• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

"Boxing Week" sales are starting already and it is not even Christmas yet!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Just when I sort of accepted Halloween candy in stores in July... Boxing Day/Week sales are starting even now. WTF?!

silver1

TRIBE Member
"Boxing Week" sales actually started in November (i.e. Canada's adoption of Black Friday). You won't really find any deals/lower prices now than you would have found back in November.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I'm shopping for a TV and I'm not all that impressed. I was hopping they'd go bigger for cheaper, but no, they're pushing that useless UHD 4k screen.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Lojack

TRIBE Member
I usually wait until after Xmas.. usually there are better deals closer to January, even at the risk of waiting for a delivery rather than taking it there.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I'm shopping for a TV and I'm not all that impressed. I was hopping they'd go bigger for cheaper, but no, they're pushing that useless UHD 4k screen.
best time to buy a TV is in mid Jan, just before super bowl. TRUST

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Unless there's something really compelling that pops up on boxing day, I'm going to wait it out until then.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I saw a 4K at walmart, It looked fantastic. I was taken aback.

There's an upscaling feature as well. On whatever brand..

praktik

TRIBE Member
4k makes the most sense for projectors, even at screen sizes of 60" it has marginal benefit.

The TV "guts" behind motion resolution, colour accuracy, panel uniformity and contrast ratio can all combine to make a 1080p TV far superior to a 4k tv.

HDR I think has more promise than 4k, in terms of making a tangible image quality improvement perceptible by the consumer on the type of screens we have in our living rooms.

Advice for TV's today follows this hierarchy:
- Vizio if you want the best image quality you can get on a budget
- Samsung midrange/low high end is good if you have more to spend
- panasonic still has the pedigree behind its TV "guts" to make them the most attractive at the top of the line where money is less important than image quality

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
There was this crazy deal that amazon US posted during Black Friday. It was something ridiculous like $600 USD. J ended up buying a 4k from amazon ca since his older Samsung conked out.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
4k makes the most sense for projectors, even at screen sizes of 60" it has marginal benefit.

The TV "guts" behind motion resolution, colour accuracy, panel uniformity and contrast ratio can all combine to make a 1080p TV far superior to a 4k tv.

HDR I think has more promise than 4k, in terms of making a tangible image quality improvement perceptible by the consumer on the type of screens we have in our living rooms.

Advice for TV's today follows this hierarchy:
- Vizio if you want the best image quality you can get on a budget
- Samsung midrange/low high end is good if you have more to spend
- panasonic still has the pedigree behind its TV "guts" to make them the most attractive at the top of the line where money is less important than image quality
What about the LG's ?

praktik

TRIBE Member
If you're looking at OLED LG has the best price/performance ratio but expecting you are talking LCD/LEDs in which case I typically prefer Vizio/Samsung panels.

Read reviews though, competition is fierce in the mid and low ranges, and Samsung/LG/Vizio should be roughly equivalent there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

wickedken

TRIBE Member
How can you say a 1080p is "far superior" to a 4k when the sole defining feature of the 4k is the number of pixels, which by definition is a multiple of the lesser. Seriously it's not like those techno features aren't available for 4k sets as well. It's like comparing a Retina screen to a non-retina. Sources however...

praktik

TRIBE Member
How can you say a 1080p is "far superior" to a 4k when the sole defining feature of the 4k is the number of pixels, which by definition is a multiple of the lesser. Seriously it's not like those techno features aren't available for 4k sets as well. It's like comparing a Retina screen to a non-retina. Sources however...
Just saying it's possible for 1080p screens to be FAR superior to 4k screens, that said given everything is on LCD panels it is likely that many shortcomings on motion resolution/contrast ratio and uniformity will be challenges for both 1080p and 4k TV's to overcome.

So if all those other characteristics are equal, then the 4k will be better. That said, if you have a TV like a Pioneer Kuro, the last gen of Panasonic plasmas, or one of the best made, top end LEDs from the last two years - any of these 1080p TV's will look objectively better than a 4k tv that stumbles on motion resolution, colour accuracy, uniformity or contrast ratio. The only 4k TV's that can touch say, a Panasonic ZT are OLED or some VERY expensive top of the range LCDs that only just came out and are far out of the price range of the typical home buyer (ie $3500+)

The Motion Pictures Experts Group still prizes contrast ratio as the #1 factor that drives image quality - something HDR addresses (max brightness is higher for instance) and so this, rather than 4k, probably has a better chance of giving us objectively better image quality that's really noticed. The other issue with 4k is that on screens 65" or less the improved resolution is barely perceptible to the human eye (big difference for projectors tho and massive screens 70"+). Similar issue affected 1080p when it came out - if you had a 40" tv or less the extra pixels really did nothing for you.

praktik

TRIBE Member
4K OLED TV Lays Plasma Ghost to Rest; Panasonic Pips LG

^^recent shootout showing the first 4k TV's to beat a 1080p plasma in a blind shootout (but note the ZT still was better for some attendees)

Three TV improvements more worthwhile than Ultra HD 4K - CNET

This article is three years old but still on the money. I like how compression is mentioned as the hobbling of bandwidth from service providers (both cable and now streaming) will destroy image quality for all of us.

This is why I am hunting down the biggest files and getting extra storage in my NAS all the time, why would I watch Apocalypse Now at anything less than full bluray level bit rates??

As pipes get fatter to deliver us higher bit rates, as HDMI and interconnect standards improve we will all get more and more out of our TVs

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
After doing a quick search for a new 50inch the

VIZIO M50-C1 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2015)

is looking pretty good, in that $600-$700 range

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
All recent people I know who went with Vizio *do not regret it! *
Trying out a Vizio E Series for my Gaming set up in our new place ! didnt want something large, so scored a 32 inch that was listed in a 2015 best gaming tv list !

not expensive either due to amazon and boxing day sales.

If its nice and i like it likely will consider something 50-55 inch for our living room to replace my current TV....

Which is a 46 inch Dynex that i think it 5-6 years old, not a single burnt pixel and still do this day has been one of the best TV purchases for 500$ i have ever had.

Will be fun to see the difference when we move to a BIG BOY TV :)

Def going to see how the LCD fairs in our new space though as there is WAY more natural light, so will be doing some research on best Type for the ambient light during the day vs at night.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
if i remember correctly ... LCD's/LED's are much better in brighter rooms than the plasma's...it's a brighter display. You'll have no problem.. i guess you can check which tv gives off the least amount of Flare

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders