1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Breakfest Memories... If you can still remember anything after all these years...

Discussion in 'Breaks Room' started by The Electrician, Aug 31, 2003.

1. The Electrician

The Electrician TRIBE Promoter

Well tonight is the night... Breakfest has it's 4th year anniversary party. I remember way back in the day at WEMF 99 on our way out from that insane weekend when Pat and Franse asked me to be a resident at a new monthly he wanted to start up at the Elmocombo called BREAKFAST, Which later turned into BREAKFEST, by popular demand and the lack of info about why it was called Breakfast in the first place LoL. But I said... Ummm hell YEAH Im down for that! that is the best idea I have ever heard for a new night... Lo and behold that breakfest would totally tear it up for the past 4 years... Through the good times and the bad times.. and the BEST times.. So come make this 4th year one of the best times ever...

Breakfest is an important part of breaks and will always be...

see ya tonight!!!

Wes

Last edited: Aug 31, 2003
  2. Robb G

Robb G TRIBE Promoter

Breakfest was THE breakbeat weekly that revived the breaks scene in this city and helped kick-start the second coming of breaks in Toronto.

I used to drive down from Barrie with the biggest smile on my face for my once a month residency and car loads of us would make the trek at least every other week regardless of who was playing.

Props to Pat & Franse and all those who helped them make it through 4 whole years!

P.S. I saw "Ice-T" on the subway last week and had the urge to ask him if he was gonna make it out but he looked like he was in a hurry.

Robb

3. The Electrician

LOL... I sae Ice- a few months ago...

He's still a goof!

4. funkNstyle

funkNstyle TRIBE Member

Breakfest was my birth into a full blown breakbeat junkie. After liking breaks for quite some time and hearing my sister talk about breakfest not long after the start - I ventured down on my own with my good friend Josh.
    We were only 16 years old - but the fake ID's were turned a blind-eye by the coolest door man (i forget his name) ever!

It then became a routine to head down on Sunday nights, every week. Dance from start to close and miss school the next day. I ended up getting kicked out of that particular highschool for attendance issues..... but to be honest - The times, memories, tunes and abuse i put my body/mind through was totally worth it.

That period of time will never happen again, or even come close. At that time eveything was right with the world - breaks were the driving force to make it to the weekend - just to cut lose for a few hours and kick it with my second family, the breaks community.

Aside from Breakfest providing some of the bet times of my life - they also gave me my first real gig in Toronto, when they moved to System. Breakfest and more importantly breaks is my life, its a way of life and it's in my blood.

Cheers to innvovators like Breakfest and all those who were there to experience it along side myself.

TONIGHT WE PARTY!

Jonny

5. Big League Chu

Big League Chu TRIBE Member

When Pat and France first approached me on the roof of Limelight about doing a residency at the Elmo I was very skeptical and thought it would probably not last.
    After the first few shows I thought for sure it wouldn't last. The shows were small and I could never understand they're flyering techniques. They would stand in a flyer line and would only flyer to people who they felt would bring a good vibe. So there they would sit with two sets of flyers one for whatever big party was goin on and underneath the Breakfest flyer. If some undesirable asked them what they were flyering they would give them the other flyer. I couldn't understand how a struggling night could survive with this reckless type of promotion.
    However, it worked after a few months of plugging a way Breakfest thrived. It was an institution built on vibe because of their initial promotion techniques. Breakfest was built on good people and it continues to bring a good friendly crowd.

Breakfest was also built on the music, Pat and France placed their trust in the initial residents The Electrician, Brain and myself to do our thing.
    They then were open to adding quality guys like Dave Saddler and Meric to the picture and they were not disappointed. Occassionally we'd have rotating guests including DMonic and Robb G and with that they proved that a local jam at the street level could suceed.

Happy Birthday Breakfest!! Has it been 4 yrs? wow what a great trip its been heres to many more!

6. The Electrician

Oops.. I ment weekly in my blurb.. not monthly...

Nice one me..

7. Miss Michie

Miss Michie TRIBE Member

wow.. where to start with the memories

I don't remember how I heard about Breakfest but I ended up there one night with a few good friends about 3 1/2 - 4 years ago... well.. right when it started up

I remember just going in every sunday KNOWING that I was going to have a good time.. and leaving with a huge smile on my face and tons of new friends.. many which I still know today.. and DEFINITELY missing school the next day... i had attendance issues too :p

I even still have my official breakfest card! lol i loved that it kinda felt like being in the most WIKKED "club" ever... where the music was always rockin.. the faces were always smiling.. and ppl just never stopped dancing .. I credit my dancing skills to breakfest because when I started going to them... my dancing was pretty lame.. but after watching and learning from some of the best breakers and dancers in the scene.. i developed my style in what it is today...

anyway
    so many memories in that place... that i won't forget for the rest of life... we basically grew up there.. "basically" ;)

bottom line

Franse and Pat ... you started something 4 years ago that fueled the breaks scene in t.o.... and selective as you guys were in the crowd you brought in... you gave a lot of ppl a awesome look into the world that is breaks.. you opened their eyes to how amazing the genre really is... and we can all understand why we fell in love with it in the first place

so happy 4 year

congrats boys!

Michie

8. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

i remember my first night at breakfest too....... a friend and i had been to Milanos and he said he wanted to go up to the Elmo to check out Breakfest. i was up for anything at that point, and off we went.

i didn't know how momentous that night would be, as it marked my entry into the breaks community and the beginning my full blown love of breaks too. a breaker chick was born that night!

it was mind blowing...being in this crappy bar, on a sunday night, and the entire place was GOING OFF!!! i smiled the whole time and hesistantly shook my ass on the dancefloor that first night. just like michie, i learned to get my groove on fully at breakfest. i had been into the electronic thing for about 8 months before i hit breakfest, but it was there that i truly found my groove on the dancefloor.

a few months later when i was a 'regular', i brought a good friend who was in town from Ottawa, and he was awestruck. the whole night he just kept saying 'you guys are soo lucky to have this night in toronto. i'm so jealous!' i remember when he said that being struck with the awesomeness of it all and how lucky we truly were!

after that sunday night, i was there almost every sunday night for the next year or so. then i moved from beign a student to actually working, so sadly sunday night outings were few and far between. now as a 'rave grandma', i rarely go out, but it its only breakfest events like sundays that get me outta my rocking chair:D

as has been said by many, hats off to pat and france for being such a powerful force in the breaks scene in toronto. breakfest truly affected the breaks community in a positive way. thanks for everything!

:)sarah

9. funkNstyle

funkNstyle TRIBE Member

^^^I miss grabing your ass..... oh wait, that was everywhere, not just Breakfest!

10. kick

kick TRIBE Member

i didnt start going to breakfest untill it was at system...

i met some very nice people who all of which ended up being huge influences, i learned that its good times to out to the club solo, and above all, i learned to drink like a champ ;)

11. twist

twist TRIBE Member

I swear to god those are my demos!

Best memory... took a break from studying at the new college residence to drop off a sketchily recorded new demo with my first and only "shelf" demo. I finished my pizza and went home. From zoo to elmo to element to elmo to system till infinity.

Pat... France... I owe all the breakbeat happiness I have to you. They had faith... I had dreams... We have a revolution.

I couldn't ask for two better friends. I couldn't ask for a more suppportive community. I couldn't ask for any more beautiful girls. I couldn't ask for anything more than what Breakfest has given us all.

Colin, Dave, Robb, Wes, Dan... You have and continue to inspire. Without you I couldn't be where I am. You reaffirm my faith in love for beats and you'll always be that little voice in my head pushing me harder. (except for Robb... maybe a little slower;) )

All we're missing now is a chick breaks dj. Hey Pat These shrooms are freakin me out. Lets go see where those breaks are coming from. Enter my sister... A chick that Kicks. My favourite Moanica:D