• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Boy, 12, Sticks Gum on $1.5M Painting

Onthereals

TRIBE Member
Boy, 12, Sticks Gum on $1.5M Painting Tue Feb 28, 7:40 PM ET


A 12-year-old visitor to the Detroit Institute of Arts stuck a wad of gum to a $1.5 million painting, leaving a stain the size of a quarter, officials say.
The boy was part of a school group from Holly that visited the museum on Friday, officials say. They say he took a piece of Wrigley's Extra Polar Ice gum out of his mouth and stuck it on Helen Frankenthaler's "The Bay," an abstract painting from 1963.
The museum acquired the work in 1965 and says it is worth about $1.5 million.
The gum stuck to the painting's lower left corner and did not adhere to the fiber of the canvas, officials told the Detroit Free Press. But it left a chemical residue about the size of a quarter, said Becky Hart, assistant curator of contemporary art.
The museum's conservation department is researching the chemicals in the gum to decide which solvent to use to clean it. The museum hopes to make the repair in two weeks and will keep "The Bay" on display in the meantime, she said.
"Our expectation is that the painting is going to be fine," Hart said.
Holly Academy director Julie Kildee said the boy had been suspended from the charter school and says his parents also have disciplined him.
"Even though we give very strict guidelines on proper behavior and we hold students to high standards, he is only 12 and I don't think he understood the ramifications of what he did before it happened, but he certainly understands the severity of it now," said Kildee.
___
On the Net:
Detroit Institute of Arts: http://www.dia.org
___
Information from: Detroit Free Press, http://www.freep.com
 

Kinger

TRIBE Member
This type of behaviour is nothing new. Now that seven year old girl. She's taking it to a new and wonderful level.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Kiera

TRIBE Member
Onthereals said:
he is only 12 and I don't think he understood the ramifications of what he did before it happened, but he certainly understands the severity of it now," said Kildee.
:rolleyes: please. he's 12 years old thats hardly a child. I'd expect that from a 3 year old but 12? He knows full well what he was doing unless he was part of a "special" class. Which the article never states.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kmac

TRIBE Member
One time on a school trip I stealthly stuck gum in Derek's mullet. To add insult to injury, when he found out there was gum in his hair, he yelled "fuck" and got detention for swearing. To make matters worse, he had to cut his mullet off.

To this day I still feel terrible about it and was telling the story recently to someone I knew from back in the day. I said how bad I felt and how I'm glad Derek didn't know it was me. Buddy told me: "Derek did know it was you but he had a huge crush on you so he didn't say anything."

Not quite the same as a $1.5 million painting, but Derek, if you're out there, I'm so sorry.
 

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
Kiera said:
:rolleyes: please. he's 12 years old thats hardly a child. I'd expect that from a 3 year old but 12? He knows full well what he was doing unless he was part of a "special" class. Which the article never states.
agreed.what better time than now to teach him that his actions have consequences.
 

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Kiera said:
:rolleyes: please. he's 12 years old thats hardly a child. I'd expect that from a 3 year old but 12? He knows full well what he was doing unless he was part of a "special" class. Which the article never states.
My brother is 12 and he's a total shit disturber, but I wouldn't expect that he would fully grasp the fact that the painting is worth $1.5million ....ask him how many allowances that is and he'd probably say 100.

We tell kids that age not to do things all the time, and we can even explain "it's worth a lot of money" but it's pretty hard to get a kid that age to understand the value of art.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

quantumize

TRIBE Member
kmac said:
One time on a school trip I stealthly stuck gum in Derek's mullet. To add insult to injury, when he found out there was gum in his hair, he yelled "fuck" and got detention for swearing. To make matters worse, he had to cut his mullet off.

To this day I still feel terrible about it and was telling the story recently to someone I knew from back in the day. I said how bad I felt and how I'm glad Derek didn't know it was me. Buddy told me: "Derek did know it was you but he had a huge crush on you so he didn't say anything."

Not quite the same as a $1.5 million painting, but Derek, if you're out there, I'm so sorry.
that is a really cool story, you should at least call him, at the very least u owe derek a drink...
 

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Onthereals said:
Boy, 12, Sticks Gum on $1.5M Painting Tue Feb 28, 7:40 PM ET
....his parents also have disciplined him.
YEAH RIGHT!



Timmy, go do your room.
"What are we going to do with that silly dikens?"


WHITE PEOPLE! YOU NEED TO BEAT YOUR CHILDREN DAMNIT!
 

KiFe

TRIBE Member
kmac said:
One time on a school trip I stealthly stuck gum in Derek's mullet. To add insult to injury, when he found out there was gum in his hair, he yelled "fuck" and got detention for swearing. To make matters worse, he had to cut his mullet off.

To this day I still feel terrible about it and was telling the story recently to someone I knew from back in the day. I said how bad I felt and how I'm glad Derek didn't know it was me. Buddy told me: "Derek did know it was you but he had a huge crush on you so he didn't say anything."
peh..that's nothing.

One day in music class, right after lunch recess, we were all heading back into the portable... and.. well it was late summer, the caterpillars were out. Every kid had caterpillars they were petting and feeding and keeping in jars.. hell, it was the thing to do at the time.
So i took it to a whole new level and decided that this mikey kid deserved to have a 'pillar tossed into his wig. Kid had the biggest white-boy-afro you've ever seen, mad curly hair. And lemme tell you.. .caterpillars may go into a wig like that whole, but they come back out in multiple pieces. Kid was crying like a banshee as he removed fragment after fragment of sliced up caterpillar.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Fucking art people are ridiculous.
What are they teaching him by suspending him?
That fucking work that is revered by a bunch of aging European art critics and institutions run by a bunch of black market painting Nazis is worth something more than what they deem it to be?

Totally stupid.

I think we have an Istvan Kantor in our hands. If he was my kid, I'd would laugh my ass off.
 

kaniz

TRIBE Member
A girl in my grade 8 grad trip to Niagara falls, a girl in my class pinched the nose off of a wax sculpture.

People were not impressed.
I think she is preggers and on welfare now.

(I made up that last line)
 

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
MoFo said:
Fucking art people are ridiculous.
What are they teaching him by suspending him?
That fucking work that is revered by a bunch of aging European art critics and institutions run by a bunch of black market painting Nazis is worth something more than what they deem it to be?

Totally stupid.

I think we have an Istvan Kantor in our hands. If he was my kid, I'd would laugh my ass off.
And clearly the painting is worthless with the quarter-sized stain. Plus it's an abstract work. Holy take a shit on a canvas Batman. Give me a bowl of fruit or a naked bitch with no arms.
 

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
Skipper said:
My brother is 12 and he's a total shit disturber, but I wouldn't expect that he would fully grasp the fact that the painting is worth $1.5million ....ask him how many allowances that is and he'd probably say 100.

We tell kids that age not to do things all the time, and we can even explain "it's worth a lot of money" but it's pretty hard to get a kid that age to understand the value of art.
what's there to fully grasp? don't stick gum on other people's stuff especially when you're in a fucking museum. i know 3 year-olds smarter than that.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top