• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Branches of Trance

Access

TRIBE Member
How many branches or labels are there for different kinds of trance:

Trance
Psy Trance
Epic Trance
Uplifting Trance
Progressive Trance
Hard Trance
Dark Trance
Chilling Trance
Electro Trance
Acid Trance

Can anyone think of any others? Do you think any two branches are essentially the same?

Just trying to get some discussion goin in the Trance room

kodos

TRIBE Member
Ishkur is very inaccurate when it comes to trance... probably because he loathes it, is my guess.

If we're going to do this lets figure out the difference between a "movement" (substyle, subgenre) and an "aspect" (descriptive quality) of trance.

If I were to nitpick I'd chop the list up this-a-way:

Goa Trance
Psytrance (small T)
Epic Trance aka Uplifting Trance
Progressive Trance aka Deep Trance
Hard Trance
Acid Trance
Dream Trance (platipus et al - surely a style on its own)
Techtrance (again - small T)
Buttrock (ok that makes me laugh and it IS real at least)
Spugedelic Trance (that weird style from Finland and Oz - what else might ya call it?)

I'd put in a category for club & commercial trance but Ishkur does find a fine word for this in his deluded ramblings: Not Trance. :)

And realize this is extremely subjective and subject to one's thinking at the time!! Zow.

-blake-

TRIBE Member
I feel like tech-trance and hard-trance are the same thing.

I know a lot of online record stores consider overdose/deep mission type stuff tech-trance, but I'd be calling it hard trance...so who knows. Can anyone differeniate the two?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hamza

TRIBE Member
you forgot:

Drunk gino...Dippito Do Trance
and no shirt, big gay jock trance

and

hammered, horny chick trance

alcid

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by -blake-
I feel like tech-trance and hard-trance are the same thing.

I know a lot of online record stores consider overdose/deep mission type stuff tech-trance, but I'd be calling it hard trance...so who knows. Can anyone differeniate the two?
I consider tech-trance to be stuff more like Marco V style, whereas hard trance is more along the lines of Scott Project, Shokk, and Uberdruck.

Access

TRIBE Member
I consider tech-trance to be stuff more like Marco V style, whereas hard trance is more along the lines of Scott Project, Shokk, and Uberdruck.
I'd agree with this definition.

^NuERA^

TRIBE Member
^^ Id have to back that up as well..except I also associate tech trance with a lighter sound as well. like techyer sounding harder prog...

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
One term that never caught on:

POWER TRANCE

I believe it's another way of describing trancecore, which is now lumped together with hardstyle.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kodos

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hamza
you forgot:

Drunk gino...Dippito Do Trance
and no shirt, big gay jock trance

and

hammered, horny chick trance
Yeah, well thats just commercial dance garbage that superficially sounds like trance - but it ain't actually trance.

--

Techtrance is also the term used to describe the style of Midi Miliz, Spirallianz, new X-Dream, PPS Project, Son Kite, Yumade, and those sorts of groups... or shall we broaden the category and call it all 'Psychedelic Techtrance' to make all the difference?

Please, if you're going to even think about this, be informed - go check out some of the better tracks from those groups (Restore my Soul, Battlejuice, Fall Out or Universal Chaos, Metacrawl, Youngel, etc)... I'm not really into obsessive pigeon-holing but the sound these artists create is not easily lumped into any existing category mentioned here... why any fan of hard/dark trance doesn't check these guys out is completely baffling!