• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

boxing making a come back?

toney

TRIBE Member
Cotto Mayweather appears to be locked for May 5

Wonder if Arum will be involved with Cotto as I think his contract is up. If it is, then at least that paves the way for Mayweather / Pac in the fall .. which is the best time for a massive PPV as Kerouac wrote in his CBC piece.

Then Bradley / Pac or Peterson / Pac both become very interesting fights ; more so than another Marquez fight.

I really do see a 2012 Fall showdown; there's too much to lose ; legacy and $ if it doesnt happen. But yea, no one is ever going to accuse these two of Ali/Frazier or Hagler/Leoanrd/Duran/Hearns... You'd think Joe Calzaghe was their advisor.

toney

TRIBE Member
I think Froch beats Bute tomorrow in Nottingham by Decision. Froch is a fighter who wills to win plus a little hometown favour/bias to take those close rounds.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
yeah, Bute's gotta win a 9-3 type deal to get the nod there IMO. 8-4 and it's liable to be a draw.
pisses me off that Inter Box doesn't give a shit that nobody knows who Bute is outside of Quebec. I'm getting Ryder Hejsedal of that drug-addled lily white sport shoved down my throat at every turn, but if he beats Froch that's the biggest Canadian accomplishment in Europe of the weekend.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Lucian Bute got right destroyed today by Carl Froch. Not shocked he lost but at the manner - didn't think he'd get overpowered. You just can't get away with keeping your hand low and your head in the zone against the elite or near elite guys.

toney

TRIBE Member
Froch did not show much respect for Bute .. walked straight through his jab to pummel him down against the ropes.

In hindsight of Andrade could put Bute out cold, albeit on his feet, then it should be no surprise a demonically possessed Froch can get him out in 4! :D

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Some great fights and performances last couple of weeks overshadowed by Tapia and this:

Mitch Abramson, NY Daily News

The boxer Paul Williams, who recently signed a lucrative contract to face Saul (Canelo) Alvarez in September, was in a career-ending motorcycle accident on Sunday in a suburb of Atlanta that left him paralyzed from the waist down, his longtime manager George Peterson told the Daily News on Monday.

Nicknamed the “Punisher” because of his remarkable work-rate and granite chin, Williams is scheduled to have surgery on Wednesday in an attempt to stabilize his spinal column, which suffered traumatic damage in the accident, according to Peterson.

The two-time welterweight champion Williams was in Marietta, Ga., to attend his brother’s wedding on Monday and was driving back from the bachelor party around 7 a.m. on Sunday when he got into the accident, Peterson said. Williams was going around a curb when he swerved out of the way of a driver of a car who was on the inside lane that Williams told Peterson was “on his cell phone.”

Williams is listed in serious but stable condition and has full use of his upper body, Peterson said.

“He got separated from the motorcycle and must have gone about 65 feet in the air,” said Peterson, who left Williams’ side in the Atlanta area hospital to speak to the Daily News. He declined to give the name of the hospital to protect Williams’ privacy.

“He was doing about 75 mph on the motorcycle. When he came down, he came down on his back and when he came down on his back, of course he severed his spinal cord. He’s paralyzed from the waist down. In terms of him walking again... that will never happen.”

Peterson described Williams as being in good spirits despite the seriousness of the injury. Williams even joked to Peterson to bring his "mitt man" to his hospital room so he can continue to train for his Sept. 15 bout with Alvarez, the WBC middleweight champion. Peterson said the bout, which was to be shown on Pay-Per-View, was off.

“It’s the same old Paul,” Peterson said. “As I was walking out of the door to talk to you, he said, ‘Believe me, if I don’t ever box again, I’m going to do some stand-up comedy.’ He’s not suffering.”

Riding his bike was one of the few hobbies that Williams had, in addition to collecting guns, his longtime promoter, Dan Goossen told the Daily News. Peterson said he’s had a number of conversations with Williams about the dangers of riding his bike.

“Paul has a few hobbies that I’m not particularly fond of,” Goossen said. “One was guns, and this was one that George was on top of to keep him away from motorcycles. But I really don’t know too much about the circumstances as it relates to the motorcycle.”

Williams first rose to prominence as a 6-1 southpaw with an indestructible chin who won a decision against Antonio Margarito in 2007, who was then perhaps the most avoided fighter in the sport. Williams lost his next bout against Carlos Quintana by decision but quickly avenged that loss, stopping Quintana in the first round. His career had dipped recently when he endured a hellacious knockout at the hands of Sergio Martinez in 2010.

But he had been on the comeback trail, winning a disputed decision against Erislandy Lara last year before capturing a decision against Nobuhiro Ishida in February, the same Japanese boxer who halted James Kirkland in just one round.

Goossen promoted Williams for all of those bouts and was looking forward to Williams reclaiming his spot atop the rankings with a win against Alvarez.

“We’ve been together for many, many years,” Goossen said. “It’s shocking. That’s the best way I can describe it. I’m sitting here not grasping it yet.”

As for his Sept. 15 bout with Alvarez, Goossen didn’t have much to say.

“To tell you the truth, [the fight] hasn’t entered my mind, in terms of his boxing career,” Goossen said. “This is obviously devastating news from a personal standpoint and I think, just trying to come to grips with his part of it is tough right now. Life just has a certain way of changing day by day,” he added. “That’s why you cherish the time you have on this earth. It’s shocking news.”

toney

TRIBE Member
The Paul Williams thing has got me down.. He's got a great win over Sergio ; somewhat contested but certainly a great fight. The way he crushed Winky ; certainly the only time Winky was dominated for 11 rounds.

I'm not a huge fan of Alvarez but gave him respect for taking on LTP and was looking at this fight as a win for Paul; based on who's he fought and how well he did.

I gave Paul a clear win against Floyd during 2005-08 era had they met and think he would've given Manny tonnes of trouble. IMO the only one who could make him stop punching was Sergio in their rematch.

The HBO commentary was particularly nasty when he fought Lara. Roy Jones Jr. (of all people ; isn't he fighting next month??) saying that Paul taking too much punishment and should retire... Okay fine , Lara won the fight clear on points but didn't drop him and didn't stop Paul from coming forward while throwing a ton of punches.

Hope his surgery went well today with perserving his upperbody mechanics.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
This is why boxing is a joke, Pacquiao clearly won this fight. Pacquiao didn't do shit the last 4 rounds, but I thought he built enough of a lead in the first 8 that he had the fight wrapped up.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Total bullshit decision but man the pre-fight was pure jokes. They were so obviously pissed off at Pac for making them wait while he finished watching the Heat game, then wait while he rode the exercise bike before getting ready for the fight.

toney

TRIBE Member
^
Agreed pretty funny.

Boring fight with little drama. Pac clearly the winner.
I don't usually resort to Boxing is fixed theories .. but Arum is the biggest winner of all (which he has admitted to) now there is a rematch in Nov .. And maybe he'll get his trilogy ?? What a fucking joke.

Tim you're a nice enough guy , but you're not PPV material.

SJN

TRIBE Member
I don't usually resort to Boxing is fixed theories
Boxing is as dirty as Italian soccer.

this sets up a nice rematch ppv, and then Mayweather finally has a real valid reason to get the 60-40 or 70-30 split on the long awaited Mayweather-Pacquiao fight

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
yep, this is how boxing will get those 2 to fight... then the decision that goes to pac-man will setup a rematch so the fucking rats can squeeze every cent they can get from those 2 fighting

SJN

TRIBE Member
Here's the guy who "won" at the post-fight press conference LOL. If that doesn't scream "you should see the other guy", I don't know what does.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Just to add to the conspiracy theories:

-- looks like a rematch had already been scheduled last week: https://twitter.com/Timbradleyjr/status/207553002964398080

-- There was a lot of late money that came in on Bradley. There was a story about this just BEFORE the fight started, but I can't find it right now
Mandatory rematches are de rigeur for fighters of Mayweather and Pacquiao's stature, in nearly every fight. Therefore you can't just seize upon the 1 time out of 50 the guys lose and say "AHA". What about the other 49 times, including fights that went to the scorecards? And even when big name fighters lose, doesn't mean those rematches always get acted upon. Sometimes it makes more sense for a fighter to pursue another route.

The late money on Bradley was modest. Didn't move the lines much at all and the movement was typical of a fight where one guy is so overwhelmingly bet on in the weeks leading up to the fight. The odds become so favourable that the other guy is bet on a little bit. But quite bluntly, Bradley wasn't known enough to move the needle in any significant fashion.

Even a Bradley-Pacquiao rematch is less lucrative than a few other options Pacquiao could pursue. Before this, Bradley was drawing about 2K per fight. There are guys Pac could fight who'd bring their own constituency/ethnic group/bettors etc.

It also assumes that Bob Arum can make Manny do what he wants. Maybe for most fighters, but Manny's transcended that level of fighter. Ultimately, it's Manny that has the leverage to tell Arum what fights he wants.

I don't why people boxing's bad judging sends people into such ridiculous paroxysms. Boggles my mind. We see bad judging in MMA, suspendable hits that aren't called penalties in the NHL, umpires from the same crew that can't agree on a strike zone, blown replay scenarios in the NFL on a weekly basis, etc etc.

toney

TRIBE Member
Even a Bradley-Pacquiao rematch is less lucrative than a few other options Pacquiao could pursue. Before this, Bradley was drawing about 2K per fight. There are guys Pac could fight who'd bring their own constituency/ethnic group/bettors etc.

It also assumes that Bob Arum can make Manny do what he wants. Maybe for most fighters, but Manny's transcended that level of fighter. Ultimately, it's Manny that has the leverage to tell Arum what fights he wants.

None of which are Top Rank fighters. Hence, Arum would have to split the promotional rights and only get a % of one purse with say, Golden Boy or Dibella .. Plus if Khan or Ortiz won , then Arum cannot capitalise on that momentum.

With the exception of two offical cards scoring it for TB, there is zero need of a rematch ; It was a boring fight with a very tedious boxer who has no pop.

Then you have press row who scorted it 47-1 in favour of Pac and Officially it's 2-3 the other way

The rematch worth about $55 million gross ; TR owns 100% promotion and profits from both fighters and is in a good position whoever the winner. Maybe TB wins but PAC gets the decision ??? ; Can you say Triology!

Maybe Arum took a page out of Cheney's WMD plot for Iraq .. Or did Cheney steal it from Arum ?

:D

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
None of which are Top Rank fighters. Hence, Arum would have to split the promotional rights and only get a % of one purse with say, Golden Boy or Dibella .. Plus if Khan or Ortiz won , then Arum cannot capitalise on that momentum.

With the exception of two offical cards scoring it for TB, there is zero need of a rematch ; It was a boring fight with a very tedious boxer who has no pop.

Then you have press row who scorted it 47-1 in favour of Pac and Officially it's 2-3 the other way

The rematch worth about $55 million gross ; TR owns 100% promotion and profits from both fighters and is in a good position whoever the winner. Maybe TB wins but PAC gets the decision ??? ; Can you say Triology!

Maybe Arum took a page out of Cheney's WMD plot for Iraq .. Or did Cheney steal it from Arum ?

:D
yeah, i get the feud with Golden Boy, but even if he we go the in-house conspiracy, Brandon Rios is a Top Rank fighter.
Kills himself to make 135, is fighting at 140 in July so they could meet at a catchweight, brings the Mexican fanbase to the table, is a loose cannon so would make 24/7 entertaining, exciting style that would probably lead to a Pacquiao KO, which Manny kind of needs right now.
Much more sellable option than Bradley.

I mean the reaction to the fight you guys and others have is proof this would be a foolhardy strategy on Arum's part - he's a conniving fuck but he's not dumb. This has hardly whet the appetite for a rematch.

And let's remember, Arum's 81 in a few months. His lies may be deathless, but he's not. Doesn't do him or his son-in-law, who presumably will run the co., to not do the best by Manny.

Also, Saturday's fight was pretty damned good for 6-7 rounds. People are making it out to be a stinker but I think they're letting the bad taste of the decision affect their review of the fight itself, which was decent.