• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

boxing making a come back?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
9 baggies of coke found on the dead driver.
10th opened baggie found in car.
sounds like Hec is brain dead.
bad buzz.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Ricky Hatton vs Vyacheslav Senchenko

Hatton was up 2 points end of the 6th. he got sloppy ( and tired ), lost the 7th and 8th, and a wicked body shot in the 9th dropped him.
Manchester can't win twice in a day.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
^^^
didn't get to see it, was working

Superchannel has completely dropped the ball on Showtime fights, using some b.s. excuse for not carrying them anymore

that said, bit of a break this Saturday as TSN2 is showing the Cotto-Trout card live

toney

TRIBE Member
Guerrero / Berto was the fight of the weekend!

Broner ; Im a believer. He unlike Berto understood how to use the shoulder-roll on the phone defence.

Rios / Alvarez is still FOTY IMO

I really hope Marquez wins this time around.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Is it too early to call another epic Bob Arum screwjob on Juan Manuel Márquez?
took it out of the old man's hands!

Hey where are all the chirpers who insisted here that Pacquiao-Bradley was fixed?
Tim Bradley was on his coach last night ruing his lost millions and watching JMM stun Pacman (and the boxing worlds).
Boxing's got problems, incompetence, but it ain't fixed. As last nite proved.

Juan Love

TRIBE Member
Shades of Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams on that KO.

HBO is killing me with their telecasts as of late...isn't it time they put Larry the Merchant of Venice out to pasture?
Also...I call bad form with the exploitative showing Mrs. PACMAN's reaction to her husband 2 Live Crew'd by the Spartan Marquez.

However, it's wasn't all bad...while I was critical at first of Roy Jones' skills as a commentator...I have grown to enjoy his insights; a special blend of the things only a champion can see mixed with his natural pomp and punch-drunk circumstance. He's a wonderful foil to Jim Lampley's straight man in Hipster glasses. But, on epic fight nights like that...one really does feel the void left behind by the passing of Emanuel Steward.

RIP - Kronk forever!

toney

TRIBE Member
^
Merchant's last telecast is tomorrow Khan/Molina. He IMO is the best. RIP to Emanuel who would've been reminded of Hearns KO of Duran .. or Hearns getting KO'd by Hagler as this was a WAR. And this destruction has taken a toll on the game ... need to re-calibrate the entire welterweight division!

The Marquez PED question is fair IMO. Even when he has landed a perfect punch in his career it has never been so destructive. First he drops him with one punch and then he puts him to sleep? This is not Pac destroying Barrera or DLH these were brutal punches. From a guy who would drink his own piss now working with tainted strenght coach ; with no pre-fight testing ; these are legitimate questions. I rooted for Marquez as a precision counter puncher who out thought his opponent with brilliant timing and percision. Not the incredible hulk.

Juan Love

TRIBE Member
Ah, of course, the Motor City Cobra STRIKES!

Marquez wanted it bad...Faustian deal bad. Anyone could see he wasn't going to be denied this time. And, if there is a way to get around pissing hot, Memo Heredia would know how to do it.

"The Absence of Evidence is not the Evidence of Absence..."

Another interesting twist on the PED question though...sure, Manny is older; he has been taking more abuse in his last few fights and from bigger guys but was Marquez just bigger or was Manny also smaller? There is room for speculation that as a congressman and born again Christian...might be the case that PAC and his camp left a little sum-sumthin' out of his supplement regime this time at the dance.

Juan Love

TRIBE Member
thoughts on the post Freddy Roach-Amir Khan vs. Molina contra?
anyone else notice Oscar and a brilliantly disguised Canelo Alvarez at ring-side?

I thought Khan looked great...his speed and accuracy is unreal but Molina was only coming back at him stronger and stronger. Great fight!

And, speaking of Kronk and Queensberry Warfare...who can forget this classic humdinger of a stinger?

[YOUTUBE]VNxjs-asU2g[/YOUTUBE]

Juan Love

TRIBE Member
Guerrero / Berto was the fight of the weekend!

Broner ; Im a believer. He unlike Berto understood how to use the shoulder-roll on the phone defence.

Rios / Alvarez is still FOTY IMO

I really hope Marquez wins this time around.
Alright after sifting through just about every fight from 2012 with the help of the good people over at All The Best Fights, I'm going with these picks for 2012 FOTY.

1. Rios / Alvarado - Total Warfare.

2. Martinez / Chavez - Watching Sergio work is "hands down" always electrifying...(see what I did there?)...but, that last round was probably best single round of the year...
Junior's final salvo had us all at the edge of our seats and it was so cache money just for the facials on Papi alone.

3. Garcia vs. Kahn - this fight had it all. Great story-telling, speed, power, technique, solid exchanges, a wicked almost upset of a finish and heel manager of the year in Pops Garcia. Can't wait for these two to bang again...with a new and improved Amir Kahn and a young champion in Garcia dealing with the trials and tribulations of being the man with the strap.

4. Guerrero vs. Berto - this was all heart, toughness and determination. Two elite level fighters who sort of cancelled out one-another's game plans just stood toe to toe, tooth and nail and banged it out. Pretty epic stuff.

5. The PACMAN Assassination comes in at five. A single punch changed the entire complexion of the division and arguably the face of the sport.

Also...looking forward, Triple G...Gennady Golovkin is the truth....I'd like to see him enter the top tier but I'm pretty sure with hands like his it's just too risky for top fighters to step into the arena with a guy like this with the potential to end your career. Gabriel Rosado showed a mega-tonne of heart in that last fight and at moments looked to be surging back...but, he was a bloody mess...good stoppage by his corner, if this went any deeper we could have been heading into Gerald McClellan territory.

Strange choice though for top tier of the division...Chavez Jr, Martinez, Ward, Kid Chocolate...what do you do? Get at him while he is still a little unpolished with his footwork and defense or duck him and risk being stalked around the ring later by a lethal power puncher with a surgical jab AND the acumen of a seasoned pro? Eitherway, this GGG's a problem.

toney

TRIBE Member
Showtime put on a crazy card this past Saturday.

Berto getting KO'd in round 12 against tough as hell Soto-Karass is a rough way to go out. His shoulder injury in the 4th was legit and he was fighting one armed throughout most of the contest. Im not a huge Berto fan , and felt he lost against both Ortiz and Guerrero (who then got the Mayweather bouts) ((not to mention steriods)) but to be at a cross-roads and then go out like that ... it's a stay down situation. Or maybe him and Khan should see who's got more in the tank.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Berto-Khan? Talk about a loser 'retires' match!
Yes, good card. I liked Thurman-Chavez the best coz it had the highest skill level plus the requisite action. Serious hard punches thrown. Middle bout had an epic pace for 6 rounds, but was a lot of windmilly, arm punches. Plus was a tad one-sided.

toney

TRIBE Member
Berto-Ortiz-Khan ... all make great fights ... god love em for their imperfections .. but you're right Kerouac .. One more major loss and they need to look for other work.

Berto - Got used to soft opponents / poor defence (what was he thinking against Guerrero) / and always gets sucked into fighting the other guys style and comes up short when its time to bite down and slug it out.

Ortiz - He quit against killer puncher Maidana which is not quitting against Chris Byrd or Paulie M / Took an even easier out against Mayweather but not as bad as Silva did a few weeks back / Then the broken jaw was also legit quittage. I'll tune in next time he laces them up .. i mean gloves that is

Khan - I think management is an issue here ... He needed to read Joe Calzaghe 101 and follow it to a tee. The loss to Peterson was hometown trash plus roided up *Thanking Mr. Lucas for busting him in the face. Peterson ruins the rematch due to a positive test. Khan is then hastily brought into a fight against Garcia ... Garcia lands the money punch on a china chin in a fight Khan was looking good. ** To his credit he did not give up against Maidana.

Is it September yet? Thanks for this Top Rank / GB feud .. Fans are getting some great stuff !

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
Mayrunner will fight the Pac-Man may 2nd, I guess Mayrunner figures that the Pac-Man has finally slowed down to the point where he might stand a chance. Or maybe he talked the pac-man into wearing bubble wrap around his boxing gloves. I hope pac-man possumed Mayrunner into fighting him, and Floyd gets his head knocked off.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
maybe!
they're both reachable nowadays so far all the "5 years late" talk there's a higher percentage chance this will be a compelling fight.

toney

TRIBE Member
maybe!
they're both reachable nowadays so far all the "5 years late" talk there's a higher percentage chance this will be a compelling fight.

Kerouac - Great Article on cbc
Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Key facts about the big fight - CBC Sports - Sporting news, opinion, scores, standings, schedules

However, you didn't mention (lefty) Judahs' first 5 rounds against FM ; Those were among the best anyone has had against him. But u did give a shout out to Mr. Augustus so bravo to you sir.

Should be a great fight ; who know, mayweather may have to dip into his bag of tricks to win this one.