few times which is always funny, did some networking of my own and just generally got pretty messy - really good fun.

spent most of the weekend with plaza de funk and the west boys, madox and santos, and a lot of the funky crew inc simon and splank. Got to spend some good time with flore and cedric benoit too which was nice, we've all talked for ages but never met, and that was kind of my theme for the weekend.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
!Myagi! said:
Regardless of whatever arguments people will come up with against this (beat structure, history, etc), spencers totally right. If you were to ask the majority of UK listeners if those artists produced breaks, you would hear a no as a response.
sad but true...

most non-north american 'breaks' heads have no sense of where the genre actually came from. you owuld think the genre name was a dead giveaway, but....

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
see, i dont view it as sad at all. its just different.

those guy draw inspiration from all sources, same as the more midtempo funky guys do, but its just a different geneaology.

in canada we're a little different because we have ties to a lot wider a variety of styles.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
don't get me wrong, i'm down for all types of breaks, and i respect the diversity. i just get a little dismayed when i think of how many people would exclude the north american funky business from the 'breaks' genre.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
keld said:
santos & madox are the best in breaks imo
definitely.

sounds like those who went had a good time, but to me rubbing elbows with a bunch of heavyweights whom i have never met sounds like the makings of a horribly awkward experience.. social anxiety rules.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Spinsah said:
To be fair, this is a different sound all together and lacks the urgency and progression that characterizes its more uptemp cousins. Not to say I'm not down with the sound, because I am, but don't hold your breath for any of these artists to get recognized at in fourms such as breakspoll.
categories by tempo that would help solve the problem.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:
rubbing elbows with a bunch of heavyweights whom i have never met sounds like the makings of a horribly awkward experience..:0
well....elbows would be less awkward than other body parts.

in all seriousness, i think north american artists shouldn't wait for the uk spotlight - and should keep at their styles until it latches on more and more. When your style is finally getting the attention it deserves, you will get the credit - not the uk, or some british label, or some british award.

its funny, i keep thinking about WMC and how many artists are actually from Miami (or Florida at all). Why not have it in NYC for all its worth?

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
Getting the attention you deserve happens in clubs, not in awards ceremonies. :) Would be nice to get something at some point, but no breath is being held over here :)

The Electrician

TRIBE Promoter
Awards are lamecore... Artists shouldn't win awards... it just boosts their EGO, and that is what there is WAAAAY too much of in the DJ community (if you can call it a community) is EGO...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories